3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 11:04 AM by mikec_intel

D54250WYKH will not boot from USB

kdegraa

Hi,

I have one of these NUCs a D54250WYKH. It will not boot from a USB flash drive. It was booting from flash drives yesterday. However I did the following. I turned on the UEFI fast boot setting. Once I did this I found I could not access the BIOS. So I took the motherboard security jumper out and that reset the BIOS. Once back the NUC will not boot from a USB drive. I tried a number of different drives that worked previously and none will work.

To try to boot from USB I press F10 as the computer starts up. The boot devices appear. The USB drive appears with the entry

UEFI : USB : UEFI : USB : USB : USB : USB 2.0 Flash Drive 5.00 : PART 0 : OS BootLoader

This entry appears again

UEFI : USB : UEFI : USB : USB : USB : USB 2.0 Flash Drive 5.00 : PART 0 : OS BootLoader : P

Selecting either gives the same result. The screen flashes black and then goes back to the menu.

I've tried a few different bootable USB drives. I've tried both the back and front USB ports.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest, v 41.

I think it must be a BIOS setting that has changed causing this problem. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: D54250WYKH will not boot from USB
          mikec_intel

Hi kdegraa,

If Fast boot is enable, boot from Network / Optical / Removable devices and RAID configuration will be disabled. Also, video and USB devices (keyboards and drives) will not be available until after OS boot.

Removing the BIOS configuration jumper on the NUC allows you to update the BIOS and clear passwords only. The options to reset BIOS settings are 1) Pressing F9 from BIOS and 2) BIOS update.

If Fast Boot is enable and you need Boot Display Options (F2,F7,F10,F5); turn the NUC on, as soon as you are in the OS, unplug the power cord from the NUC then; plug it and turn the NUC on again the options will be available.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: D54250WYKH will not boot from USB
            kdegraa

Hi,

I think I've solved the issue.

If I press the F9 key as the NUC boots with a bootable USB device inserted, a different text menu comes up, giving the option to boot from the USB device or to continue booting.

When I choose the USB device it works.

So far so good.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: D54250WYKH will not boot from USB
              mikec_intel

Hi kdegraa,

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
              Mike C