2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2016 10:28 PM by BMEJ

Very Basic Sensor input - Using Eclipse

BMEJ

Hello,

I am trying to utilize some sensors (not sure which type yet) along with the Galileo using the Eclipse iot IDE in C/C++. 

If anyone is experienced with this, does the eclipse IDE have a serial monitor so I can visualize the program output from some input sensors?

What I'm thinking is, have an input sensor that has a wide range of values.  Then in my code, I would have "if" loops to execute some message or switch if the analog value reaches a certain point (this could be the wrong approach).

Temperature is a good example.  What would a simple C or C++ code look like for a project like this?  Not necessarily the whole code, but just a few lines showing how to read the input.

Could I use the GPIO pins for this? I notice there is only a few analog inputs on the Galileo.

Any help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: Very Basic Sensor input - Using Eclipse
          PabloM_Intel

Hi BMEJ,

The Eclipse IDE has a serial monitor where you can see the output of your program, the same goes for the Arduino IDE and the Intel XDK. If you want to see examples of temperature sensors I would suggest you to check the available UPM sensors. As stated in the Eclipse User Guide for C/C++, the UPM sensor library is a repository of sensor representations, written in C++ and utilizing MRAA (MRAA would be an input/output library that works as a translator between the GPIOs and the pins available on the Intel Galileo board). You can check the repository following this link http://iotdk.intel.com/docs/master/upm/. In the UPM Libraries section you’ll find examples for different purposes.

If you have previous experience with the Intel XDK or if you’re willing to give it a try, this IDE comes with a lot of templates for different sensors that you might find helpful.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 2. Re: Very Basic Sensor input - Using Eclipse
            BMEJ

Thanks for the reply!

I am used to using the Arduino IDE which is very simple compared to the Eclipse IDE, so I couldn't find the serial read button.

Thanks for the links, I will go do some reading.