8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2016 12:54 PM by JytteC

sys tray icon says 'Intel RST service not running', but...

JytteC

A good 2 weeks ago I got a new PC, Dell XPS 8900, with Windows 10.

Right after I got it up and running, Windows asked (insisted) I upgrade it to version 1511, so I did.

Last night Windows installed a new update, and I restarted.

Then noticed I suddenly have a new icon in my sys tray, icon with blue circle on it, which says 'Intel RST service not running'.

But, when I click on said icon, I open a page with Intel Rapid Storage Technology, on current status, with a big green checkmark and saying 'your system is functioning normally'.

So I'm at a loss at what's going on.

Anybody knows what to do, if anything?

Btw, I'm asked to provide a 'place' to put this in, and I have no clue, but it suggested Chipset, so here it is.

• 1. Re: sys tray icon says 'Intel RST service not running', but...
          allan_intel

Service not running happens because the computer does not have the latest Microsoft* Netf ramework https://www.microsoft.com/net

Please make sure you have loaded the latest Intel® Rapid Storage: Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver

Allan.

• 2. Re: sys tray icon says 'Intel RST service not running', but...
            JytteC

Thank you Allan for responding.  What I don't understand is why it will say 'not running' when it SEEMS to run perfectly fine (or else I wouldn't get 'functioning normally' would I?

• 3. Re: sys tray icon says 'Intel RST service not running', but...
              allan_intel

Yes, I find that my self very strange. I tried to replicate same behavior but I was unable to reproduce same issue.

Allan.

• 4. Re: sys tray icon says 'Intel RST service not running', but...
                JytteC

Allan, thank you for responding

I was SO looking forward to getting my new PC, and it's been a never ending nightmare since it arrived. It's 2 weeks old, and you'd think it'd be at least somewhat 'up to date'??

After your first response I went to the intel download drivers page. Well, it tells me to check my current drivers, and to "first contact your system manufacturer'.

Well, first up, this being all new (Windows 10), I can't seem to find any of my current drivers, so I don't know which versions I do have. Second, I went to Dell (got an XPS 8900) and that was real fun. After checking my tag, it tells me there are 19 new drivers available. 19 ??!!!  All of which are dated well before I got my PC btw. Again I'm supposed to check current drivers, and I'm apparently dumb, cuzz I'm unable. I go to Dell's support, and soon as they (webpage) see my tag, they forward me to Germany's Dell (unfortunately I'm currently residing in Germany and bought the PC here)... well, for one thing the entire thing is in German (and I'm not good at that) AND they're closed 'after hours'.... meaning they have the same 'office hours' I do. Someone please tell me how I'm supposed to use a tech support that only is open when MY office is, in other words when I have customers on the phone all day long? It is also very difficult to concentrate on solving just ONE problem, when there are so many of them, and I have crashes all day long. I am SO hating Microsoft right now.

Reason I wanted to talk to Dell tech, was to see if they could help me locate drivers, and maybe would know why on earth I get a 'not running' (on a driver THEY installed) while it DOES seem to be running just fine.

Microsoft tech support in turn also has no clue what is going on. Nor do they know why their own software crashes on me all day long.

I'm so screwed.

• 5. Re: sys tray icon says 'Intel RST service not running', but...
                  JytteC

Well, I'm now smarter....  The driver Dell wants me to download, is the driver I already have:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

This package provides Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and is supported on XPS 8900 running the following Windows Operating systems: Windows 10
                  Version 14.5.0.1081, A00
                  Whereas the new driver that Intel has on its download page is:
                  Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID driver version 14.8.0.1042.
                  newer in other words?
                  The problem I'm having happened right after Windows did these updates:   blast, you can't copy and paste from the settings 'update history' page
                  so typing:
                  Cumulative UPdate for Windows 10 Version1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124263), installed 12/01/2016
                  Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - January 2016 (KB890230), installed 12/01/2016
                  So, you think that downloading and installing the above 14.8.0.1042 might solve the problem? whatever the 'problem' is.

• 6. Re: sys tray icon says 'Intel RST service not running', but...
                    JytteC

I just double checked the other 2 (new) PCs in the house, and they do NOT have this problem, they also do NOT have above mentioned windows updates installed yet (they're not used much)

• 7. Re: sys tray icon says 'Intel RST service not running', but...
                      JytteC

And now I just let the other 2 PCs install those updates mentioned above, and neither of them come up with an icon saying there's a problem, on the contrary, they both have a nice green checkmark on their icon.

What? Did someone put a curse on my PC before it shipped ?????

• 8. Re: sys tray icon says 'Intel RST service not running', but...
                        JytteC

EUREKA! Problem solved

As the other 2 PCs run just fine on the original Version 14.5.0.1081, I could see no reason mine shouldn't.

So went back to Dell's support site, and downloaded anew that driver. Installed it. Restarted. Same 'error' icon.

Well, this time I was sure it must be a 'ghost problem'. Went into PC Settings, into 'Select which icons appear', switched the RST icon on and off, twice. Closed Settings.

And HURRAH, I've got a nice 'green check mark' icon.

All is well in the state of Denmark, and i'm gonna leave well enough along and stay on this driver for now.

Hope this might help somebody else in a similar situation. And Thanks again Allan for moral support