7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 4:31 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

reading power consumtion from internal hardware

JoachimLindborg

Hi I would like to read out the power consumption from several NUC's

Is it possible to access somewhere in hardware the current voltage and current levels?

I would like to calculate the total energy consumption of a NUC computer without having to install an external power meter at the mains supply.

• 1. Re: reading power consumtion from internal hardware
          Amy_Intel

Hello, JoachimLindborg:

This type of information can be found on the Technical Product Specification for each NUC and you can also find more information in regard to power in the BIOS. Is there any specific NUC that you want to get this information?

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: reading power consumtion from internal hardware
            JoachimLindborg

the product spec just tells me just specifications.

I would like to be able to read realtime values in hardware. reading provided voltage and amps will make me able to be to calculate the realtime energy usage

• 3. Re: reading power consumtion from internal hardware
              N.Scott.Pearson

To answer your question, there are no current sensors in the system; there are only voltage sensors. Yea, I know that voltage sensors can be used to measure current, but it takes multiple voltage sensors to implement a single current sensor and there are precious few voltage sensors available.  If you really want to measure Current, you are going to have to do so using a meter at the external DC input point or at the brick's AC input point (using, for example, a Kill-A-Watt device, which is what I use).

With regards to the voltage sensors, there are many tools that you can use to monitor these sensors. The only one that properly displays them is AIDA64. There are free tools that you can use (Alfredo's SpeedFan, CPUID's HWMonitor, HWiNFO32/64, Open HW Monitor, etc.), but remember that you get what you pay for. These tools might understand how to program and read the registers of the Super I/O chip, but they rarely understand how the sensors in the Super I/O chip are actually being used by the board - and this regularly results in the display of improperly-interpreted temperature and voltage sensors - and, in fact, often the display of non-existent (or unused) sensors.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 4. Re: reading power consumtion from internal hardware
                JoachimLindborg

That was sad to hear. Had hoped that such an advanced machine as the NUC,  should have some concept of energy usage.

If I add a simple power sensor would it be possible to add the sensing internally over say USB or are there any other ports available inside the case that could be used an I2C bus for example?

• 5. Re: reading power consumtion from internal hardware
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Which NUC are we talking about? Some have an internal expansion connector that exposes access to i2c or SMBus.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: reading power consumtion from internal hardware
                    JoachimLindborg

I would like to buy one with I2C bus on it so I could add a current sensor to it. Which ones have that enabled?

• 7. Re: reading power consumtion from internal hardware
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Here's a summary of the SMBus and I2C exposure across the various NUC models:

NUC6i7KY                Exposes only CEC and front panel buttons and LEDs.

NUC6i5SY                Exposes I2C via NFC Header.

NUC6i3SY                Exposes I2C via NFC Header.

NUC5i7RY                Exposes SMBus via NFC Header.

NUC5i5RY                Exposes SMBus via NFC Header.

NUC5i3RY                Exposes SMBus via NFC Header.

NUC5i5MY               Exposes SMBus and I2C via Low-Speed Custom Solutions Header.

NUC5i3MY               Exposes SMBus and I2C via Low-Speed Custom Solutions Header.

NUC5PPY                 Exposes SMBus via NFC Header.

NUC5PGY                Exposes SMBus via NFC Header.

NUC5CPY                Exposes SMBus via NFC Header.

DN2820FY               No exposure.

DE3815TY               Exposes SMBus and I2C via Custom Solutions Header.

DCP847SK-DY         No exposure.

D54250WY               No exposure.

D53427RK-HY          No exposure.

D34010WY               No exposure.

D33217GK-IY           No exposure.

D33217CK-BY          No exposure.

As you can see, only three models support Custom Solutions Headers and make access to these buses easily available. I am thinking it will take a lot of work to make use of the exposures via the NFC headers.

Hope this helps,

...S