1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 10:48 AM by NiallB

Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi

RoboBill

I've installed the 6205 wifi underneath my Gen2 board. I can log on using putty. But when I try to run the wifi scan networks sketch, I get "wifi shield not present" After some research I discovered I needed to insert the following right after setup():

system("ifup  wlan0");

delay(3000);

But I still get "wifi shield not present". After more research, it appears this problem has something to do with the name of the card being either wlan0 or wlpls0.

How do I fix this?

Thanks

RoboBill

• 1. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
          DiegoV_Intel

Hello RoboBill,

I uploaded the ScanNetworks example and it worked fine. Then I tried it without the SD Card and I got the same message as you: "WiFi shield not present". So the reason why you are getting that message is because you aren't using the SD Card image. Wi-Fi applications require using the SD Card image, otherwise they won't work. You can download the SD Card image from the following link: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
            RoboBill

Hi Diego,

After a significant amount of hassle and digging deep thru the web, and getting totally confused between all the IoT stuff and knowing very little about Linux, I got the Scan Network sketch to work. The main problem was that I could not find all the info in one place. Oh so frustrating. BTW originally I was using the IOT image or the Ubilinux version.

Is there one page that explains everything in detail?   ... if so please send me the link.

So why a different image?

What can this image do that others can't and vise versa ? Is there a link that explains all this too?

Perhaps this is leading to a new thread... if so I'll start a  new one.

Thanks again for your help

RoboBill

• 3. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
              DiegoV_Intel

Hello RoboBill,

There are two images for Galileo, the IoT image and the standard one, both are Yocto images. The standard image was the one released first and it's recommended for Arduino applications, that's why I recommended it to you in my previous post. The IoT image was made later in order to be used with Eclipse and the XDK for IoT applications.

This behavior is because the standard image is based on uClibc while the IoT image is based on EGLIBC. The Arduino sketches are compiled for uClibc and that's the reason why they work better in the uClibc image (the standard one).

The Ubilinux image, on the other hand, is based on another OS (Debian) and it has other features. We don't support this image.

Unfortunately there isn't a document that explains these differences. If you want to go deeper in this topic I recommend you to check the Yocto documentation: https://www.yoctoproject.org/

For your case, since you are using the Arduino IDE, I recommend you to use the standard Yocto image. It'll work fine for Arduino applications: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2

Regards,

Diego.

• 4. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
                NiallB

Hi DiegoV and RoboBill,

I am so glad I have found someone with what appears to be the exact same problem I am having and I have still not resolved.

Issue is that I am trying to run the Arduino Sketches "ScanNetworks" and "WifiWebClient" and when I load and run the sketches it is immediately stopping at the first loop in each sketch and sending the statement to the serial monitor as follows "Wifi Shield not Present". This is the first section in each sketch.....

// check for the presence of the shield:

if (WiFi.status() == WL_NO_SHIELD) {

Serial.println("WiFi shield not present");

// don't continue:

while(true);

}

I have searched many hours and there are many discussions on this issue but none too clear for me to fix my issue.

My gut feel in the end was that the issue had something to do with the "SD Image" or the "Wifi Card Drivers". So I actually tried the Image you suggested DiegoV (SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2) but I still am getting the same result on the serial monitor when I run Arduino.

I am using the Galileo Gen 2 board with the following: 1) Bootable SD card, 2) iot-devkit-latest-mmcblkp0.direct image, 3) arduino-1.6.4, 4) Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 wifi card and 5) Putty Terminal.

As I said I did try the alternate image you suggest too (SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2).

I can connect the wifi card to my home network as per the instructions and ping an external website successfully.

Do you know if there are other causes for this same issue that I can try to fix?

Or can you suggest how I can try to root cause this issue better?

I am relatively new to Gailieo and Linux so you might want to consider that in your response!

The only other information I have is that when I compile the ScanNetworks sketch or WifiWebClient sketch in Arduino, I get the following warning even though the sketch will still compile: WARNING: library WiFi claims to run on [i586-uclibc] architecture(s) and may be incompatible with your current board which runs on [i586] architecture(s).

Hope you can help to move me forward:)

• 5. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
                  RoboBill

Hi Naillb,

I fully understand your frustration. As I explore my Galileo, I've tried the different images Diego suggested to see which one I think works best for my project. One thing I found was my inability to correctly format and put an image on the SD card. For me as a real beginner , the instructions are confusing... Linux, Windows, Ubuntu, format, partitions, ... 7zip, b2z, tar  Yikes!... so many different methodologies to understand.

As a result of switching images, I found I had similar problems as what you described. For me it came down to... did my Galileo power up using the image on the SD card or did it start from it's own built-in memory. I noticed that if the Galileo's SD LED light flashes a lot during start up, then I flashed my SD card correctly and the SD card image is being used and my wifi works as it should. If the LED flashes a little bit, then I know my SD card image was not installed correctly and my wifi won't work.

From my trials and (lots of) errors, Diego's SDcard.1.0.4 is the best image for putting Arduino on my Galileo. After I started up my Galileo, I didn't have to go through all the wifi configurations via the PUTTY terminal... just load up my wifi Scan Networks sketch and it works. BUT, if my SD card image didn't load, then no luck, Wifi not present... just like what you described.

Hope this helps

RoboBill

• 6. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
                    DiegoV_Intel

Hi NiallB,

Make sure you are using the standard Yocto image (not the IoT image): http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2. You only have to format your SD Card and decompress the image files in the root directory of the SD Card.

Open a PuTTY session to check the booting process. You should see a blue square at some point. It means that you are booting from the SD Card image. If you see a red square instead, it means that you are booting from the internal image, not the SD Card image.

With the SD Card set with the standard Yocto image and the PuTTY session open, power up the board and connect the USB Client port to your PC once the booting process is done. Then upload the ScanNetwork example. I recommend you to use the Arduino IDE 1.6.0 version instead of the version you are currently using. The 1.6.0 version can be downloaded from the following link: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24783/eng/IntelArduino-1.6.0-Windows.7z

If you get issues, post a screenshot of the output you got in the Serial Monitor. When you upload the ScanNetwork example you will see some messages in the PuTTY session too. If you have issues, please post a screenshot of the PuTTY session to check the messages you got. I posted below a screenshot of the output you should get in the Serial Monitor and the PuTTY session:

testScanNetworks.JPG

Regards,

Diego.

• 7. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
                      NiallB

Hi All,

Thanks for you help. I think now I am definitely having issues with the SD image. I followed your instruction and loaded the "SD Card.1.0.4.tar" image to the SD card using "Win32DiskImager" and when the Board was booting I got the Red Square at the top of the boot screen in Putty.

Red.PNG

Am I correct in saying that when I download the image as per your link above (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2) that I get a "SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2" file and then I extract this using 7-Zip and get a file called "SDCard.1.0.4.tar" and it is this file that I load to the SD Card with Win32DiskImager?

This seems to be in a ".zip" format!

I noticed that when I load this image to the SD Card that I am unable to then click into the card to view the loaded image. I was able to do this with the previous image I used!

SD Image.PNG

SD Card Write.PNG

After I write the image to the SD card and then try to view the image in My Computer I am unable to access the SD card, error below.

Any idea what is causing this? I have formatted the SD card several times and tried writing it several times now. Hope this makes sense to you guys.

SD Card.PNG

• 8. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
                        RoboBill

Hi Naillb

Your issues look familiar. What I did was dig down into the 1.0.4 tar file until I found 5 files (below) the copied them directly to my SD card... 

1. boot
                        2. bzImage
                        3. core image
                        4. grub
                        5. image full clanton
                        • 9. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
                          RoboBill

Naillb

Oops... The first one.. boot is a folder..

just copy all 5 and paste to your card

• 10. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
                            DiegoV_Intel

Hello NiallB,

As RoboBill suggested, you have to decompress the Yocto image files and then copy them in the root directory of the SD Card. You don't have to use Win32DiskImager for this, just copy the files manually.

imageFiles.JPG

Regards,

Diego.

• 11. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
                              NiallB

Hi DiegoV and RoboBill,

Thank you again for your replies.

Ok I have replicated your steps above DiegoV and got the exact image/files/folders above on my SD card, but I am still getting the red screen upon boot up with comment " ---- No "boot/grub/grub.conf" file found on 1st USB or SD device ---- ". It is not recognizing the boot folder or the boot/grub/grub.conf file although it is clearly there.

From reading other forums (Cannot boot the board from SD card) I am beginning to think that my SD card is not compatible with the Galileo board.

I am using what I taught was a pretty regular SD card but I see others had a similar problem.

My plan is to test this theory on other SD cards that I will loan from a colleague tomorrow, as I don't want to wait a week to get another SD card and maybe it not work again!

I will let you know if this works or not. You don't need to reply, I will reply tomorrow. Thanks.

SDCardSpec.PNG

• 12. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
                                FGT

Hi NiallB,

Please make sure to follow the documented steps at

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-galileo-boards/000006416.html?wapkw=persistent+sketch

I've followed them several times with different SD card "models" and always worked.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 13. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
                                  FGT

Off topic, I know, but this post by DiegoV_Intel is the clearest description I've seen of both Yocto images available for Galileo.

DiegoV_Intel wrote:

Hello RoboBill,

There are two images for Galileo, the IoT image and the standard one, both are Yocto images. The standard image was the one released first and it's recommended for Arduino applications, that's why I recommended it to you in my previous post. The IoT image was made later in order to be used with Eclipse and the XDK for IoT applications.

This behavior is because the standard image is based on uClibc while the IoT image is based on EGLIBC. The Arduino sketches are compiled for uClibc and that's the reason why they work better in the uClibc image (the standard one).

The Ubilinux image, on the other hand, is based on another OS (Debian) and it has other features. We don't support this image.

Unfortunately there isn't a document that explains these differences. If you want to go deeper in this topic I recommend you to check the Yocto documentation: https://www.yoctoproject.org/

For your case, since you are using the Arduino IDE, I recommend you to use the standard Yocto image. It'll work fine for Arduino applications: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2

Regards,

Diego.

• 14. Re: Getting wifi sketch to recognize Galileo wifi
                                    RoboBill

Hi Naillb,

Again your experience with these SD cards sounds familiar to mine. As I reformatted and fiddled with partitions over and over again, I somehow made my card unreadable by my Galileo. Eventually I used an EASUS partition manger and did something like made the card primary and logical or vise versa. Not sure what this all means but I got my card to work.

Hopefully someone can step in and explain what I did and how I got it to work again, cuz I'm clueless about what I did wrong and not sure why it works just fine now.

RoboBill

1 2 Previous Next