3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2016 8:01 AM by mikec_intel

DH77KC recognize internal SATA devices as USB SATA devices

Drakonait

Hi all,

I'm using a desktop with DH77KC.

Recently, I found out that when I press F10 to select boot devices, all my internal SATA HDD is shown as USB SATA.

Although I still able to boot from every HDD, but showing like that is hard for me to know which HDD I need to boot from.]

Moreover, when I look for that in BIOS (by pressing F2), everything seems normal.

Can someone help me?

WP_20160112_22_19_38_Raw.jpg

WP_20160112_22_20_08_Raw.jpg

• 1. Re: DH77KC recognize internal SATA devices as USB SATA devices
          mikec_intel

Hi Drakonait,

You are using 4 Hard Disk Drives and a DVD-RW Rom; the hard drives are showed USB SATA because they were set as Legacy.

Intel’s BIOS gives you the option to sort the bootable drives. According to your settings, as soon as you turn the system on it will try to boot from the DVD Rom, if there isn’t a bootable drive in this location the system will try to boot from the second location in this case SATA port 3: ST2000VM03-1ET16 and so on.

ST2000VM03-1ET16 is the serial number of the hard drive.

If you are not sure which Hard Disk Drive contains the operating system, it will be necessary to remove (unplug) all the drives and check 1 by 1.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: DH77KC recognize internal SATA devices as USB SATA devices
            Drakonait

Hi Mike C,

Thank you for that answer, but you may misunderstand my question.

Normally, when I press F8, a list of boots device appeared. And internal SATA HDD will be shown as SATA: Port x: <HDD name>

But now, it's shown as USB SATA Device x HDD without HDD name.

So my question is: why is boot device name changed, and how to change it back to original?

• 3. Re: DH77KC recognize internal SATA devices as USB SATA devices
              mikec_intel

Hi Drakonait,

There was a BIOS issue, F10 didn’t show name of the Hard Disk Drives. A BIOS update will fix the issue. Now, your current BIOS version is 0104 and version 0107 will fix the issue.

It is very important to update the BIOS one by one from version 0104 to 0107, do not skip any version in between. (0105, 0106 and 0107). Use the F7 method with the .BIO file.

BIOS versions available

Drivers & Software

BIOS Update Instructions for Boards and Kits

BIOS Update Instructions for Boards and Kits

Regards,
              Mike C

1 of 1 people found this helpful