10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 12:47 PM by Amy_Intel

Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 - HD Graphics 4600

Adam86

Good morning,

Club3D have released an adapter for those that have a DisplayPort 1.2 connection on their PC hardware (as well as requiring a GPU that is capable of 2160@60Hz) that converts the DisplayPort 1.2 signal into an HDMI 2.0 signal, for info see here: DisplayPort™ 1.2 to HDMI™ 2.0 4K60Hz UHD Active Adapter - Connect and do more.

I currently have two PC's that both have the following CPU, with the Intel HD 4600 Graphics:

Intel® Core™ i5-4590 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz) Specifications

As per the Intel ARK, the DisplayPort allows a 3840x2160@60Hz resolution to be set.  One machine is custom built with an ASRock Q87M vPro, I have confirmed that this has DisplayPort 1.2.  The other PC is a Dell OptiPlex, and I have also confirmed that this has a DisplayPort 1.2 connection too.  So I have bought two of these adapters to use with these PC's and expected them to work.

I own a Samsung UE48JU7500 2015 Series TV.  According to the TV instructions, for 50/60Hz 4K 3840x2160 compatibility I need to enable UHD Color on the TV and this will then allow me to set a resolution higher than 30Hz at this resolution.  Sadly, this is not the case and I am still unable to achieve this refresh rate regardless of this option been fully enabled on the TV.  I've tried other HDMI ports on the TV with UHD Color enabled and this made no difference.

The compatibility for the Club3D adapter says:

Supports AMD, Nvidia® and Intel® HD/ Iris™ graphics solutions

So I am baffled why this is not working at all and wondered if anyone had any input or even has bought these adapters for their own setup and had any success?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 - HD Graphics 4600
          Amy_Intel

Hello, Adam86:.

The processor itself supports that resolution as you confirmed it on ARK, however; any resolution result may depend on your BIOS configuration, EDID of the T.V and custom resolution created by your computer manufacturer, Intel does not recommend using adapters. I would recommend to check with your computer manufacturer to check if this monitor is fully compatible with PC.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 - HD Graphics 4600
            Adam86

The manufacturer of the adapter Club-3D have advised me the following:

"Most TV do not support more than 8 bpc color depth. So please set the Color Depth of your system back to 8 bpc."

The only option I have within the Intel Graphics Control Panel is 32 Bit color and nothing else.

I could contact the manufacturer but as I say this is happening on both Dell and ASRock PC's so I don't think it's down to a hardware compatibility issue but either an option I am missing within the HD Graphics Control Panel or the adapter that is not working correctly.

• 3. Re: Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 - HD Graphics 4600
              Amy_Intel

From the Intel® HD Graphics driver you will only be able to select 32 Bit color, you may try uninstalling our driver and let Windows 10 to install the basic driver since this can support 8 Bit color.

Regards,

• 4. Re: Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 - HD Graphics 4600
                Adam86

So if you are suggesting that I remove the Intel HD Graphics driver from my PC,  then surely this is a feature that should be implemented into the HD Graphics Control Panel to allow the colour depth to be changed?

• 5. Re: Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 - HD Graphics 4600
                  Amy_Intel

This feature is included in the Intel® HD Graphics, is available by default, you will only be able to select 32 Bit color.

Regards,

• 6. Re: Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 - HD Graphics 4600
                    Adam86

Sorry your response makes no sense at all - you just told me yesterday that setting 8bpc is not possible via HD Graphics, and now you are are telling me it is included by default.

All I want to know is why can I not select 60Hz resolution at 3840x2160 resolution with Intel HD Graphics 4600.

Please can somebody form Intel please come back with a reasonable answer because so far this is no help at all.

• 7. Re: Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 - HD Graphics 4600
                      Amy_Intel

The Intel® HD Graphics driver includes this feature as per default, from our driver you will only be able to select 32 Bit color.

Have you tried with straight connections?

• 8. Re: Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 - HD Graphics 4600
                        Some_Guy

I'd like to chime in on the same topic, as I have the same issue that Adam86 is facing.  I purchased the same adapter (it's an active DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0) for use with my home theater PC, and am seeing the same results.  I'm running on an Intel DH87RL with an i5 4570S on Windows 7, and a Sharp LC-65UB30U, and when using the adapter anything higher than 1920x1080 will result in me being unable to select higher than 30hz refresh rate.  I got in touch with Club3D's support and they suggested the same thing, to drop to either 8bit or 10bit color depth, but my options were limited to 32bit or 16bit in the control panel.  Intel's twitter support (very promptly and helpfully) relayed that the 32/16/8bit on the control panel corresponds to 12/10/8bpc, though selecting 16bit (the lowest I could go) didn't change the fact that the control panel wouldn't let me select the higher refresh rate.

For kicks, I brought home a handful of laptops from work, and found that while the HD4600 graphics card on a Dell Latitude E6400 running Windows 10 did the same thing as the HD4600 on my personal PC, the DisplayPort output on a Lenovo Thinkpad T450S with an HD5500 running Windows 10 DID provide full 4k @ 60hz support (and boy did it look good!).  Naturally it's a different video card with a different driver (since Intel isn't providing a single driver for Windows 7/8/10 on this GPU) so it's not a 100% apples to apples comparison, but the fact that the HD5500 worked fine while the HD4600 didn't suggests to me that it's either a driver issue or a hardware limitation on the HD4600.  I know that the HD4600 will run 4k @ 60hz over DisplayPort, which I've confirmed this by plugging my desktop and the Dell Latitude laptop into a monitor by DisplayPort with perfect results, and the ARK specs it as being capable, but it just doesn't work.

• 9. Re: Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 - HD Graphics 4600
                          arupman

I was able to get the CAC-1170 to put out 3840x2160 @ 60Hz from Intel HD Graphics 4600 using the instructions in this video: https://youtu.be/1fhmwuLQCxw. Using the latest Intel graphics driver (15.40.18.4380, doesn't need to be the beta) you make a custom resolution for 3840x2160@60 Hz and use the CVT-RB timing standard instead of GTF. Then go back to the General Settings and 60p should be an option under Refresh Rate. Color stays at 32 bit. Tested with both regular use and a bunch of videos and everything is working fine so far (Big Buck Bunny 3840x2160 60fps was buttery smooth: Big Buck Bunny 3D - Download). HD Graphics 4600 only has H.264 and HEVC 8-bit hardware acceleration (no VP9 or HEVC 10-bit) so 2160p60 videos on youtube and 2160p 60fps 10-bit x265 videos were stuttering pretty badly for me (with CPU @ 100%).

On a side note, why is the default for Intel Graphics to use the old GTF timing standard instead of the newer CVT/CVT-RB standard? Couldn't the software at least pick the timing standard based on the EDID from the display rather than requiring a custom resolution to use the newer standard? Amy_Intel, maybe you could communicate that to your developers and let them know it would save many users from the hassle of hunting down this work-around?

• 10. Re: Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 - HD Graphics 4600
                            Amy_Intel

arupman, thank you for your feedback.

I understand that EstebanC_Intel has sent this for review, so please stay with the other thread Intel Graphics and the quest to support DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Adapters for more updates on this case.

Regards,