8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 11:54 AM by N.Scott.Pearson

DZ87KLT BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)

VirtualMemory

System gets message on startup after powering up

"BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)..."

and offers a choice of entering BIOS or retrying boot with existing settings. Neither works, and BIOS cannot be entered. After the initial splash screen, and typing F2, the above message repeats.

Up to now, the system has been operating without problems for more than a year.

After sitting for several hours, the system booted normally. Now, following subsequent shutdown, the message has reappeared. There have been no hardware changes or BIOS changes. When the system is in the failing state described above, the internal motherboard 7-segment display stops on "00 92", after running through several other values.

DZ87-KLT motherboard with BIOS KLZ8711D.86A.0453.2014.1007.1848

1) How can I find out the cause of this error? The Tech Spec says 0x92 means "Detecting the presence of the keyboard". After the "BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)..." message, typing Y or N on the keyboard is sensed, as it causes another iteration of the message after some re-initialization.

2) How can I fix the cause, so this error does not occur?

• 1. Re: DZ87KLT BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)
          ivanu_intel

Hello VirtualMemory,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Try to see if you can access the BIOS and press F9 on your keyboard to set the BIOS to defaults and then press F10 to save the changes, if you cannot access the BIOS try removing the battery from your motherboard for a few minutes but of course make sure the system is off when you do that, after a few minutes put the battery back on and turn on the system.

Let me know if this can help you.

Also I have seen in other threads where some customers have solved this problem when uncheck the Failsafe Watchdog in the BIOS, you can see it here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/31842?start=0&tstart=0

Regards,

Ivan

• 2. Re: DZ87KLT BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)
            N.Scott.Pearson

VirtualMemory,

This error message means that the system was unable to operate properly using the specified settings for the processor and memory. Are you attempting to overclock your system? What kind of memory are you using (and how many DIMMs)? If you go into BIOS Setup and reset all parameters to defaults, does it then act properly?

...S

• 3. Re: DZ87KLT BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)
              VirtualMemory

No, I'm using all the default settings (no overclocking etc), and had not changed them recently.

I can access the BIOS by using the "Power button" menu, but resetting the BIOS w/F9 + F10 does not help.

I have attempted to update the BIOS (now 453) to the current (457), but I cannot. Using the "Express" update under Windows fails to restart, and when I restart manually it tells me the BIOS has been successfully updated, but in fact it has not been changed. Using the .BIO file on a CD-ROM fails and the Back-to-BIOS button doesn't work either; it does nothing.

• 4. Re: DZ87KLT BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)
                VirtualMemory

One more thing: I have run an extensive memory dx and found no errors. When Windows is booted (using the Power menu), everything works OK.

• 5. Re: DZ87KLT BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)
                  N.Scott.Pearson

I believe that what is happening is the system is having problems with the memory you are using. Regardless of the method used (F7, iFlash2 or Express BIOS Update), if the system is stumbling during memory initialization, it is going to abort the update process at the reboot point. As I asked earlier, please provide more information regarding the memory you are using.

...Scott

• 6. Re: DZ87KLT BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)
                    VirtualMemory

As I  said, I ran an extensive memory dx, which found no errors. Furthermore, when booted using the Power menu, Windows 7 ran w/o problems.

Eventually (after several days and many successful reboots), the Power menu stopped working. Then, reflashing the BIOS w/v453 fixed everything.

As of yesterday, though, the BIOS stopped working properly, reporting no boot devices, although both SATA hard drives were visible in the BIOS. After reflashing the BIOS w/v453 again, Windows boot manager eventually got Windows to boot, and now appears normal. There is apparently some problem with the BIOS.

Memory is 4 Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600 MHz 8-8-8-24, 8 GB, total memory 32 GB. All the factory default BIOS settings are being used (no overclocking). 10 passes of MemTestX86 gave no errors (run after the earlier problem).

• 7. Re: DZ87KLT BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)
                      ivanu_intel

At his point I suggest removing every component from your system and also the battery located on your motherboard, leave it like that for a few hours and then put the battery back on, start putting every component in your system one at a time to find out which component is the one causing the problem in your system.

• 8. Re: DZ87KLT BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)
                        N.Scott.Pearson

I suggest that you install the latest BIOS - and that you do so via the Recovery Method. After BIOS is installed, use F2 to enter Visual BIOS and then use F9 to restore the BIOS configuration to factory defaults.

When you see message "BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)...", the BIOS will have dropped the memory configuration down to the processor default speed (1333 MHz). You should check what it is currently set to in Visual BIOS. It may be that the XMP (1600 MHz) configuration is where the board is having problems with the DIMM(s).

...S