5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2016 1:23 AM by R2DJoe

using an FTDI device

R2DJoe

We have a couple of edison devices.

so I've got my ftdi device plugged into the (arduino) breakout board and the switch is closest to the USB host port. I've got a fresh instance of the latest (3.10.17?) yocto image on there, and have added the `repo.opkg.net/edison` repos to `/etc/opkg/base-feeds.conf` and updated/etc but even tho `kernel-module-ftdi-sio` is installed it doesn't pick up the device. `lsusb` reports `unable to initialize libusb: -99`  and I've tried a bunch of other things to get it to work but I'm stuck now.

I also tried adding `iotdk.intel.com/repos` things to `/etc/opkg/itodk.conf` as reported at various places, but a) the 1.1 repos in all the blog posts I've seen don't have any newer versions, and are out of date and b) trying the 1.5 versions of the urls insists on updating EVERY package on the device because they all have a spurious .0 appended to the package name/version ????

We had no problems using the ubilinux that was on one of our edisons, but the newer one constantly reports that the (latest?) image is too large for the disk (by like 2x) so we tried Yocto and that worked other than this usb junk.

• 1. Re: using an FTDI device
          CMata_Intel

Hi R2DJoe,

With the Arduino Expansion Board and using the command lsusb you should be having the following results:

The switch closest to the micro USB ports

unable to initialize libusb: -99

The switch closest to the USB Host

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

What is the output of running the command configure_edison --version and uname -a?

Which are the specifications of the power supply you are using? If you are getting the message “unable to initialize libusb: -99” in both positions of the switch the problem could be that the power is not enough for using the USB Host. This also happens with the Breakout Board if a power supply is not used.

Please let us know the current and voltage specifications of the power supply you are using before trying with another one. Remember that the valid range is 7V – 15V

This is a thread related to what you want to accomplish, take a look at it, it may be helpful: Reading USB-Serial GPS from OTG Port

Regards,

Charlie

• 2. Re: using an FTDI device
            mpapini

Does this help? unable to initialize libusb: -99

Don't nave an Arduino myself but on my custom board i got it when i inverter RX/TX to the ftdi ... oops.

• 3. Re: using an FTDI device
              R2DJoe

root@edison:~# configure_edison --version

root@edison:~# uname -a

Linux edison 3.10.17-poky-edison+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 19 12:06:40 CEST 2015 i686 GNU/Linux

moving the switch doesn't fix the -99 error, and I'm using the power supply that came with it.

• 4. Re: using an FTDI device
                CMata_Intel

Hi R2DJoe,

The Edison Module + Arduino Expansion Board do not include a power supply.

Did you bought a development kit? Could you provide a link to the kit you are using?

Could you test the output of the power supply? This is to verify the real voltage and current in it.

Is this the only problem you are having with the board?

What is the output of running dmesg | grep usb with the switch closest to the USB OTG?

Regards,

Charlie

• 5. Re: using an FTDI device
                  R2DJoe

the power supply is 12V 4A

the -99 appeared whcihever way the switch was left

we ended up figuring out how to flash ubilinux so this topic is defunct