12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 12:18 PM by Qboy61

2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)

Qboy61

I've received a replacement D54250WYKH NUC do to a failed 3.5mm audio jack.  Intel sent a new NUC at the beginning of December to replace the old NUC with a bad headphone jack and I was able to transfer my drives Memory and WiFi cards.  The new NUC has a functioning headphone jack and Windows transferred to the new NUC without any issues.  But...  In combination with these hardware manipulations, Windows 10 updated to the latest version.  So...  Windows 10 in this latest version appears to be rather unstable since my computer that used to run for weeks until there was a system update from Microsoft that required a reboot now won't run reliably for any time between 1 hour to a few days.  The computer would reboot with no indication or blue-screen.  All this instability has had me updating drivers endlessly.  On December 26th the 2.5 inch SATA hard drive installed in the NUC disappeared and my applications crashed.  So I thought I had found the problem with the computer.  The hard drive wouldn't show up in the BIOS (when it was bad) and then when it shows in the BIOS and Windows boots it stays available for a random amount of time and then disappears.  A backup copy of files that were copied and confirmed bit-for-bit accurate from the hard drive before the NUC was switched for the new one appears to show bit errors in files that should not have changed on the hard drive in the NUC.  This was a Western Digital drive so I ran WD Diagnostics on the drive and it failed to successfully pass the tests.  I felt this was a hard drive beginning to fail so I purchased a second matching hard drive and installed it in the machine a few days ago.  I thought all was well but today (only the second day) the NUC is again unstable with the new hard drive.  Upon seeing this, I found an external case and tested the hard drives on a different computer.  Both Western Digital WD10JFCX hard drives pass the WD Diags on a different computer using an external USB to SATA adapter so I don't think the hard drives are damaged.  Now I'm going to attempt to test the 2.5inch hard drive carrier in the NUC.  I think I can swap with another NUC and see if the wiring in this carrier is bad.  My fear is that the replacement NUC has a bad connection in the SATA interface circuitry.

Rick

• 1. Re: 2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)
          Cesar Badilla

Hello Qboy61,

This seems to be related to the HDD drives or the drivers for Windows* 10. Could you test a different drive on the Intel®  NUC  D54250WYKH?

Let us know the current Windows 10* Version and the BIOS version on your NUC.

Additionally, you could try testing your Western Digital WD10JFCX hard drives on another NUC or compatible computer in order to discard the drives as faulty.

Please check the SATA cables in you NUC in order to confirm if they are fine and let us know of the outcome.

You could get more information on Windows 10 and WD Elements - WD Portable Drives - WD Community * and WD Support*

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

• 2. Re: 2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)
            Qboy61

Caesar,

I have a duplicate WD10JFCX that I purchased since the first drive was appearing to fail.  That drive also fails the same as the first.  It starts working after installation but after several hours the drive gets sluggish.  Playing music on the computer results in skipping, and, or stalling where the song has a hard time loading.  Copying a file from the drive will work except bit compare on the copied file sometimes does not match.  Copying many files may result in a missing file from the group copied.  If I test the drive with WD Diags when the drive begins showing these problems the drive will show an error "Test Failure - Too many bad sectors."  I've moved both of the hard drives to another machine in an external case.  They both pass all the tests on the other machine with no errors.  I am currently running the NUC that is acting unstable with the older original hard drive that was failing in an external USB drive case.  The machine has been running steadily for the last 2 days straight with no noticeable failures.  I have the hard drive carrier from the NUC removed and I'm waiting for a male-to-male SATA cable that will allow me to plug the entire carrier with the drive into my external drive case (that may not occur until next week some time).  I'll then be able to test the entire 2.5 inch hard drive assembly from the NUC.  Hopefully I'll be able to find a SATA power and data cable and try to install the hard drive on the NUC bypassing the hard drive carrier. 

I'll keep in touch.  Rick

• 3. Re: 2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)
              Qboy61

Caesar,

The NUC is running the latest version of Windows 10 ver 1511 (build 10586.36).  The BIOS is version 41 which I think is the latest for the D54250WYB.

• 4. Re: 2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)
                Cesar Badilla

HelloQboy61,

Thanks for letting us know about this issue.

Please take your time and test your Intel®   NUC with the male-to-male SATA cable and let us know of the results.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

• 5. Re: 2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)
                  Qboy61

Caesar,

I can't get the NUC's hard drive carrier to work on my external USB interface with the 22 pin male-to-male SATA cable.  I don't know if the USB/SATA interface is providing the correct power to the hard drive carrier.  If I place the HDD directly on the USB/SATA interface it works perfectly but with the adapter cable and the HDD mounted in the hard drive carrier nothing works.  I can only find 5V available at the hard drive carrier.  Here's ithe USB/SATA interface with the male-to-male SATA cable.

20160113_113628.jpg

This is the test system assembled.

20160113_113856.jpg

I am still waiting for a SATA power cable to bypass the hard drive carrier in the D54250WYKH.  Currently the NUC has been running since last week (about 200 hours) with no failures using the internal MSATA (C system drive) and the external USB/SATA case with the original failing hard drive (D drive).  I have the NUC configured as a private intranet radio station which plays 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Rick

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: 2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)
                    Cesar Badilla

Hello Qboy61,

Please take into consideration the HDD's power supply is set based on the manufacture's specifications. Furthermore,  check the adapter you are using in order to confirm it is getting the appropriate Current and Voltage.

The USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5 V supply on a single wire to power connected USB devices. A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and 150 mA in USB 3.0 specification. A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0 and  (900 mA) in USB 3.0 port.*

You could get relevant information here All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors* and USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia*

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

• 7. Re: 2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)
                      Qboy61

Caesar,

There is an external supply for the SATA/USB adapter pictured which should remove the load from the USB port that it's plugged into.

Last night (Jan 13) I was able to get a SATA power and data cable and I've got the NUC running on the orginal HDD.  It has been running for about 24 hrs with no issues.  Still using Windows 10 but there was a cumulative update last night just before I installed the HDD.  I will try to load the computer so that it runs a little warmer.  I will monitor the NUC for a couple days and report back.

20160113_225907.jpg

• 8. Re: 2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)
                        Qboy61

Caesar,

Thanks for your help...  Just an update after 5.5 days of operation without the NUC hard drive carrier.  It appears that the NUC is much more stable without the carrier.  The machine has been operating with no issues since January 13th about 10pm steady.  Most of my interaction is via the remote desktop.  I've been comparing data (Beyond Compare) on the hard drive (bit for bit comparisons) with a networked server, and running my "hobby" radio station all the while.  No hiccups!  Windows 10 appears much more stable now.   

Rick

• 9. Re: 2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)
                          Cesar Badilla

Hello Qboy61,

Thank you for the update on this issue. I am glad to hear your Intel® Nuc D54250WYKH is working fine.

Please let us know if  any updates.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

• 10. Re: 2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)
                            Qboy61

Caesar,

Just a final update for this thread...  A thanks to Adolfo at customer support who sent me a new interface board that mounts on the 2.5 inch hard drive carrier and I switched the hard drive back to the carrier and fully reassembled the NUC.  The computer has now been perfectly stable with the 2.5 inch hard drive in the carrier for about 10 days. 

Thanks again for your help on this issue,

Rick 

• 11. Re: 2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)
                              Cesar Badilla

Hello Qboy61,

I am glad to hear issue is now resolved after fully reassembling the Intel®  NUC.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

• 12. Re: 2.5 inch SATA Drive Failing on D54250WYKH (Warranty Replacement NUC)
                                Qboy61

Disappointment 7 months later...  It appears that the replaced SATA interface board (Jan 2016) in the D54250WYKH has possibly failed again.  The computer was acting strangely for the last week, and has had random events where it can not be rebooted without the machine reporting there is no boot media and the SATA drive disappears in the BIOS.  Finally the drive doesn't appear connected at all to the machine.  I immediately pulled the SATA drive and the drive cage and used a SATA data and power cable to bypass the the NUC's 2.5 inch SATA drive cage and the machine is back to normal.  Does anyone know why there needs to be circuitry (that fails) on the 2.5 inch drive cage in the D54250WYKH NUC when the drive operates with only data and power cables when bypassing that circuitry?