6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 2:50 PM by ivanu_intel

Living in the past: Can I upgrade my CPU? From C2D T5450 to T9500(Socket P)?

helfty

Hi everyone!

As my headline suggests, I am living in the past... Still using my very neat C2D notebook.

Currently, I have started upgrading several parts of my "FSC Amilo Pi 2550".

I want to upgrade my Intel C2D T5450 to a better CPU.

The Datasheet of my Notebook says that a T8300 was be the maximum, but I guess that

is due to the fact that no newer C2Ds were available at this time (correct me if there are other reasons).

The T5450 is a Socket P / PPGA478 processor (see intel ark). (Merom)

The target CPU T9500 is said to be a BGA479, PGA478, PPGA478 processor belonging to the "Santa Rosa Refresh" CPUs. (Penryn)

Due to the fact that my chipset "Intel 965PM+ICH8-M" supports CPUs up to a FSB of 800MHz the T9500 should be fine.

Unfortunately the T9500 is a rarely found CPU nowadays and comes from (dubious?) chinese resellers.

But I could get a T9300 (Socket P) quite easily. Now I wonder why the Intel ark site doesn't mention PPGA478 socket compatibility.

Does that mean that I could use a T9500 but not a T9300?

That seems quite strange...

I'd guess Intel just forgot to list the PPGA478 socket for other penryn cpus... (But asking is better than regretting )

Thanks to anyone who can clear things up a bit for me :S

Best regards,

Peter Helft