6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 3:55 AM by SpiderKenny

When will current build instructions be written and posted?

cbalmer

The current Galileo BSP build instructions are for 1.0.4 and over 6 months old. They're so outdated, if you follow them line by line, the build will fail. Source repos have changed names/moved since then. The Galileo files they tell you to download from Github have been changed and don't match the instructions on the Intel site (but Github's README.md mentions some corrected info). The instructions also reference the Quark BSP document which is a mess. Then there is the current released build (based on EGLIBC) which has no instructions, only a note saying they will be released one day (it's been months).

While I eventually figured it all out, there are many people who post questions about it all the time. It would be very helpful to have a clear set of instructions that are updated regularly (or at least tested by Intel to make sure links have not changed and issues are not coming up) and posted with all released builds.

• 1. Re: When will current build instructions be written and posted?
          Intel_Peter

Hello cbalmer,

The Quark's BSP 1.0.4 is the latest officially verified by Intel for Galileo, nevertheless there are updated versions of Quark's BSP, even though it was not specifically written for Galileo, the Quark's BSP 1.2.0 is Galileo compatible. You can find it in Download Intel® Quark™ BSP.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/23197/eng/Quark_BSP_BuildGuide_329687_009.pdf

Peter.

• 2. Re: When will current build instructions be written and posted?
            cbalmer

Can the BSP 1.0.4 be used with Yocto 2.0 Jethro? Also when will corrected instructions and files be released for 1.0.4? You cannot install build 1.0.4 following the current instructions, the zip file referenced to at the very beginning has been modified by Intel to have 1.0.5 in it! You have to clone the repo and checkout an old commit to get a 1.0.1 zip which has the 1.0.4 files... very confusing for newcomers.

• 3. Re: When will current build instructions be written and posted?
              Intel_Peter

Dylan is the version of Yocto used in Galileo's BSP 1.0.4, if you were to modify the setup.sh to change the branch to dizzy (which is the latest version compatible with quark), you might be able to build a newer version of Yocto using BSP 1.0.4.

Anyhow, using BSP 1.2.0 might be easier than modifying the setup.sh, so my best suggestion would be that you use BSP 1.2.0.

You could also select master branch which should choose the latest version, nevertheless this is not recommended because it might cause errors and incompatibilities with certain packages but this doesn't mean that it wouldn't work.

Regarding your request for an updated guide/instructions on how to build Galileo's BSP, I understand that building the Galileo's image can be hard for newcomers, I will make sure to pass this feedback to the appropriate team, and hopefully we'll hear back from them soon.

Peter.

• 4. Re: When will current build instructions be written and posted?
                cbalmer

Regarding your request for an updated guide/instructions on how to build Galileo's BSP, I understand that building the Galileo's image can be hard for newcomers, I will make sure to pass this feedback to the appropriate team, and hopefully we'll hear back from them soon.

It isn't a matter of difficulty rather the instructions are flat out incorrect and the 1.0.4 scripts point to old repo locations (OpenEmbedded, Grub).

EDIT: And when does Intel plan on updating the BSP to support newer Yocto versions? Going by the Git repo with the files, it'll be a year in April since the scripts were last updated. It would be nice if Intel supported more current Yocto versions. Honestly it feels like Intel abandoned the project shortly after releasing Gen2.

• 5. Re: When will current build instructions be written and posted?
                  Intel_Peter

We do appreciate your comments and we will keep them in mind, but we do not discuss about future software releases or the roadmaps for our products.

Nevertheless, we suggest you to check BSP 1.2.0 Build and Software User Guide; as I mentioned in my previous post, this guide is not exclusive to Galileo but it is compatible with it. If you build this BSP, you will be building a Yocto image based on Dizzy, which as I mentioned is the latest Yocto version compatible with Quark. This BSP was updated in September 2015 and have some improvements for Galileo like 6LoWPAN and others.

In fact if you check the Release Notes for BSP 1.2.0, you will find that several Galileo specific issues have been resolved in this release. I believe that is important to point out that the BSP 1.2.0 builds a Dizzy version of Yocto that uses Linux 3.14 kernel. Currently this is the latest version we have available. So my best suggestion right now is that you give it a try to BSP 1.2.0.

Peter.

• 6. Re: When will current build instructions be written and posted?
                    SpiderKenny

@Intel_Peter thanks! That's great and should answer all my previous questions about the build too.

I'm going to give it a go.