Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20690 Discussions

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.

SP15
Beginner

Hello,

As many others have had this problem, my new laptop suffers from this error from time to time. I simply will be browsing the internet with Firefox and it will happen. I have noticed it happening on ebay.com and other websites, which I cannot remember. I have to minimize Firefox, then maximize the window and everything is reset and good to go; this should not be happening though.

I use Windows 10 64Bit

My processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) m3-6Y30 CPU @ 0.90GHz

My Graphics controller is the Intel(R) HD Graphics 515

My laptop is the ASUS Zenbook UX305C Microsoft Signature edition

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Stemma:

At this stage this issue is under investigation, no further details have been provided yet, I would recommend to check https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software for further driver releases. However you can try the following workaround; install the latest version of the Graphics Driver from our site, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25620/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-6th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40 6th Gen], I would recommend a manual installation of the driver. Here are the instructions for the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install a Driver in Microsoft Windows 8* or Windows...

Here is a helpful link that might help you to fix this issue;

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-drivers/how-to-fix-display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-on-windows-10-8-7-xp-vista.html How to Fix the "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered" Error | OSToto

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

For further information you can check the following link http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005482.html Errors Reported By Microsoft for Graphics Drivers.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SP15
Beginner

Hello Amy,

Thank you for the information. I downloaded "win64_154014.4352.zip" and manually updated the driver. After installation, there is one odd thing: when I look at the Intel HD Graphics 515 properties, (from the device manager), the driver version displays as, Driver version: 20.19.15.4352 (Drive Date 12/15/2015), and not as what I downloaded. What is going on there?

Furthermore, before I updated to the latest driver, when I clicked on the driver tab and clicked on, "Update Driver...", then chose, "Search automatically for updated driver software", this did not find the latest driver for me. All it said was, "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date". This option does not seem to really do anything, but does have the other option to manually install a driver.

Moreover, the other day I downloaded and used the "Intel driver update utility". This did not find any new graphics drivers for me. All it keeps finding is the same two drivers; a Bluetooth and a Wireless driver called, "Bluetooth Intel PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth technology for MS Windows 10 64-bit Installed version 18.20.0.9 Latest Version 17.1.1532.1814" and "Wireless Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers (Windows 10 64-bit) Installed version 18.20.0.9 Latest Version 18.21.0". I know the bluetooth driver has been updated, I checked under the device manager, but I am not sure where to find the other driver. It is weird how it keep showing these two drivers whenever I scan with this software. Would be nice to get all these squared away too.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

The version 20.19.15.4352 and 154014.4352 are the same version, the last 4 digits indicate the driver version.

cdb, did you follow the steps on post # 1?

Regards

0 Kudos
CBarw
Beginner

Hi Amy:

Yes, the steps described in post 1 were followed. At the end, a message appeared that the computer was already running the correct driver. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

cdb, have you tried to contact your computer manufacturer in regard to this matter? This issue is being investigated from our end but it is possible that this could be resolved with a customized driver that it should be provided by your computer manufacturer.

Regards,

0 Kudos
CBarw
Beginner

I have the same problem with the display driver and I also minimize the dark screen and everything is back when I click Firefox. I have a new laptop, ebay is generally the problem site where the display driver stops working, and I also tried the advised fix to no avail. My laptop tells me I have the correct driver installed.

Using Windows 10 64Bit

Processor = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.59 GHz

Display Adapter = the Intel(R) HD Graphics 520

Laptop = HP Envy x360 Convertible

I'll keep following this thread for updates

Thank you.

0 Kudos