7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 2:39 PM by Amy_Intel

Clone display in Windows 10 with Intel HD Graphics and Nvidia

ziggy99

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W520 with integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 (CPU: i7-3740QM). The Thinkpad also has an additonal GPU installed on the motherboard - Quadro K1000M.

It seems to be impossible to connect an external VGA monitor and get the Win10 screen duplicated/cloned on both the internal Thinkpad display and the external VGA monitor. Extended view is OK - but not duplicate/clone mode - which I need for all my Powerpoint presentations on projector.

Nvidias drivers release notes says:

Cross-adapter Clone Mode

Clone mode across graphics processors is handled by the Windows 10 OS and not by the NVIDIA driver. Consequently, there are no controls for cross-adapter clone mode in the NVIDIA Control Panel under Windows 10.

Optimus Systems

As cross-adapter clone mode is handled by the Windows 10 OS, there are no display controls in the NVIDIA Control Panel if no display is connected to the NVIDIA GPU.

The only way I am able to clone my screen to a VGA monitor, is if I uninstall (and also deletes) all Intel HD Graphics drivers in device manager for my Intel HD Graphics 4000. The device manager then shows:

intelHDg.PNG

The issue then is that I get very poor performance when using the Thinkpad without the external monitor/projector - because it then uses the Microsoft driver for the screen.

Clearly it must be possible to fix this issue somehow in the drivers?