8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2016 12:14 AM by Austin77

ICH10R and W2012 What Raid manager software should I install?

Austin77

I have a server based on the Supermicro X8DTT-F mother board.

It has the ICH10R chip and I have the hard drives running in RAID 1.

The latest driver for this chip on the Supermicro and Intel site is only for Win 2008 (V10.6.0.1002 9/12/2011).

I installed Win 2012 and let it install its default driver which is much newer then these older drivers.

V12.0.1.1019  8/9/2013

Everything seems to be working fine and I am getting about 1GBS transfer to my SSDs.

I want to be able to see the status of the RAID and assign a hot spare from Windows.

The version of the management software on the supermicro site is

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (Intel(R) RST)  10.6.0.1002

Support for Win 2008 is listed in the docs but not for win 2012.

What Raid manger software should I install?

And where do I download it?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: ICH10R and W2012 What Raid manager software should I install?
          allan_intel

The following Intel® Rapid Storage version will be compatible for Windows® 2012 Server: IRST: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

I would also recommend contacting Supermicro since they may have customized Intel® Rapid Storage software for your motherboard model.

Allan.

• 2. Re: ICH10R and W2012 What Raid manager software should I install?
            Austin77

Allan,

This was my first post on the Intel forums.

Wow fast response and great support.

Some follow up questions.

I found a command line version of the RST manager.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

I would prefer to use this since it is a single file.

1) Where do I download the latest version of the CLI RST manager for win2012

compatible with my hardware (ICH10R)?

2) Will the CLI handle these requirements?

I will only ever do RAID 1

and want to assign a hot spare.

I need to monitor the RAID.

Do you generate events in the event log when one of the RAID drives fail?

I could set up a schedule task to run the CLI and log the results if I have to but

would prefer log entries since I already monitor  them.

For recovery

Can all recovery actions be performed from the CLI and BIOS?

3) This is the driver Win 2012 installed.

10.10.13.10 - Remote Desktop Connection_2016-01-04_18-39-46.jpg

When I choose update driver it says I have the latest.

Is this the best driver to use?

If not where do I download the latest?

Does it have to be installed when the OS is installed or can it be updated after the OS is installed?

Thanks again for great support on a 3 year old product that is just now being put into service.

• 3. Re: ICH10R and W2012 What Raid manager software should I install?
              allan_intel

The Intel support team does not support CLI, this is provided as-is on our site. Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver

When one of the drives fails, this is reported on the Intel® Rapid Storage main screen

I see you already have the latest version supported by your Intel® Rapid Storage controller. This is version 12.0, no matter if you tried version 14.0, the utility will install what is needed for your system.

Allan.

• 4. Re: ICH10R and W2012 What Raid manager software should I install?
                Austin77

The RST and Driver suggested in this reply actually does not work.

When I install RST it wants to install an older driver.

If I refuse the driver install RST will not run.

(Also the command line version of RST will not run with the newer driver.)

If I install the old driver and RST on reboot RST runs but the system becomes unstable,

lags for seconds at a time, file copies become erratic and will actually drop to 0 for long periods of time.

With the newer driver Win 2012 installs every runs more then fine. It runs very fast and reliable in RAID 1.

I need to get this older hardware running under win 2012.

Everything is done.

Al I need is a way to monitor the RAID health.

Any ideas?

tx

• 5. Re: ICH10R and W2012 What Raid manager software should I install?
                  JF00bar

Try 14.5.2.1088 official.

OneDrive

If that doesn't work, you might top out at 13.x with an old intel rom.  Can update here.

OneDrive

• 6. Re: ICH10R and W2012 What Raid manager software should I install?
                    Austin77

A few months ago I installed the  latest version I could find, don't remember the version, but it caused a blue screen on reboot.

This version of the driver and RST Mgr seems to work fine.

Thank you!

Edit:

Is there a way to tell what version of the intel rom these servers have?

• 7. Re: ICH10R and W2012 What Raid manager software should I install?
                      JF00bar

I didn't tell you to install the latest.  I told you to install that one.  Past that revision, it doesn't work for x58, except for a few boards.

And you can find the ROM version on boot when the RAID or AHCI rom pops up(hit CTRL+I while booting).

Second option is open the Intel RST Gui.  Click on 'help', then on 'system report'.  It will be the second data set down, under 'Intel RST'.

Untitled.jpg

Allan will tell you what Intel supports.  I will tell you what works.  The difference is one is a dead end and the other has options.

Read through these forums so you can get a better idea of what's what.

Forum - Specific: Intel AHCI/RAID Drivers

Keep in mind that before you experiment, you need a full OS backup.  If the driver blob pukes, you aren't going to be booting.  But as you said, you've experienced that.  So just anticipate it, and work safely with a bare metal backup in hand(I use Macrium Reflect w/network img backups).  Get a full backup.  Get a differential backup.  Create usb/cd bootable media.  Restore the diff(takes 5 minutes since it's just the driver blob). 

I wish you luck.

• 8. Re: ICH10R and W2012 What Raid manager software should I install?
                        Austin77

JFoobar

I had to get back to you to thank you again.

I spent weeks! trying to get this hardware working on W2012.

Intel and Supermicro tech support really didn't help.

To be fair to them I purchased these servers 4-5 years ago before windows 2012 shipped.

I have everything working super good in RAID 1 configuration.

Two things I did made this hardware usable.

I switched to Micron M500 data center SSDs for the disks

and took your advice on the driver and RST software version.

Just in case this can help someone else.

The motherboards are Supermicro X8DTT-F

These versions are working very well together.

The servers have been in busy production for two weeks now no problems at all with good performance

2016-03-12 01_10_23-10.10.13.10 - Remote Desktop Connection.jpg

And thanks for the tip on Macrium Reflect.

I will check it out.