7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 9:49 AM by DiegoV_Intel

Cant Get Arduino to make Galileo Gen 2 LED blink!

Deeznuts

Hello, i succeeded at getting eclipse to get my Galileo's LED to blink quite easily, but i have tried over two weeks to get arduino to do it!!! I have this assumption that my arduino build is failing to communicate with my larger linux yocto image. Below is the output from the compiler:

Sketch uses 83,463 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 10,000,000  bytes {I HAVE A 32GB SD CARD WITH NOTHING BUT THE IMAGE THOUGH!}

#!/bin/sh

starting download script

# clupload script to invoke lsz

# Copyright (C) 2014 Intel Corporation

#

Args to shell:

C:\Users\Studio1\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.2+1.0/x86/bin

C:\Users\Studio1\AppData\Local\Temp\build8575511463010622039.tmp/Blink.cpp.elf COM15

# This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or

COM PORT 15

# modify it under the terms of the GNU lesser General Public

Converted COM Port COM15 to tty port /dev/ttyS14

# License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either

Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode

# version 2.1 of the license, or (at your option) any later version.

#

# This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of

# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU

# Lesser General Public Liscence for more details.

#

# You should have recieved a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public

# License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software

# Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA

#

echo "starting download script"

echo "Args to shell:"  $*

# ARG 1: Path to lsz executable.

# ARG 2: Elf file to downoald

# ARG 3: COM port to use.

#path contains \ need to change all to /

path_to_exe=$1

fixed_path=${path_to_exe//\\/\/}

#COM ports are not always setup to be addressed via COM for redirect.

#/dev/ttySx are present. However, COMy -> /dev/ttySx where x = y -1

com_port_arg=$3

com_port_id=$ {com_port_arg/COM/}

echo "COM PORT" $com_part_id

tty_port_id=/dev/ttyS$ ((com_port_id-1))

echo "Converted COM Port" $com_port_arg "to tty port" $tty_port_id

echo "Sending Command String to  move to download if not already in download mode"

echo "~sketch downloadGalileo" > $tty_port_id

Deleting existing sketch on target

#Move the existing sketch on target.

echo "Deleting existing sketch on target"

"$fixed_path/lsz.exe" --escape -c "mv -f /sketch/sketch.elf /sketch/sketch.elf.old" <>

$tty_port_id 1>&0

rz-sh: rz: command not foundroot@galileo:~# 000000000123273-sh: 000000000123273: command not

foundroot@galileo:~#

***AFTER THIS LAST LINE THE ARDUINO IDE JUST HANGS IN UPLOAD FOR HOURS, WHATS WRONG? WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?

• 1. Re: Cant Get Arduino to make Galileo Gen 2 LED blink!
          cbalmer
          failing to communicate with my larger linux yocto image

Sounds like your custom image is not a Galileo image. If you build a Yocto image that doesn't include the Galileo patches, it won't have Arduino/Sketch support. How did you build your larger image?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cant Get Arduino to make Galileo Gen 2 LED blink!
            FGT

Hi Deeznuts,

Maybe you are using the wrong image?

Take a look at the posts in Re: Sketch not persistent in SD card image for Galileo

HTH,

Fernando.

• 3. Re: Cant Get Arduino to make Galileo Gen 2 LED blink!
              Deeznuts

Yeah, and what about this USB device not recognized issue??? What do i do about that??? Windows won't even recognize my galileo or allow me to utilize the galileo port.

• 4. Re: Cant Get Arduino to make Galileo Gen 2 LED blink!
                FGT

Deeznuts wrote:

Yeah, and what about this USB device not recognized issue??? What do i do about that??? Windows won't even recognize my galileo or allow me to utilize the galileo port.

Hmmm... maybe I misunderstood your previous post:

"i succeeded at getting eclipse to get my Galileo's LED to blink quite easily,"

(i.e. I assumed the Galileo is already recognized given that you succeeded...). Anyway, please start from scratch and tell me where your install is failing. Please follow the step by step procedure at IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Get Started Guide | Intel® Developer Zone, I would be of some help if you choose Windows in Step 1 and Arduino in Step 2. For the driver installation and firmware update I followed the manual procedure, described at IoT - Installing drivers and updating firmware for Arduino on a system with Windows* | Intel® Developer Zone

HTH,

Fernando.

• 5. Re: Cant Get Arduino to make Galileo Gen 2 LED blink!
                  Deeznuts

I figured it out Mr.Balmer. It was a complicated mess:

- One issue was the fact that I probably didn't download the proper Arduino IDE.

- My usbser.sys file was also not in its proper location with the Windows System32 directory.

- And oddly enough, even after fixing all that, I couldn't get my Galileo recognized until I actually tried a different USB cable!!! Bizarre stuff!

* My attempt with C++/eclipse was way more convenient because I was able to establish communication through Ethernet natively(or out the box), unlike Arduino, which forces you to deal with this hassle of using USB, which is obviously a lot more complicated than it seems since there's about 10 other post on this community regarding the issue.

I suggest that the community pushes for a change which will allow Galileo to be programmed via Ethernet out the box, because if Galileo is such the computing device we need and want it to be, why be held hostage to a port which even isn't as capable as it would be on a device such as a smartphone?

Intel Galileo's mission and purpose is supposed to be to allow an individual or party to learn or develop IOT projects through, testing, designing and prototyping.

What percentage of individuals do you expect to practically do this if you have to blow 40 man hours playing with wires, storming through intels complicated web infrastructure for downloads, ordering stuff, reading various forums online, crying and nagging to people online, reading books!(by Makershed, which had none of the answers the forum gave me!), all in an attempt just to get your device connected to your laptop!!!

I mean, that's like buying a smartphone and realizing at the end of the week your going to need an IT certification just to get the phone to charge via the USB connection!

And I will add, I only succeeded in figuring all this out because I did have a CompTIA A+ certification, and I was willing, for reasons beyond my comprehension, to endure this brutal experience.

- A GUY FRUSTRATED WITH THE STATE OF THE ART!

• 6. Re: Cant Get Arduino to make Galileo Gen 2 LED blink!
                    FGT

Hi,

I'm far from being an "Arduino defender", but I find the Arduino IDE way faster and simpler than any other to start with Galileo.

My second simplest choice would be Intel XDK.

I never heard about your combination of

"

- One issue was the fact that I probably didn't download the proper Arduino IDE.

- My usbser.sys file was also not in its proper location with the Windows System32 directory.

"

I did, however, faced the problem of the USB cable, but it's a matter of USB 2.0 definition and Intel Galileo requirement/s.

HTH,

Fernando,

• 7. Re: Cant Get Arduino to make Galileo Gen 2 LED blink!
                      DiegoV_Intel

Hello Deeznuts,

I've posted a reply in your thread GALILEO IS A BIG DISSAPOINTMENT, CANT EVEN CONNECT!. We want to help you, and it'll be helpful to have all your concerns in one place. Please continue the support in that thread to avoid confusions with your other posts that are all about the same issue.

Regards,

Diego.