5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2010 10:37 PM by laafe RSS

Is my Intel Dual Core processor 64 bit ?

Sanjeeva

I have recently purchased a desktop with a Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6GHz processor. When I checked this processor under Properties, under system type it indicates "32 bit operating system" . This is contrary to the Intel wesite's information which confirms this processor as 64 bit.

Is my processor 32 bit or 64 bit ? How do you determine ?

• 1. Re: Is my Intel Dual Core processor 64 bit ?
          PeterUK

Yes you have a 64 bit CPU but you have a 32 bit OS you need a 64 bit OS.

• 2. Re: Is my Intel Dual Core processor 64 bit ?
            Sanjeeva

Thanks for your prompt answer. I have installed Windows7. How could I have a 64 bit OS as you suggest when Im already running on Wndows7 ?

• 3. Re: Is my Intel Dual Core processor 64 bit ?
              PeterUK

Because you can have 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7 when you install 32 bit Windows 7 it will only be 32 bit and when you install 64 bit Windows 7 it will only be 64 bit.

• 4. Re: Is my Intel Dual Core processor 64 bit ?
                Sanjeeva

Dear Peter,

Thank you indeed for your reply.It has been very helpful.

Could you also tell me, now that I have 32bit Widows7, is it less speedier than 64bit Windows7?

• 5. Re: Is my Intel Dual Core processor 64 bit ?
                  laafe

Yes and no.

64-bit OS (in this case Windows 7) does not make 32-bit program run faster, however 32-bit OS can not run 64-bit programs.

64-bit program is also not always faster than 32-bit counter-part assuming there is one.

As a matter of fact, if 32-bit and 64-bit programs are doing the exactly same thing, 32-bit program will run faster.

Having said that, 64-bit programs are generally newer, does more and designed to take advantage of 64-bit architecture has to offer thus run faster than its previous generation 32-bit programs.

It is more apparent in CPU/memory intensive applications like (Photoshop, Encoding, and so on).

If programs you have are all 32-bit programs, there should not be any compelling reason to upgrade to 64-bit.

On the other hand, if you want to take advantage of 64-bit architecture (such as more than 4GB memory) and applications in 64-bit edition,

you can consider installing 64-bit OS (Windows 7) because 64-bit OS will run 32-bit programs.