5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2016 11:35 PM by BenKissBox

WHAT WILL I MAKE? I KNOW NOW BUT HOW???

Deeznuts

Hey whats happening community. I am a person that has always wanted to build things and make things, especially in the realm of computer electronics, so my purchase of the Intel Galileo Gen 2 was intuitive, and never quite really aware of what i was actually going to do with it when i purchased it.

So i went through all the steps of downloading software and drivers, networking equipment and so on, and as i initially played with it i kept wondering what it was i was playing with and exactly why.

It was that simple yet powerful question stamped on the box that brought me to understand that i was working with a tool to develop and prototype projects.

So, moving beyond the question of "What will you make?", as now im am very aware, the real question is how will i make it?

Now, i am not the most educated in tech and programming, but my experimentation's have brought me to an understanding of the scope of my project a bit. My project is really quite simple, outside of what will be a chunk of specialized source code for a program i seek to write, but all it is is a Galileo controlling a video-capture input device, most likely over USB, blasgeh blasgeh.

My issue moving forward is a seemingly anti-linux C++ literature offering and community support on such topics.

My experience with Arduino made me say screw it, it sucks and i couldn't get anywhere with it, couldn't even get the damn light to blink on the board! Besides, i would rater learn something that my be worth something to an employer in the future.

So, i want to design my project almost strictly utilizing linux, the eclipse IDE and C++ programming language. Can anybody point me in the right direction for information and resources to work with Intel Galileo using C++, cause im quite sick and tired of going through all these web links to hear about ardiuno based methods,sick and tired of picking up books and getting directions for projects based on you strictly using arduino.

Thank You, PYRE

• 1. Re: WHAT WILL I MAKE? I KNOW NOW BUT HOW???
          DiegoV_Intel

Hello,

I recommend you to check the following site: IoT - IDEs | Intel® Developer Zone. There you will find the Eclipse IDE. In this other site you will find useful documentation for Galileo: IoT - Documentation | Intel® Developer Zone

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: WHAT WILL I MAKE? I KNOW NOW BUT HOW???
            BenKissBox

Hi Deeznuts,

I am bit puzzled by your position about the Arduino IDE for the Galileo. There are a lot of excellent tutorials related to Arduino in general and the Galileo in particular. When I got my first Galileo Gen 1 3 years ago, it took me less than 5 minutes to load the Blink example and run it as test. It took me more time to download the tools from the Web than compiling this script

When you ask to get directions about using C++ on Linux, I am even more puzzled. First point: Arduino IDE *is* C++.

Second point : Eclipse is much more complex to use than the Arduino IDE, and if you did not take the time to understand how to make it run, I wonder what you will do when you will have to configure Eclipse to make it run along with the Galileo.

Do you have any knowledge about embedded systems programming? I feel that you know how to program on PC or Mac, but you got disappointed when you had to deal with embedded devices. Using Eclipse rather than Arduino will not help you on that, all hardware limitations will be the same.

In conclusion, stay cool and take time to learn

• 3. Re: WHAT WILL I MAKE? I KNOW NOW BUT HOW???
              Deeznuts

You stated that Arduino "is" C++, is that exactly??? The reality is, is that in my persuit to design and prototype a project, i effectively commit myself to learning a programming language, and that would be something added to all the stuff i have to learn to formally educate myself in the field of IT. Like, this year i have to put work in to get my Network+ certification.

So, for you to understand my perspective, i am a maker that has priorities, if i am going to learn something, i would like to learn something to would be relevant or an added benefit to me in the industry i seek to work in.

C++ is good for a professional to know and have experience with, but i am a bit ignorant or lacking of a better definition to this arduino label.

There seems to be tons more resources available for Arduino related approaches, and i even purchased the Makers shed publication for galileo.

But if Arduino is C++, then that completely changes my perspective, and makes me want to pick my book back up. lol

• 4. Re: WHAT WILL I MAKE? I KNOW NOW BUT HOW???
                FGT

You stated that Arduino "is" C++, is that exactly???

No.

"the Arduino programming language (based on Wiring)" at https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Introduction

"The Arduino language is based on C/C++." at Arduino - Reference

I think it has many points in common, starting with (very similar) syntax, but I've not seen any direct comparison (I didn't look for, though).

HTH,

Fernando.

• 5. Re: WHAT WILL I MAKE? I KNOW NOW BUT HOW???
                  BenKissBox

Hello Fernando and Deeznuts,

sorry, but I confirm what I say : the compiler and the language in Arduino IDE is 100% C++. The compiler itself is the GNU C Compiler.

Any function within an Arduino program must be coded in C or C++. There is no exotic language over there

The libraries themselves are C++ classes, nothing else.

The Arduino "language" (based on Wiring) is a wrapper which provides a way to represent I/O in a way that beginners do not have to deal with something like a main function, and that the objects are instantiated statically (so beginners are not afraid of new() and delete()).

In other terms, Arduino has the power to be used by complete beginners to make their first steps in programming world, but also by confirmed programmers, since there is abolutely no restriction of using C and C++ (and even BSD / POSIX functions in the case of the Galileo). When you learn to program an Arduino, you do not learn a special language (Wiring), you learn a special API, which is completely different

The explanation I provided was to point out that using Eclipse does not make you a better C/C++ programmer. Eclipse is a powerful but complex IDE (I use it everyday on various embedded targets), but it's not because you know Eclipse that you how to program. As far as I understood, he wanted to use this to learn something which can give an added value to his job. And for me, two things are being mixed over there: learning how to program, and learning how to use a specific IDE. Let me point out that Eclipse is far from being the only IDE, and some employers will ask you to use Visual Studio, Embarcadero, Qt, etc... and will not want to have you using Eclipse because it's not their standard. And all those IDE are (or can be used) for C++ programming. So everything depends on what you want to learn, but as I said, Arduino is perfect to learn C and C++.

Benoit