3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 7:43 AM by Amy_Intel

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic KOTOR with HD Graphics 4600

Babylonclo

Hi,

I am having trouble playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on my integrated graphics card, which is an Intel HD Graphics 4600. The game runs fine, but there are many glitches with the textures, which look ugly and sometimes flick around the screen, making it difficult to see what's going on.

I've tried updating the drivers via the device manager, and then rolling them back, but nothing changes. The old driver version (when I roll back) is 10.18.14.4264. The new driver version (when I update) is 10.18.10.3643.

I read a steam support thread (Texture Glitch :: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic General Discussions) in which someone had solved this by using different drivers (for an HD Graphics 4000), so I was wondering if you could recommend any course of action for me with HD Graphics 4600.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Babylonclo

• 1. Re: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic KOTOR with HD Graphics 4600
          Amy_Intel

Hello, Babylonclo:

I'm not familiar with this 10.18.10.3643 driver version, however; you will be able to find the latest driver for your graphics controller at Drivers & Software and if you want give it try with Intel® HD Graphics 4000 drivers here you will find latest drivers Drivers & Software.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic KOTOR with HD Graphics 4600
            Babylonclo

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your answer. Updating to the latest driver has worked and the graphical glitches in KOTOR are gone! (For me, the latest version is 10.18.14.4332, for Windows 8.1 x64 and HD Graphics 4600.)

In case this helps anyone else, here is what I tried before I managed to make it work:

- Tried to use the Device Manager to "Update driver". For some reason instead of using the latest Intel driver, it was reverting me to an old version of the driver (10.18.10.3643), which appears to date from 2014.

- Downloaded the ZIP file of the latest driver from the Intel website and extracted it, then tried navigating to it via the "Update driver" command in the Device Manager, but it insisted I had the latest driver and didn't update.

- Tried running the Setup.exe file from the extracted ZIP, but received a message saying something like “Driver not validated for your computer” and the update didn't work.

- Tried visiting the Acer website to get what Acer thought was the correct driver (my laptop is an Acer Aspire VN7-791G). Acer still lists the old driver (10.18.10.3643) as the latest one. (Maybe this explains why my computer was convinced I already had the latest driver? No idea.)

- Found this thread from Kevin at Intel (Graphics Driver installation problems), which recommended uninstalling old drivers before trying to install new ones. Used the device manager to uninstall the current (old) driver. This left me with driver version 10.18.14.4264 (the one my computer had "rolled back" to before, despite the fact that it is more recent!)

- Tried uninstalling the driver again, but for some reason when I restarted the version still said 10.18.14.4264. Decided I had done enough uninstalling.

- Downloaded the EXE file of the latest driver from the Intel website. Executed that, and it ran and restarted, and the install worked fine. I started the game and the glitches are gone!

TL;DR what might help is:

- Uninstalling the current driver before trying to install new one.

- Using the EXE file for the new driver instead of the ZIP. (It doesn't make much sense but it worked for me...)

- Don't believe the Acer website or the Device Manager about what driver version is the latest one.

Thanks again!

BabylonClo

• 3. Re: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic KOTOR with HD Graphics 4600
              Amy_Intel

Thank you for sharing this information, I'm glad that this was resolved for you. If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.