Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

RST disaables auto-rebuild by default. Is there any reason it should not be enabled?

BLich
Beginner

A basic reason for RAID 1 is to image a new drive in the event of failure of one of the RAID 1 drives. Why is aut-rebuild disabled as default and is there any downside to enabling it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

What is the Intel® Rapid Storage version you are currently running on the computer?

Also, I would like to have your computer model number.

Allan.

0 Kudos
BLich
Beginner

Computer: Hewlett Packard HP 580T

RST: 14.0.0.1143

Appreciate your assistance.

Ben

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information.

Based on the product specifications, you are currently on Intel(R) X58 express chipset or ICH10R, please test the latest Intel® Rapid Storage supported by the X58 chipset version 11.6

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/22036/IRST-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?httpDown=https://downloadmirror.intel.com/22036/eng/iata_enu.exe IRST: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

Allan.

0 Kudos
BLich
Beginner

12.0 works but auto-rebuild still is defaulted to disable. Should I enable it and why should it default to disable, just the opposite of iRST's purpose??

Ben

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

It should not disable the option, it might be some sort of compatibility issue. That is why I suggested 11.6

Allan.

0 Kudos
BLich
Beginner

I installed 11.6 and it still reads "Disabled" Should I simply enable? Any harm from doing that?

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

This is a RAID 1, it mirrors the data you have on both drives. It should not delete or harm anything. I recommend backing up the information before you enable this option.

Allan.

0 Kudos
BLich
Beginner

RST reports "Disabled" and Preference will not allow it to chane to enabled. BIOS reports Raid 1 is active. Whats up?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please send pictures of the RAID BIOS and snapshot of the Intel® Rapid Storage.

Allan.

0 Kudos
BLich
Beginner

Thanks for your assistance. Attached are the 2 pieces of info you requested.

Ben

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks to the pictures, I understand this issue. Since this is a software/hardware RAID controller, hot plug is disabled by default because the chipset model on your computer was designed that way. This would work for server or workstation chipset.

If you ever get disk failure, you would to perform rebuild manually through Intel® Rapid Storage software.

Allan.

0 Kudos
BLich
Beginner

"

"you would to perform rebuild manually through Intel® Rapid Storage software. Not sure how you can do that?

Ben

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Under Manage or Create tab you would be able to rebuild the existing array.

Allan.

0 Kudos