1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 3:29 PM by EstebanC_Intel

NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update

igillerman

Shortly after a Windows 10 Update, the display connected to the NUC did not display an image - no signal. The blue light on top of the NUC was still on, so I manually rebooted the computer. The NUC came back on, but again did not display an image. After trying to manually reboot it again, the NUC failed to power up altogether. Now, when I press the power button, the blue LED comes on for a pulse and then goes off.

I checked the power supply - looks good. I changes the RAM configurations... What's next? RMA?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
          Ptrck

You can try pulling the yellow bios jumper, but if you are in the same boat as me your unit is probably dead. I'm trying different memory next week then I'm assuming I'll be sending the unit in for warranty service.

• 2. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
            EstebanC_Intel

Hello, igillerman:

Thank you for contacting the Intel® Communities.

Lets perform the following troubleshooting:

1. Test the system without RAM, you should receive 3 blinks in the power button, no video will be present.

2. Test your RAM modules separately on each DIMM slot.

3. Are you able to access the BIOS? If not, please perform a BIOS recovery by following the instructions here: BIOS Update Instructions for Boards and Kits

4. Also check that all the connections are properly set. (HDMI, power adapter, RAM, SSD, etc.

5. Test the system without any additional components, if it works, add one component at a time in order to check if one of them is the problem.

6. Test a different power adapter if doable.

7. Test the system with a different HDMI or DP cable.

Also, these blinking power LED codes could help you:

blinks.PNG

Ptrck Do you have a different post with this model or this happened with your Skylake unit?

I look forward to your outcome with these steps.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 3. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
              igillerman

Thanks for the reply... I was not able to get the BIOS Recovery to work. Same symptoms from my first post - when I press the power button, the LED blinks once and then nothing happens. Sounds like the system is dead...

• 4. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
                alialias3

Same problem. I configured automatic log-on. No display. Sometimes only on screen the Intel logo with 3 bootoptions. After that nothing to see but the blue led a little blinking and i  the beginning disk led also.

But I  connevted my headphone en after booting the Windows greeting login played. So windows started up and automatic login was accomplished but nothing to see. According to other forums this is a windows-update problem which I have not yet solved.

Sjoerd V

• 5. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
                  alialias3

Continued and solved

In THE BEGINNING I used only the HDMI output with result no display. After I connected ALSO the mini-display output, the nuc displayed the startup, login and etc. Everything as normal. Conclusion: display-output was changed after the windows update. HDMI was ignored and mini-display used. After I disconnected the HDMI ouput and restarted everything was normal displayed on the mini-display output. So the mini-diisplay output is preferred by windows. Sorry HDMI, but you come second.

Alialias3

• 6. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
                    EstebanC_Intel

Hello, alialias3:

I am glad to hear that you were able to get this to work.

I would like you to verify the IGD primary video output setting at BIOS level.

To find this setting: BIOS>Advanced>Devices>Video>Video Configuration.

This should be set as auto.

I look forward to your outcome.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 7. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
                      alialias3

The IGD primary video output is and was set to auto indeed.

Regards alialias3

• 8. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
                        EstebanC_Intel

Hello, alialias3:

I would like to know, what happens if both video ports are used? This would be with two separate displays (monitor/TV).

This is to know if the HDMI would provide display once booted in the OS.

I look forwared to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 9. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
                          alialias3

Dear Esteban C,

After your question you set me thinking. So I tried nearly all the setting and combinations with ports and settings and BIOS jumper.

In BIOS video setting of IGD out 1 to HDMI and 2 to minidisplay, or 1 to minidisplay and 2 to HDMI, gave only display on the minidisplay port. No visible display on HDMI out.There was some output on the HDM   preventing the monitor from shutting down).

On setting all to auto see above, this was the initial and is the standard setting.

With both 1 and 2 to HDMI no display at all. Even no BIOS display on starting, so now I could not change the bios in this situation. There fore I changed the BIOS jumper setting from 1-2 to 2-3.  No succes, no display, so I removed the safety jumper, no safety! Now I got display and could change my BIOS setting again.  Changed IGD 1 to minidisplay and 2 to HDMI. Only display on the now primary display IGD2 minidisplay port.

Conclusion the HDMI is useless and only the minidisplay gives display. Never got after the updates display on the HDMI port.

For the minidisplay port I used an adapter from minidisplay to VGA and HDMI, and for the hdmi port used an adapterHDMI to VGA, DVI+audio, The audio I did not use, instead I used the audio in/out of the NUC.

But nearly under any circumstances the NUC booted. Sometimes it started with a deafening beep and then nothing but a new start gave the windows tune but still no display. So minidisplay is primary and Microsoft and Intel have some work to do and buy tohgether with the NUC a minidisplay-adapter.

Hope this is a little help from a friend.

Allialias3

• 10. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
                            alialias3

Forgotten to say, as soon as I plugged in the HDMI port with ythe mini display already plugged, I lost my display on the minidisplay port and the hdmi did not show anything at all! So the HDMI is the evil one!?!?

• 11. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
                              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, alialias3:

Thank you for the information provided.

I would like to know, have you tried using straight connections for video?

Mini HDMI to HDMI.

It is recommended to use straight connections instead of using adapters that could affect the video signal.

I look forward to your reply and outcome.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 12. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
                                alialias3

Hello Esteban,

For HDMI out I used a direct connection and when I had black sreen tried the adapter but no succes. I do not have a direct display for mini display but used a adapter with both VGA and HDMI out but in most cases got display accept when I used also or or the HDMI out of the NUC. Now I am going to try the Windows Instrumentation Tool. Rolled back a windows update but no succes.

Regards Alialias3

• 13. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
                                  EstebanC_Intel

Hello:

I am look forward to hearing your outcome on this.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 14. Re: NUC5i7RYB Dead after Windows 10 Update
                                    alialias3

So i have display, but only on the displayport and only then when HDMI was not connected.

I rolled back 1 windows 10 update. No succes.

I started the nuc up from USB with windows instrumentation tool, but the tool could not detect a problem. Tried then to change video settings but then I messed up windows 10, and did a new windows 10 install continuous using the displayport. Tried first windows 7 with no succes. After installation plugged in hdmi and had the same problem and no succes. But everytime as I plugged in hdmi both displays tuurned black, but windows noticed, heard the sound of a new device. When I started with INTEL display settings program and choose extra display it said there was only 1,  Thats correct, then I plugged hdmi, the screen went black and heard the new device tune. Then plugged hdmi out and saw only for a moment that displayport was now display 2, that quick changed in 1. Regardless of what the settings for the video in the BIOS are. Only when when video was set on HDMI only there is no display at all. But now, after the installation when both ports are connected I do not see, when starting u,p the NUC logo and F2, F7 and F10 choice at all. Only when hdmi is disconected there is display on display port. A deep search on the internet did not gave me a solution.

I do not see any possibility to get the hdmi working and want to make use of my warranty to get this fixed.

Alialias3

1 2 Previous Next