5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 8:27 PM by Cesar Badilla

Usb 3.0 devices plugged on usb hub freeze other usb devices

geoslake

Hi

Im using a usb hub on both my nucs 5i5ryk and D54250wyk.

There's nothing plugged on it, except my logitech Unifying dongle.

Whenever I plug a usb 3.0 device on it (tried with various usb keys, and a usb card reader), I have no control on mouse or keyboard anymore (both are connected to the same unifying dongle).

Well, cursor sometimes move (but once every 10 seconds ), same for keyboard...

If I plug the 3.0 usb key(s) directly into the NUCs, it works properly.

If I plug the unifying dongle directly to the nuc, it doesnt change anything, same pb.

I thought it could be due to lack of power delivered to the 3.0 devices, so I bought a powered usb hub, doesnt change anything either.

Any idea ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Usb 3.0 devices plugged on usb hub freeze other usb devices
          mikec_intel

Hi geoslake,

According to your comments, it seems to be driver issue. I suggest you to install the latest NUC drivers according to your operating system and latest driver provided with Logitech.

Logitech Support

Logitech Support + Downloads

Intel® drivers

Drivers & Software

I recommend you to install the latest BIOS on each NUC.

Latest BIOS on 5i5ryk is version 0352 and D54250wyk is v. 0041

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: Usb 3.0 devices plugged on usb hub freeze other usb devices
            geoslake

Thx Mike, but I already have latest bios and drivers.

Seems it could be related to USB 3.0 bus, will try to plug the Logitech dongle on a USB 2.0 hub and report here. Cheers

• 3. Re: Usb 3.0 devices plugged on usb hub freeze other usb devices
              Cesar Badilla

Hello geoslake,

This does not seem to be a driver issue since the mouse and keyboards plugged directlyinto the NUC's 3.0 usb key(s) work properly.

It is recommended to use straight connections with high quality cables to ensure best performance. The use of kvm switches,  usb display adapters,  and VGA/DVI/HDMI Adapters is possible, however, we could not guarantee its functionality on all the cases. The same happens to Logitech Unifying dongle* it depends on it specifications and the maximum allowed paired devices. It would be good to contact Logitec* and confirm if your mouse and keyboard are compatible and if they have any suggested workaround for this issue. unifying dongle - Logitech Forums

Intel® NUC Board NUC5i5RYB's and Intel® NUC Board NUC5i3RYB's boards support eight USB ports. All eight ports are high-speed, full-speed, and low-speed capable. The port arrangement is as follows:

USB 3.0 ports:

+Two ports are implemented with external front panel connectors (blue and orange).

+Two ports are implemented with external back panel connectors (blue).

• USB 2.0 ports:

-Two ports via one dual-port internal 1x8 1.25 mm pitch header (white).

-One port is reserved for an M.2 1216 for the Wireless module.

Please take into consideration the board has a power sensing circuit that:

• Manages CPU power usage to maintain system power consumption below 65 W.

• Is designed for use with 65 W AC-DC adapters.

You could check the PSU(Power Supply) Wattage and confirm if it is more than 65W then it is recommended that you disable this feature (via BIOS option) when using an AC-DC adapter greater than 65 W which may prevent the device from providing full power to USB ports .

You could also test your Logitech Unifying dongle.*

You may get more information here https://downloadmirror.intel.com/24565/eng/NUC5i5RYB_NUC5i3RYB_TechProdSpec02.pdf

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Usb 3.0 devices plugged on usb hub freeze other usb devices
                geoslake

Ok Im back to confirm that (for people having the same issue) you have to buy a USB 2.0 hub and put your unifying receiver on it, then it all works.

You can then plug whatever usb 3.0 device onto whatever hub or not hub (the usb 3.0 hub doesnt play any role here) and it will work properly.

Cheers

• 5. Re: Usb 3.0 devices plugged on usb hub freeze other usb devices
                  Cesar Badilla

Hello geoslake,

Thank you for sharing your solution on this forum.

I hope this helps others in the communities resolve this type of issue.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.