3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 8:29 AM by DiegoV_Intel

could the intel edison used to share files from an HD

benoitc

I am wondering if the Intel Edison could be used to share file from an HD plugged to USB over the wifi?

• 1. Re: could the intel edison used to share files from an HD
          DiegoV_Intel

Hello benoitc,

Let me know if I understood you correctly. You want to connect a Hard Drive to the USB port of the Edison board, right? If so, it is possible. I haven't tried connecting a Hard Drive, but if you connect a Flash Drive, you can access the files that are stored in it, so you would be able to copy, edit or remove them.

About the Wi-Fi part, if you can access the files stored in the USB device attached, then you could share the files through Wi-Fi. For example, you can access to the Edison using the WinSCP software and get access to the Edison's files and copy them to your PC wirelessly.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: could the intel edison used to share files from an HD
            benoitc

Thanks for your answer!

Right, I should describe a little more the idea

I am thinking to build a small nas i would plug an ssd disk to the usb port to put on it the data doing something like a kinetic harddrive. I wonder if the CPU is enough for it. What do you think?

• 3. Re: could the intel edison used to share files from an HD
              DiegoV_Intel

Hello benoitc,

Well… I haven't tried to connect a Hard Drive, but you could try using a Flash Drive first and develop the project. I'm not sure if there are aspects to consider for the Hard Drive, but the only way to know it would be trying it, so I invite you to try with the Hard Drive if you already have one. You can share your results in the community; other users might be interested on a project like this.

Regards,

Diego.