3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2015 9:26 AM by mikec_intel

NUC5i3RYH Nic link lights off after shutdown from Windows 10

Kirchiri

Hello,

Just got a new NUC5i3RYH setup with Windows 10 x64 Pro. We have been experimenting with various features and are currently working on getting wake on lan to work using the intel remote keyboard app via android.

Here's the weird situation we are running into.

When I shutdown (actually shutdown, not sleep, not hibernate, etc), the NUC system turns off completely but the link lights on the ethernet port also turn off. After that, I cannot wake on lan as the ethernet is no longer receiving packets as it is unpowered.

Now, if I turn the NUC on, go into BIOS and power off from BIOS it enters the same power off state but the link lights are on for the ethernet and it will wake on lan from my android phone with the intel remote keyboard app.

Has anyone run into this issue? I'm still diagnosing but can't find anything yet. I have updated BIOS to newest, and updated all drivers to newest including NIC driver.

Thanks

• 1. Re: NUC5i3RYH Nic link lights off after shutdown from Windows 10
          Kirchiri

Hello,

So I figured out what the issue was to this odd problem. Apparently by default, Classic Shell's shutdown option in the start menu uses Windows 10 Hybrid Shutdown mode instead of good old fashioned power off completely. Oddly it seems the hybrid shutdown mode turns off the NIC whereas regular power off leaves it on. Idk why hybrid shutdown turns it off, but the fraction of a second faster boot time is not worth not having wake on lan. For those with classic shell, go into settings and type Hybrid into the search box, and uncheck hybrid shutdown mode.

Thanks

• 2. Re: NUC5i3RYH Nic link lights off after shutdown from Windows 10
            Kirchiri

Hello,

One more thing. Apparently even using native Windows 10 shutdown it uses this hybrid shutdown mode which turns the NIC off (no link lights). I'm not sure why and maybe an intel engineer can comment to that. I can only assume its a power state the NUC doesn't support? My solution is to use Classic Shell with that option unchecked so I can continue to wake on lan with ease. Also doing a command line shutdown /s is the regular shutdown.

• 3. Re: NUC5i3RYH Nic link lights off after shutdown from Windows 10
              mikec_intel

Hi Kirchiri,

Intel NUCs comply with standard motherboard requirements; NUCs BIOS has an option to Wake on LAN from S4/S5 (Turn it on). It is necessary to get into the LAN and Wireless drivers and enable Wake on LAN option.

In regards Windows 10 Hybrid Shutdown, it is a Microsoft® decision.

Regards,
              Mike C