Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Underscan issue on Intel 1080p laptop monitor. Need help!

MCrab
Beginner

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/xAtdl http://imgur.com/a/xAtdl

I bought a new laptop for Christmas (Windows 10) and so I started using it on Christmas day. After a few minutes, I've noticed that the screen does not fill up the entire size of the actual LCD monitor built into the laptop!

The resolution is (and is set to) 1920x1080 but even at that resolution, it's only filling about 85% of the actual screen real-estate. So I have a thick black border around the whole screen.

The laptop has integrated Intel HD 6000 graphics. I checked extensively through the Intel Control Panel but couldn't fix the issue. Tried changing scaling in Windows 10 display settings, nothing. Tried changing resolution and refresh rates, nothing. Tried disabling the driver, nothing.

It's an Intel i5 Dell Inspiron laptop. I've tried to adjust a lot of settings but to no avail. What can I do? Thanks.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, dAKirby309:

Could you please confirm the model of your computer and CPU model?

Have you tried contacting Dell in regard to this matter?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
MCrab
Beginner

Computer: Dell Inspiron 15 i5558-5717SLV Signature Edition

CPU: Intel Core i5-5250U 1.60 GHz

I was planning to contact Dell today or tomorrow on the issue.

This laptop is a touchscreen, is a half-inch underscan around the screen a feature somehow?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you for the information.

The issue that you're facing with is a known issue of scaling under Windows® 10 and Intel is currently working in order to address this issue but I would still recommend to contact your computer manufacturer to verify with them if there is something else that you could try.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
MCrab
Beginner

I tried installing Windows 8 on another partition and the same thing occurred. And in the BIOS, so this issue is system-wide. I contacted Dell and they didn't give me any insight and everything they had me try were unsuccessful. I don't get it...

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Have you tried to display to a external monitor in order to check if the issue persists on the external screen? You could also disable the Intel® HD Graphics driver in order to continue testing this behavior.

Let me know your findings.

0 Kudos
MCrab
Beginner

I have an external monitor but I'm waiting for the HDMI to VGA adapter to arrive. But I did connect the laptop to an HDTV and the underscan does not happen there. Also tried disabling and uninstalling HD graphics and the issue persists.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Alright, keep me posted.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi dAKirby309

Can you check the scaling option selected in CUI? using Custom Aspect ratio we can shrink the size of desktop but we cannot increase the desktop size. When the panel is set to native mode with "Maintain Display Scaling" then the desktop should come full. Also please save the CUI Information (Options & Support > Information Center > Save) and attach it here so we can review it. Thanks.

1. Display > Scaling: Provide what option is chosen.

2, Options & Support > Info Center > Save > attach txt with your response here

0 Kudos
MCrab
Beginner

Wasn't able to attach a TXT file so I pasted the text... hope that's okay.

Edited by Bryce@Intel - Converted text to attachment.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Thanks. Could you provide # 1 above?

0 Kudos
MCrab
Beginner

"Maintain display scaling". This is the only option available. I also installed Windows 8 on another partition to test and 1) it does the same thing screen-wise on there and 2) There are other options in Scaling but they basically don't make any difference.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Thanks! I passed the info on to the engineer. I'll get back to you.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi dAKirby309,

1. What did Dell have to say when you contacted them? Did they assign this a case# or bug# ?

2. Have you tried the latest Beta out on DownloadCenter? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25749/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

0 Kudos
MCrab
Beginner

They did assign a case number but it was a while back and I don't think I have it anymore. They said all they could do would be have someone pick up my laptop so they can take it somewhere to get it 'repaired', which would take a couple weeks and I felt like it was by design anyway so I felt it wasn't worth it.

I haven't tried the beta drivers, I may give it a try thanks! But I feel like it just may be by design - I ordered an anti-glare screen protector for the laptop (15.6 inch) and it fit the actual pixels of the screen just fine, the underscan was larger than the size of the protector so I'm guessing the underscan is meant to be there and it's just an EXTRA amount of space around the screen (for screen gestures that need your finger to slide in from a side? Maybe).

0 Kudos