9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 3:59 PM by mikec_intel

win7.1 system image restore fails no keyborad or mouse

claytonstan

System is D34010WYKH, Intel SSD, win7.1

I have been making system images for a year and a half now, feeling great every time I get something to work. For the first time yesterday, I tried to reload a system image. Followed the instructions and got to the Windows screen asking for "keyboard language". I tried typing, nothing; mousing, nothing. checked and keyboard lights are off and mouse light is off. WTH...??? Searched all over the web; yes its been seen before but no answers. Tried all the different boots. Nothing. Started taking note of USB3 vs USB2 issues and win7 not being USB3 ready. Sooooo... if NUC is USB3 and win7 is not, then am I working into the wind? Surely some NUC owner has tried to restore a win7 produced system image? I checked the forum and nothing came up.

PS not to confuse by working a thread into a thread, I also tried hooking up a second monitor, prime on VGA and second on DP to HDMI). Failed first time and the forums were of the opinion that you should avoid going through an adapter as they do not all work. So thanks to the great return policy on the local large electronics supermarket, I got a monitor with DP input. It worked out of the box and NUC took care of all settings without my intervention. Also the monitor (DELL 27") is the very easiest I ever had to assemble.

• 1. Re: win7.1 system image restore fails no keyborad or mouse
          mikec_intel

Hi claytonstan,

It is possible to install a Windows® 7 image on our NUCs, if you created the image from a previous NUC with the same model. Also, make sure both devices have the same BIOS version and configuration; otherwise, the operating system will not recognize the hardware.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: win7.1 system image restore fails no keyborad or mouse
            claytonstan

Thanks for reply Mike C

I am trying to reinstall an image on the exact same nuc NUC that created the image. I follow the win7 instructions but when I get to the screen that asks to select the language, I am dead in the water because neither the mouse nor the keyboard are active. Interestingly as I watch the system booting, the lights on the keyboard and mouse are turned on, suggesting their drivers have been loaded (?). But just before the screen asking for the language to be selected comes on, the KB and mouse light go out.

FYI the reason for trying to reinstall the image is I used EaseUS to change the partitions on the Intel SSD in the NUC. In the original installation, I partitioned the SSD and somewhat belatedly discovered that when I set up win 7, the operating system was installed on the 3rd partition (100MB partition used by system, my "data" partition, the windows operating system partition). Because of this, win 7 was unable to extend the operating system partition (even after I made the "middle" partition available). EaseUS was able to rearrange things BUT it left in my opinion malware on my system which required a lot of hand registry editing to get rid of. I thought I could make my system more reliably clean again by restoring to image taken before using EaseUS.

• 3. Re: win7.1 system image restore fails no keyborad or mouse
              mikec_intel

Hi claytonstan,

Make sure UEFI and Legacy boot options are enable at Boot tab. Also, go to Devices tab, at USB subtab: enable USB Legacy and disable xHCI Mode while operating system installation and drivers. Then, you can enable the option or set it as Auto.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: win7.1 system image restore fails no keyborad or mouse
                c0op3r

You may have to make a custome restore CD/USB Key that includes the drivers for the USB 3.o ports

• 5. Re: win7.1 system image restore fails no keyborad or mouse
                  claytonstan

Mike_C, I marked your answer correct because when I checked the BIOS settings according to your suggestion, I was able to get keyboard and mouse to work.

However that moved me to the next problem; I got error 0x80070057 when I clicked the finish button on the final image restore window. This is seen enough to have some suggestions on the web; so far none have worked. To get to this point though required some more grief. The System Restore Disk I created using win 7 on an external DVD-writer connected to my NUC with a SATA-to-USB converter, failed to boot. I had boot from USB checked in BIOS etc. I then put in the original USB stick with win 7 image that I used to install win 7 and NUC booted from that OK. Using the repair option on this win 7 install USB stick, I was able to get as far as win7 finding the image I wanted to restore but then it gave the error. Some on the web said to pull out the USB boot stick before pressing the final 'go' button on the reimage but that did not work.

I may give up trying to work with system images. On XP with 3rd party software it was a breeze. I may not trust win7 to do this. But this should be another thread.

Thanks again Mike for the information on setting up USB options.

• 6. Re: win7.1 system image restore fails no keyborad or mouse
                    claytonstan

Thanks C0op3r. If you read my reply to Mike_C, once I got to the point the KB and mouse were working, I ran into another problem with recovery disks created by win7 not booting. Your suggestion may be the answer to some problem there with missing drivers.

• 7. Re: win7.1 system image restore fails no keyborad or mouse
                      claytonstan

OK I have now succeeded in installing USB3 AND have made a system image and restored it.

Problems were combination of the BIOS settings alluded to above and possibly (not sure) drivers being installed in correct order with USB3 last. Among the issues were whether the internal sata hard disk was mounted or not (alongside the primary SSD with the system), the fact that this hard disk somehow (no doubt by me) got marked as active (though I cannot see how I did that), and the win7 security/ownership/authorization issues when copying files between systems (and losing a few). Bottom line is when everything is correct, it seems to work. Just to make one point clear, USB had to be set to legacy, xHCI=auto for things to work for me. However Mike C above pointed out that the settings might have to be changed at different parts of the installation.

Seems that a simple procedure document might be helpful. If I missed it it was not for want of looking.

Thanks all who helped.

Stan

• 8. Re: win7.1 system image restore fails no keyborad or mouse
                        claytonstan

PS It would be really helpful to get a text (or binary) copy of bios settings. The screen capture is very nice but it is realltime consuming looking for settings that might be changed. And most of the testing I did was trial and error rather than knowing what I was doing. A text file would help keep track of changes being made. Screen shots do not work so well when there is a slider control and the information is out of the window when the shot is taken.

Stan

• 9. Re: win7.1 system image restore fails no keyborad or mouse
                          mikec_intel

Hi claytonstan,

The option to track BIOS changes is not supported yet; but it would be a nice feature. I am going to escalate your idea with my supervisor.

Regards,
                          Mike C