5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 7:37 AM by ron8575

Differences between D54250WYK and D54250WYB?

ron8575

Are there any differences in hardware between these two?

In addition, how can I identify which of these boards I got?

Fiddling with the BIOS it says "D54250WY". What does it mean?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Differences between D54250WYK and D54250WYB?
          Apachez

WYK is board + chassi + external psu, WYB is just the board.

Personally I would recommend the later if you want to use a 3rd party chassi such as the ones from Akasa or whoever you prefer (takes some time to disconnet the board from the chassi since you dont want to break the board the first thing you do =)

For more info see http://ark.intel.com/compare/76975,81164

• 2. Re: Differences between D54250WYK and D54250WYB?
            mikec_intel

Hi ron8575,

Both devices have the same motherboard and processor inside. The model D54250WYB is only motherboard and processor; it is for computer developers; they can create their own chassis.

Then, we have the models D54250WYK and D54250WYKH, both include chassis and power adapter. The first option is the thinnest; it only supports a mSATA Solid State Drive while the D54250WYKH supports mSATA and 2.5” laptop Hard Disk Drive at the same time.

All the options have the same processor, motherboard and outputs.

More information about Intel® NUC Kits at

Mini PC: Intel® NUC

Regards,
            Mike C

• 3. Re: Differences between D54250WYK and D54250WYB?
              ron8575

Thank you! I have another question regarding drivers, memory support and BIOS update.

So from your description above I have what seems to be the NUC D54250WYKH, since it has slot for both mSATA and 2,5" HDD. My question then is, where can I find a list of officially supported DDR3L memory sticks for the SKU in question? Will I encounter issues with dual-channel memory configuration if I buy two identical 1.35v DDR3L sticks from any brand?

Lastly regarding drivers and BIOS version, are there any proprietary drivers for Linux yet? Especially for the iGPU as video playback looks kinda crunky and weird. And is the following page the correct BIOS version for my SKU?

Download BIOS Update [WYLPT10H.86A]

• 4. Re: Differences between D54250WYK and D54250WYB?
                Cesar Badilla

Hello ron8575,

Intel® NUC D54250WYB board has two 204-pin SO-DIMM sockets and support the following memory features:

- 1.35 V DDR3L SDRAM SO-DIMMs with gold plated contacts.

- Two independent memory channels with interleaved mode support • Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided SO-DIMMs

- 16 GB maximum total system memory (with 4 Gb memory technology).

- Minimum recommended total system memory: 1024 MB.

- Non-ECC SO-DIMMs.

- Serial Presence Detect.(SPD)

- DDR3L 1600 MHz and DDR3L 1333 MHz SDRAM SO-DIMMs.

You could compare Intel®  NUC models here Intel® NUC Comparison

In regard to you question about the supported DDRL Memory, we do not have a complete list of all the compatible memories but we have a list of tested peripherals here Intel® NUC Board and Kit D54250WY System Memory and you could get a wider list here CMTL > Search > Tested Motherboard > Results

You could get more relevant information from Build It: Resources for Building an Intel NUC System

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

NOTE To be fully compliant with all applicable DDR SDRAM memory specifications, the board should be populated with SO-DIMMs that support the Serial Presence Detect (SPD) data structure. This allows the BIOS to read the SPD data and program the chipset to accurately configure memory settings for optimum performance. If non-SPD memory is installed, the BIOS will attempt to correctly configure the memory settings, but performance and reliability may be impacted or the SO-DIMMs may not function under the determined frequency.

• 5. Re: Differences between D54250WYK and D54250WYB?
                  ron8575

What I'm primarily concerned about is dual-channel memory compatibility with the motherboard.

For example, if I get two Mushkin 4GB sticks (997037) will it work in DC mode? I know there is no definitive answer to that but just asking cause I also see "8 GB x 2" listed in the suggested links.

Perhaps would be keen to create a new thread exclusively for that!