7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 8:37 PM by Cesar Badilla

My NUC IR transceiver has died?

Jeckyll86

I'm running openelec but I have concerns about my NUC's BIOS.

Originally has Win-8.1 installed but I was finding it too hard to get the Xbox One media remote to work on it so I moved to OpenElec to et the advertised 'out-of-the-box' functionality with this particular remote. There was a BIOS issue when trying to get wake-from-s5 and power-off functionality working from my remote, but other functionality worked. At some point I was seeing very laggy behaviour (>5s) with the remote, and I'm not sure how but at one point the remote stopped working altogether. I've been trying to find any IR signals using evtest, irw and ir-keytable -t, but no events appear like they used to. I've tried various protocols (NEC, RC-6, LIRC) to no avail. I've got an autostart.sh that is successfully reloading the driver for the IR sensor (for no particular reason):

#!/bin/sh
      modprobe -r ite-cir
      echo "auto" > “/sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530:00/physical_node/resources”
      modprobe ite-cir

Looking at output of dmesg shows driver is being loaded accordingly.

This is the DN2820FYKH NUC which has the ITE8713 IR transceiver running the driver 'ite_cir', and not the nuvoton driver for the NTN0530. Tried disabling and re-enabling CIR from BIOS. Tried resetting openelec back to defaults and expected to have the functionality I once had return.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

• 1. Re: My NUC IR transceiver has died?
          Jeckyll86

echo "auto" > “/sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530:00/physical_node/resources” 

... mistype. Actually echo "auto" > “/sys/bus/acpi/devices/ITE8713:00/physical_node/resources” 

• 2. Re: My NUC IR transceiver has died?
            Jeckyll86

Could something be stealing/intercepting the IR events?

• 3. Re: My NUC IR transceiver has died?
              Cesar Badilla

Hello Jeckyll86

Please take into consideration the supported operating systems for the NUC Drivers & Software.

You may get more information at OpenELEC Configuration - OpenELEC *

In this particular case please try typing this in autostart.sh file to test your remote:

# modprobe -r nuvoton-cir

echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources

modprobe nuvoton-cir

Please confirm the current BIOS version of your  Intel® NUC DN2820FYKH?

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

• 4. Re: My NUC IR transceiver has died?
                Jeckyll86

Thanks so much for the reply.

Yes, I'm aware of Intel's stance on linux/openelec. I understand it's not supported, but my IR sensor was working initially, and openelec did a better job of supporting my Xbox One media remote out-of-the-box than Windows 8.1. Somewhere along the line something has gone wrong, and I suspect there's a lot of openelec users on this forum.

Loading the nuvoton-cir driver instead of ite-cir....

Note that this NUC has a ITE8713, not a NTN0530. The nuvoton-cir driver is available and loading it does work, but it properly disables my IR receiver as opposed to just making it dead-to-the-world.

My BIOS version is the latest FY0052.bio. I've also tried earlier versions (in particular one from March last year which was had the long-awaited fixes for lots of people's IR sensors).

dmesg output of your suggested autostart.sh:

$ dmesg | grep cir

[    2.630930] ite_cir: Auto-detected model: ITE8713 CIR transceiver

[    2.630934] ite_cir: Using model: ITE8713 CIR transceiver

[    2.630937] ite_cir: TX-capable: 1

[    2.630939] ite_cir: Sample period (ns): 8680

[    2.630941] ite_cir: TX carrier frequency (Hz): 38000

[    2.630943] ite_cir: TX duty cycle (%): 33

[    2.630944] ite_cir: RX low carrier frequency (Hz): 0

[    2.630946] ite_cir: RX high carrier frequency (Hz): 0

[    2.774684] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (ite-cir) as /devices/virtual/input/input11

[    2.774849] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (ite-cir) registered at minor = 0

[    2.774871] ite_cir: driver has been successfully loaded

[    3.938219] ite-cir 00:03: disabled

...and

$ ir-keytable

OUTPUT:

Couldn't find any node at /sys/class/rc/rc*.

If I then run:

modprobe -r nuvoton-cir

echo "auto" | tee /sys/bus/acpi/devices/ITE8713\:00/physical_node/resources

modprobe ite-cir

dmesg | grep cir

...the following is apparent (in addition to the above output from before):

[    2.630930] ite_cir: Auto-detected model: ITE8713 CIR transceiver

[    2.630934] ite_cir: Using model: ITE8713 CIR transceiver

[    2.630937] ite_cir: TX-capable: 1

[    2.630939] ite_cir: Sample period (ns): 8680

[    2.630941] ite_cir: TX carrier frequency (Hz): 38000

[    2.630943] ite_cir: TX duty cycle (%): 33

[    2.630944] ite_cir: RX low carrier frequency (Hz): 0

[    2.630946] ite_cir: RX high carrier frequency (Hz): 0

[    2.774684] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (ite-cir) as /devices/virtual/input/input11

[    2.774849] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (ite-cir) registered at minor = 0

[    2.774871] ite_cir: driver has been successfully loaded

[    3.938219] ite-cir 00:03: disabled

[  513.107562] ite-cir 00:03: [io  0x03e0-0x03e7]

[  513.107616] ite-cir 00:03: [irq 10]

[  513.108448] ite-cir 00:03: activated

[  513.108459] ite_cir: Auto-detected model: ITE8713 CIR transceiver

[  513.108461] ite_cir: Using model: ITE8713 CIR transceiver

[  513.108464] ite_cir: TX-capable: 1

[  513.108466] ite_cir: Sample period (ns): 8680

[  513.108468] ite_cir: TX carrier frequency (Hz): 38000

[  513.108470] ite_cir: TX duty cycle (%): 33

[  513.108472] ite_cir: RX low carrier frequency (Hz): 0

[  513.108473] ite_cir: RX high carrier frequency (Hz): 0

[  513.118643] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (ite-cir) as /devices/virtual/input/input18

[  513.119111] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (ite-cir) registered at minor = 0

[  513.119139] ite_cir: driver has been successfully loaded

...and

$ ir-keytable

OUTPUT:

Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event6) with:

Driver ite-cir, table rc-rc6-mce

Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC RC-5-SZ SHARP XMP other

Enabled protocols: NEC RC-6

Name: ITE8713 CIR transceiver

bus: 25, vendor/product: 1283:0000, version: 0x0000

Repeat delay = 1000 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

...note that I've been mucking around with Lirc, but enabling that protocol does me no favours (I do have the lirc.conf, Lircmap.xmland remote.xml set up though)

• 5. Re: My NUC IR transceiver has died?
                  Cesar Badilla

Hello Jeckyll86,

After seeing your dmesg and the "modprobe -r" I can see the line "[  513.119139] ite_cir: driver has been successfully loaded" stating your driver is fine.

Could you try running evtest  and let us know of the results?

Additionally, according to dmesg output "[    3.938219] ite-cir 00:03: disabled " could you please confirm the CIR is enabled at BIOS?

I have seen on other forums someone had a work around like this, you could try it on your own:

In the service file of xbmc  fist run rmmod ite-cir and then modprobe ite-cir before starting xbmc.

If you try this, please let me know of the outcome.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

• 6. Re: My NUC IR transceiver has died?
                    Jeckyll86

Thanks for ideas. No output from evtest, irw or irkeytable -t at the time of the last message. I think I had a problem with lircd stealing IR events. I'd made sure CIR was enabled in BIOS.

I'd already tried reloading the driver in openelec's autostart script (but thanks very much for responding with non-Windows advice).

I'd eventually found out that both my Xbox One media remote and another TV remote I was testing with simply were not creating IR events (mobile phone camera shows they do emit IR signals, but I have no idea where they go, and I can't pick them up on any protocol including lirc custom mapping).

Never could resolve the inability to power on from s3,s4,s5 via IR. I'm just going to leave the thing running indefinitely.

Thanks for your replies.

• 7. Re: My NUC IR transceiver has died?
                      Cesar Badilla

Hello Jeckyll86,

I know it is much work but is there any possibility to run Windows on your Intel® NUC DN2820FYKH and confirm if your NUC's IR transceiver has died?

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.