2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2015 9:27 AM by AntiChris

SoC interfacing with Edison

AntiChris

Hello people!

I have shortlisted a CMOS camera and an Image Signal Processor to work with, on my current project. Of course, this project is based on Edison. I am trying to build a near real-time video monitoring/streaming gadget with a back-end server deployed in NodeJS.

What I want to know, is how do I go about connecting these components? More importantly, is there a way that I can interface these components with Edison in any way?

I come from an application programming background with exposure in Linux and a very good understanding of C, C++, Py, JS and a few other languages. Brainf***k anyone?

So, if I can get the stream inside Edison with Linux on it, I can pretty much do anything with it. But, I am a noob when it comes to embedded systems. So, if I am sounding like an idiot, please pardon my ignorance and point me towards the right direction.

Thanks a ton!

• 1. Re: SoC interfacing with Edison
          DiegoV_Intel

Hello,

The Edison module has the following interfaces: SPI, I2C, UART, PWM, and USB. You can use those interfaces in order to communicate with an external device. I recommend you to check which interfaces are used by the components that you want to use. Also, I recommend you to check the logic level used by the components. The Edison module is 1.8V compatible so you have to use components compatible with 1.8V logic. If the components are 3.3V or 5V compatible, then you have to use a logic level converter to interface them. The Arduino Expansion Board for Edison has logic levels on board so you can interface 5V compatible devices with no problems.

On the other hand, I recommend you to check the following project; I think it might be interesting for you since it's similar to the one that you described: drejkim/edi-cam · GitHub

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: SoC interfacing with Edison
            AntiChris

Awesome! Thanks a ton for the reference. The project does seem pretty much alike.