Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Laptop monitor fades to white after flickering when watching videos, fades to white without flicker sometimes when powering down and booting up

JMosl1
Beginner

Hello everyone, I'm curious to what my problem is and how to fix it. I have a Dell Vostro 1015 (about 5 years old now I've had it) with a 4500HD chipset (I believe). I feel it's an issue with the graphics, either on the hardware or software level, I'm leaning towards software. I started noticing the problem about a month ago, and it was just with one particular movie. I thought the issue was with the film itself, seeing I had no problem with other videos. As time progressed, this flickering into all white phenomenon became common place with just vids. Then one night I cut the laptop off, cut it back on, and everything had faded to white without the flicker. I had to cut the power again, and when I rebooted it it worked just fine. Then I got to cutting the computer off again, and instead of me seeing the Windows 7 shutting down screen, everything faded to white again, even though my laptop continued it's normal functions. Even when it happens during movies, I can still hear it play as if nothing happened, but the screen goes to white. Then I tried to update the drivers for the Vostro laptop, and it faded to white again, meaning I had to manually shut it down again. So I really don't know what's wrong, and if it's a software problem, I don't know how to fix it, seeing that everytime I go near restarting/rebooting it happens, so I can't complete the process of updating. And insight would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Amethyst752:

Could you please let us know the driver version you are running? Please go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.

Please make sure that your computer is up-to-date with the BIOS, Chipset driver, graphics driver, go to http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/vostro-1015/drivers Product Support | Dell US and confirm that information.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JMosl1
Beginner

8.15.10.2869 is the driver version. I'll admit it's been a while since I've checked for driver updates (up to the point I ran into this problem, and now I'm afraid to try again), I've also noticed that if I unplug the laptop from the wall while it's on, the monitor will fade to white and I'll have to hard reset the whole thing. If I put it in sleep mode, unplug it, plug back in and start it, I don't run into problem as it relates to to the plug. Videos at random will cause the screen to flicker and fade to white, and I'll try the driver update again and hope the screen doesn't fade. I hope that helps you narrow down the problem, I"ll be waiting with gleeful anticipation!

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Were you able to install all the updates?

0 Kudos
JMosl1
Beginner

PC tells me that I have the most recent version, I was able to do this without running into the problem, and I've been keeping my laptop on since my last post for fear of losing my monitor all together. The update utility ran fine, and I noticed that the problem went away. Which then makes me think it's a hardware problem, but you'd know better than I. What could the issue still be?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

From your description it is hard to tell but you have to bear in mind that your computer is a little bit old and it is possible that this could be a hardware failure.

Have you tried posting this on the http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/ Support Forums - Dell Community? Maybe they can provide more feedback in regard to this matter.

You might find this helpful http://smallbusiness.chron.com/average-lifespan-laptops-71292.html The Average Lifespan for Laptops | Chron.com

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

0 Kudos
JMosl1
Beginner

Yes I agree, the laptop is getting long in the tooth. I appreciate your help and advice on the issue! Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

You're welcome.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

0 Kudos