1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2016 6:44 PM by hpetite

How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.

hpetite

Hi, I have an ASUS Z97-A mb with 2 Western Digital 1TB drives in a RAID1 configuration running Windows 10 Pro 64bit. About four or five days ago I had trouble after reviving from sleep mode and had to do a hard reset. After the reboot IRST said that the RAID volume was going through a verify and repair. After 8 hours or so it was at 11% complete. Since I had been through this before with a failed drive I thought this was taking way too long since at that time it completed the verify in about 3 hours. I decided to do another reset so I could go into the bios to check if I had SMART enabled (I did) and to use ctrl-i to check the raid utility. Every thing looked ok so I proceeded with the reload of Windows. Now, the rebuild was even slower; after 1 day it was at 1% complete. I let it continue and after another day it was at 2% complete. Right now, I am completely locked out of my system so can't check it again after a further 24 hours. The hard drive light is pegged (still) and my last view of Windows resource meter also showed the disk as 100% busy.

What do I do now?

Before I got locked out yesterday I wrote down some info:

• driver: 2014-04-03  version 13.0.3.1001
      • raid rom 13.0.0.2075
      • array available space 4MB
      • Windows 10 pro version 10.0.10586 9200
      • raid configuration:
        • array name SATA_ARRAY-0000
        • Size 1,907,739 MB
        • Number of volumes: 1
        • Number of array disks: 2
        • Disk data cache: enabled
        • Volume 1  status : verifying and repairing 2% complete
        • type: raid1
        • Size: 953,867 MB
        • System volume: yes
        • Data stripe: 64kb
        • Write back cache: Read only
        • Initialized: yes
        • Parity errors: 0
        • Blocks with media errors: 0
        • Physical sector size: 4096 bytes
        • Logical sector size: 512 bytes

When I looked at the 'Manage Volumes' tab  in the IRST utility it said there were zero errors.

My BIOS is AMI level 1204 and my processor is Intel 64 family 6 model 60 stepping 3 4.001 Ghz

• 1. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
          hpetite

Does anyone monitor these forums? If not, where does one go to ask Intel questions about their utilities? Yes, I guess that is a rhetorical question if the answer is that no one is paying attention.

• 2. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
            allan_intel

I have seen verify and repair running more than that and I always let the computer complete this task. It depends on the hard drive speed or hard drive integrity. You need to check for BIOS updates or worst case scenario, something wrong with the Intel® Rapid Storage controller on the board.

Allan.

• 3. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
              hpetite

Hi Allan, thanks for the reply. A couple of questions:

• does the verify and repair process start before I log into Windows or does it only proceed as a result of IRST starting once I complete logging in.
              • Is SMART hidden to the bootup and IRST? On my system, both drives were marked with a green check mark in the IRST status display. If SMART data is hidden by the RAID technology and/or IRST then how do I get the drives to display it? I had assumed that enabling SMART in my bios was sufficient to get some indication of a failing drive during boot or via IRST.
              • I thought the recovery process was a simple LBA by LBA compare so should not take days to complete. In my case I aborted it after 3 - 4 days. Last summer I did have a drive failure that was causing v/r in IRST and they always took about 3 hours until one of the drives finally died and at that boot the RAID1 either spontaneously broke or I had to break it (I can't remember at this point). In any case it was clear which drive was in trouble so swapping in a new drive and then recreating the configuration was straight forward. Today, I have no idea which of the two identical Western Digital 1Tb drives is in trouble.
              • 4. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
                allan_intel

1. This is after you login to windows. Intel® Rapid Storage has to be running.

2. The Intel® Rapid Storage does not inform if a hard drive is going defective. I understand does not see SMART errors, the Intel® Rapid Storage only see RAID structure issues not hard drive integrity.

3. As I mentioned on my previous post, I have left verify and repair running for several days, this will detect and repair any volume structure problem. You will need to check hard drive integrity with WD software.

Allan.

• 5. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
                  hpetite

Hi, Allan, do you work in the storage area of Intel? If not can you put me in touch with the Intel folks responsible for this raid technology?

I started my system up again last night around 21:30 and right now IRST is saying it is 2% complete. At this rate it will take 50 days to complete. Surely you are not suggesting this normal behaviour. Given IRST still shows the RAID1 volume as well as the two physical drives with green check marks, and the advanced display shows no error counts, I am at a loss what to do.

• 6. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
                    allan_intel

I have mentioned that your problem might be an issue with hard drive integrity or Intel® Rapid Storage controller on your motherboard and yes, I do work for the chipset department for few years now. 

Allan.

• 7. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
                      hpetite

My system is now at 9% complete.

What do the three green check marks mean that are on the RAID1 volume and two physical drives in the Storage System View on the ISRT Status tab?

Will the WD utilities be able to see the two drives while they are in a RAID1 configuration?

I am very reluctant to enable the network on the PC to try to install anything because:

• I am not sure if all of the needed services are running. During bootup, some components did not start correctly due to sub-component time outs and I had to manually start some services to get the system stable and to activate my antivirus software.
                      • If I start the network successfully, I have no assurance that any web site I interact with will work correctly and safely, also due to the extreme slow response time. Remember, when I click on something on the taskbar it takes around 15-20 minutes before I see any response. Clicking on the windows icon or the notification center icon does nothing, no matter how long I wait. So, if such a connection is made I would not be sure that nothing was falling through the cracks from a security or integrity perspective.
                      • Microsoft will almost certainly want to force some new Windows 10 patches on me after this length of time and I am not aware of any way to prevent this from happening and which will also generate a restart request. This is why I pulled my network cable.
                      • 8. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
                        allan_intel

Would you send a screen shot of the three green marks?

You will need to check with WD to see if their programs will see hard drive on RAID mode.

Allan.

• 9. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
                          hpetite

I can't really get that to you. I am responding to this problem report from a HP Stream 7 tablet which appears to not support any external storage devices like a usb drive.

On the IRST status tab where I see the progress (now at 19%), on the right hand side there is a section called System Storage View and in a box right below this is a display of the raid volume1 with a green check mark. The volume shows up as two side by side cylinders, the leftmost is blue or purple and the rightmost is green or gray with the check mark, definitely green. To the left of this, two smaller boxes are connected to the volume1 box. These two boxes are the two physical drives with a green check mark immediately to the left of each drive. I am a little colour blind so the colours of the two side by side cylinders may be a little off but all three check marks are definitely green. All three items, the two physical drive representations plus the volume1 icon are separately selectable with the mouse. The two physical drive icons allow me to see the port numbers, drive sizes, etc. while the volume1 icon allows me to see state info of the raid volume like error counts for example. There are no verification errors but there are 35 blocks with media errors detected so far.

• 10. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
                            hpetite

So far I am at 35% complete.

BTW there is a perfect example of the check marks on a raid1 config in your IRST Users Guide dated August 2011 revision 1.0 section 8.9. Just like in my case they are all green and the status says everything is functioning normally. However I obviously think that in my case something is not normal given the length of time the verify is taking. Also, I only partitioned my drives to assign 100GB to drive C and 200GB to drive D so I think the verify has past the point where there is any actual data. Still running just as slow though. According to section 9.2 of the above guide the verify starts at the lowest LBA and walks forward.

I am really surprised that IRST does not surface any SMART data to the user or to IRST itself.

• 11. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
                              allan_intel

The Intel® Rapid Storage was developed to check RAID level integrity, not the hard drive and SMART does let you know if there is any issue with HDD.

Allan.

• 12. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
                                hpetite

I did not get any SMART diagnostics during my last bootup so I am not aware of what was supposed to report them.

I am now at 46% complete. Any thoughts about whether I can safely cancel further verify and repair, given IRST is now well past any partitions that I have?

Also, Windows 10 seems to be slowly dying as parts of the system fail to keep in sync or complete on time. I tried to open a command prompt last night but it failed to actually open a window even though Task Manager says the CMD process is running normally; there also are quite a few processes that are no longer responding. My worry is that I won't be able to get Windows to shutdown cleanly.  If I cancel the verify operation and terminate IRST would the raid state survive intact from a hard reset or would it restart the verify from zero after such a reset?

Any opinions how I can proceed from this point would be helpful, especially since I still have no idea what drive, if any, is failing.

Finally, does IRST have a log I could check, assuming I can open up a file list at this point?

• 13. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
                                  allan_intel

The utility will re take what it was left if you shut down the computer. If you cancel verify and repair, you need to start over again.

I am not aware that Intel® Rapid Storage put a log on the hard drive.

Allan.

• 14. Re: How long should a raid1 verify and repair take for a 1TB volume? Mine has been going for days.
                                    hpetite

I am going to let the verify and repair complete since it is now at 68% complete. What can I do to ensure a restart will not cause the raid state to be compromised?  Like I said, I am not sure I will be able to get windows to finish a clean shutdown.

Can you contact the folks responsible for IRST so that they need to provide some diagnostics so folks in my situation can determine what is causing the verify and repair to take so long. There is obviously some impediment but IRST says everything is operating normally. My suggestion would be to make use of the Windows event logger to help debug things like this and/or surfacing data from SMART.

1 2 Previous Next