4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 1:31 PM by Curious592

DQ965GF   Not Installing Win 7   due to raid sata drivers.

curveball323

I put in a windows xp installation disc and it finds the drivers excellent. then i put in a windows 7 disc and when it comes to the which harddrive to install to. it says can't find drivers please locate. so i downloaded a bunch from intel and none are compatible. I don't know how to put windows 7 on. Microsoft says on their website that the dq965gf board is compatible but why won't it find any drivers to control the harddrive? i'm going to try reinstalling xp then updating the chipset and the bios and then see what happens. i hope it will fix it. then put 7 on. any ideas?????????

• 1. Re: DQ965GF   Not Installing Win 7   due to raid sata drivers.
          Curious592

Microsoft also claimed the 915 series was compatible with Vista but I never tried after adding a graphics card since the monitor was poor.  Perhaps more drivers became available but I only saw audio and maybe another.  Your plan is good.  Don't stop your installation of Win 7 once started to make changes (keyboard, AHCI vs IDE etc) or you end up with a messy system like I have with Vista 64.  I can't get rid of "Select CD-ROM Boot Type" now for reinstallation.

• 2. Re: DQ965GF   Not Installing Win 7   due to raid sata drivers.
            curveball323

Ok I fixed the Stupid problem! ibut i still don't know why it was acting that way. This is how i fixed it.

First I installed windows xp again and reformatted the whole drive while doing so.

Then I installed all the Chipset package for intel motherboard dq965gf

then I tried putting in the win 7 disc before booting xp to load and reformat the hard drive.. IT STILL HAD PROBLEMS

so i let xp sp3 boot and then I installed win 7 over the top of xp and it worked great. but still had one or two issues like i couldn't rename my harddrive from

F: to C: it was stuck named F: .. so i put in the win 7 disc before installation again and whala all of the sudden it recognized the hardddrive so i reinstalled win 7 with a full format and now its running .!!! but there is one small problem. now when i start the computer it says that i'm connected to two different wired network connections one private HOME and the other PUBLIC. it won't let me connect to the internet. I am only connected to a router through one cat5e. so to get it working I go into the Device manager and i disable the driver and reinable it. and then it works without a problem but it has the problem everysingle time the computer reboots..

• 3. Re: DQ965GF   Not Installing Win 7   due to raid sata drivers.
              Curious592

Without detailing my situation I will comment that I believe this is due to RAID.  It sounds like you have multiple drives so it may apply.  Intel prefers configuration as RAID rather than AHCI.  AHCI is actually separate from RAID.  I have no interest in RAID but switching single drives with different 32 and 64 bit OS resulted in the BIOS being configured as RAID.  The extra partition used by Win 7 probably makes this even more complex.  Doing a reset with the CMOS jumpered may help.  A new drive and proper install should allow the other drives to be properly formatted.  Formatting on another computer doesn't seem to help me much.

• 4. Re: DQ965GF   Not Installing Win 7   due to raid sata drivers.
                Curious592

Looks like I fixed my problems.  Enabled Aero even for my 17" CRT, on installation.  Desktop behaves much better.  Disabled QuickResume in BIOS under Power.  This is required for Viiv under RAID.  I had lost this change when I removed the CMOS battery.  If you are using RAID this may not help.