5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2015 2:53 PM by plmntfrd

Windows XP F6 Storage Driver

plmntfrd

I need a Windows XP system to act as a Print Server to a really old Colour Laser printer, where drivers are no longer available.

My plan is to use an Intel NUC DCCP847DYE running Windows XP Home.

I have created a Floppy Disc with the Storage drivers, but I do not know which of the many drivers offered at the F6 prompt to choose.

How do I determine the correct driver to select?

Those that I have selected as my best guess have all failed with the BSOD Stop 7B. F78D2524 C00000034... I.E. The typical Boot Device inaccessible.

Just in case it is useful, I have a Plextor 64GB mSATA SSD.

UP until now this system has been running Ubuntu, so I believe the Hardware is sound.

Finally, the NUC is running a very old BIOS, Version 0028, and the latest is Version 0058. Should I update?

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

• 1. Re: Windows XP F6 Storage Driver
          N.Scott.Pearson

Unless you are using RAID (and have enabled it in the BIOS), you do not need the storage drivers at all.

• 2. Re: Windows XP F6 Storage Driver
            plmntfrd

UPDATE...

There is only 1 mSATA device slot, so RAID is not an option. The BIOS choices I have are AHCI or IDE. Thank you for the suggestion.

I Updated the NUC BIOS to version 0058. Which appears to have stopped the BSOD.

However, following the previous suggestion, of not using F6, to install an XP driver, I am still not seeing any Mass Storage device, and hence cannot install Window XP.

I did install Windows 8.1 successfully, so it would appear that "something" is missing, when it comes to the XP install.. But what?

Could this come down to an incompatible mSATA SSD?

SInce I chose this particular NUC for its support of Windows XP Home, it would be good to hear from Intel where I'm going wrong.

regards

Paul.

• 3. Re: Windows XP F6 Storage Driver
              plmntfrd

UPDATE 2...

After much reading, the trick is to set the SATA interface in the BIOS to IDE.

In my case the 10% performance drop will not be a problem, so I'm happy to run with it.

It has allowed me to now see th SSD, and continue with the install... BUT... I've now hit the "missing asms" file issue which appears to be well documented, but not completely resolved. See this KB https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/311755

Having tried multiple methods to get around the missing asms file, I have given up on Windows XP, and am now looking to Vista.

stay tuned...

• 4. Re: Windows XP F6 Storage Driver
                mikec_intel

Hi plmntfrd,

NUCs comply with the standard of the latest operating systems and drivers availability for older OS are limited. I suggest you to install Windows® 7 or later.

The latest drivers for Intel® NUC Kit DCCP847DYE are in the link below.

Drivers & Software

Regards,
                Mike C

• 5. Re: Windows XP F6 Storage Driver
                  plmntfrd

Solution UPDATE.

As previously noted, set the SATA interface to IDE in the BIOS.

Install Windows 7.

Under Windows 7, create a folder, E.G. C:\MediaXP

Copy the whole Windows XP CD into the C:\MediaXP folder.

Change the File Permissions to Everyone:Full Access. Make sure this applies to Sub Folders also. (This step is required to allow the post Windows XP install to access the XP media files without have Access denied).

Install Windows XP.(don't forget, you will need the F6 driver) Keep the drive in tact, and install into a WINXP folder, NOT the existing WINDOWS folder that contains Windows 7. You will hit other problems, if you decide to delete the existing WINDOWS folder, and install into the default.

When you hit the missing "asms" message, provide "C:\MediaXP\i386" for the file location. There are a few other missing files that you will also be asked for, simply provide the same location, and eventually you get through the install, nice and clean.

On completion, the C:\Windows folder(containing Windows 7), can be deleted, if you need the space.

Thanks to all those who took the time to read these posts, and especially to those who provided their knowledge.

Regards

Paul