2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 7:02 AM by Ash91

Android communicates with Intel Edison over Bluetooth

Ash91

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to let my Android application communicate with Intel Edison over Bluetooth and configure wifi network of Edison on the android phone. Just like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cizn7NRGNDc. I know the procedure for Bluetooth pairing and sending/receiving data. But I have no idea on how to configure wifi network of Edison on my android? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

• 1. Re: Android communicates with Intel Edison over Bluetooth
          CMata_Intel

Hi Ash91,

Have you tried to contact them in order to know the approach they used?

My idea would be to create an app that runs iwlist wlan0 scan | grep ESSID on Terminal in order to get all the SSIDs available for the board, having the names the user could select which network to use. Next, the user should insert the Password for the network. Having the SSID and Password, you can re-write the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file and finally restart the service with systemctl restart wpa_supplicant.

That could be one way to accomplish this. I hope this gives you an idea on how to start.

The wpa_supplicant.conf looks like:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
          ctrl_interface_group=0
          config_methods=virtual_push_button virtual_display push_button keypad
          update_config=1
          fast_reauth=1
          device_name=Edison
          manufacturer=Intel
          model_name=Edison

network={
            ssid="YourSSID"

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
            pairwise=CCMP TKIP
            group=CCMP TKIP WEP104 WEP40
            eap=TTLS PEAP TLS
            psk="YourPassword"
          }

Regards,

Charlie

• 2. Re: Android communicates with Intel Edison over Bluetooth
            Ash91

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the reply, your explanation gave me a rough idea and motivation to start working on this project. And I came across Allseen alliance framework where they have a service called Onboarding  which is very similar to my needs Onboarding Service | AllSeen Alliance. But I'm not sure whether it will be feasible for my project as I wanted my app to communicate with edison via Bluetooth. Still doing some searching on it. Will keep updating