3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2015 7:44 AM by DiegoV_Intel

Driving Nokia 5110 with Intel Edison on Sparkfun breakout

geotheory

I have an Edison running on Sparkfun's red breakout Blocks, and am wondering about if/how to run a Nokia 5110 LCD.  I not from Adafruit it requires a SPI interface.  There's nothing mentioned in GPIO Block about this.  Is it possible to connect via that block, or another?

• 1. Re: Driving Nokia 5110 with Intel Edison on Sparkfun breakout
          DiegoV_Intel

Hello geotheory,

Which SparkFun blocks do you have? I took a look at the Nokia 5110 LCD and it has a SPI interface, so you must have access to the Edison's SPI pins. If the blocks that you have don't provide access to the Edison's SPI pins, then you won't be able to interface the LCD.

Another detail is that the LCD is 3.3V compatible, so make sure that the blocks have a voltage converter to interface 3.3V devices. The Edison module is 1.8V compatible, if you interface a 3.3V device directly to the Edison's GPIOs, you will damage the module.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Driving Nokia 5110 with Intel Edison on Sparkfun breakout
            geotheory

Hi Diego.  I can get whatever blocks work.  Right now I have GPIO, I2C and PWM.

Edison's VSYS is 4.4V, and e.g. the Sparkfun GPIO Block works at 1.8V, 3.3V and VSYS.  But I don't see any SPI references.

• 3. Re: Driving Nokia 5110 with Intel Edison on Sparkfun breakout
              DiegoV_Intel

Hello geotheory,

The Edison's SPI pins are the following: 51, 53, 55, 57, and 59. I've checked the SparkFun GPIO block and it doesn’t provide access to those pins. The I2C and the PWM blocks only provide access to those interfaces: I2C and PWM. Actually, I checked all the SparkFun blocks and none of them provide access to the SPI pins, or at least none of the ones that I checked provides access to SPI. So I'm afraid that you won't be able to use the LCD with the SparkFun blocks.

On the other hand, the Arduino Expansion Board for Edison provides access to the SPI interface, but it is not compatible with the SparkFun blocks. The Mini-Breakout board provides access to the SPI pins as well, but it doesn't include a voltage converter so additional hardware would be required.

Regards,

Diego.