1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 12:57 PM by neuberfran

how to access my home network from outside

neuberfran

Hi

To do that I configured my Iot cloud analytics (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9gPdWq4OH-XdlpaZHBBeGZiYnM/view?usp=sharing) and now (using iotkit.h) I can read temperature in my network. But  when  I'm out of my network What's the best solution ?

Yesterday I fixed static ip in my Intel Edison. I have account in DynDns and I have a Hostname now. I understand about port forwarding.

In Raspberry pi, I used ddclient (apt-get install ddclient) to dynamic DNS.  I trying use ddclient in Edison and have errors:

root@neuberfran:~# ddclient -v

Can't locate Sys/Hostname.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Sys::Hostname module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/lib/perl/site_perl/5.20.0/ /usr/lib/perl/site_perl/5.20.0 /usr/lib/perl/vendor_perl/5.20.0/ /usr/lib/perl/vendor_perl/5.20.0 /usr/lib/perl/5.20.0/ /usr/lib/perl/5.20.0 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/perl/5.20.0 .) at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 25.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 25.

Help me please

• 1. Re: how to access my home network from outside
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

Go to the Linux console and type:

wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/ddclient/files/latest/download
          tar –xvf download
          cd ddclient-3.8.3/

Now, follow the steps here wimpunk/ddclient · GitHub for the installation steps for your OS.

Let me know if this works

Sergio

• 2. Re: how to access my home network from outside
            eulerworks

Hello, you mention understanding port forwarding.

Perhaps give your device a static IP on your LAN, find your external IP of your gateway, (Internet facing, "whatismyip.com") and port forward your gateway/router to the appropriate host/port?

The simplest way to verify is to try and access the device from your phone, (Wifi OFF...) or from your computer via a (non-Wifi) hotspot, that way you will be accessing it from outside your LAN... from the same chair!

personally, once this works, I would worry about more dynamic settings.

• 3. Re: how to access my home network from outside
              neuberfran

Thank's Sergio,

I've done this. And I changed ddclient.conf. And I put  ddclient in /usr/sbin/

After

cp sample-etc_rc.d_init.d_ddclient /lib/systemd/system/ddclient

root@neuberfran:/lib/systemd/system# systemctl enable ddclient

Failed to execute operation: Bad message

root@neuberfran:/lib/systemd/system# systemctl start ddclient

Failed to start ddclient.service: Unit ddclient.service failed to load: Bad message. See system logs and 'systemctl status ddclient.service' for details.

root@neuberfran:~/ddclient-3.8.3# ddclient -v

Can't locate Sys/Hostname.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Sys::Hostname module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/lib/perl/site_perl/5.20.0/ /usr/lib/perl/site_perl/5.20.0 /usr/lib/perl/vendor_perl/5.20.0/ /usr/lib/perl/vendor_perl/5.20.0 /usr/lib/perl/5.20.0/ /usr/lib/perl/5.20.0 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/perl/5.20.0 .) at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 25.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 25.

I think  that is because libjson-perl package

How to install libjson-perl package in yocto image ?

• 4. Re: how to access my home network from outside
                neuberfran

Intel_Alvarado,

I installed perl-module-sys-hostname and now I have new error (Can't locate IO/Socket.pm)

root@neuberfran:~# opkg install perl-module-sys-hostname
                Installing perl-module-sys-hostname (5.20.0-r1) on root.
                Downloading http://repo.opkg.net/edison/repo/core2-32/perl-module-sys-hostname_5.20.0-r1_core2-32.ipk.
                Configuring perl-module-sys-hostname.
                root@neuberfran:~# ddclient -v
                Can't locate IO/Socket.pm in @INC (you may need to install the IO::Socket module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/lib/perl/site_perl/5.20.0/ /usr/lib/perl/site_perl/5.20.0 /usr/lib/perl/vendor_perl/5.20.0/ /usr/lib/perl/vendor_perl/5.20.0 /usr/lib/perl/5.20.0/ /usr/lib/perl/5.20.0 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/perl/5.20.0 .) at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 27.
                BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 27.

The other solution (for the future) is that : http://mkaczanowski.com/golang-build-dynamic-dns-service-go/

But I have error with NSUPDATE package

root@neuberfran:~# opkg install nsupdate
                Unknown package 'nsupdate'.
                Collected errors:

opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package nsupdate

• 5. Re: how to access my home network from outside
                  Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

I’m trying to install the same package as you and I’m receiving the same error. When typing ddclient I get the same error. I tried to install the  libjson-perl package and received a similar error to the one you are receiving now. The error was: Can't locate lib.pm in @INC…I then followed the steps of your last reply and managed to install perl-module-sys-hostname. This didn’t resolve the error. I then tried to install nspudate and libio-socket-ssl-perl. According to some users that is the solution to the error however they seem not to be compatible with the Yocto version of the Edison. What image are you using?

One option to get those packages and make sure they are included in your image would be to create your own image and add the files you need.

Sergio

• 6. Re: how to access my home network from outside
                    neuberfran

Hi ntel_Alvarado,

About this site openembedded - Classic OpenEmbedded Development Tree

I install everything via opkg and ddclient worked.

But now I stay have problems to keep wifi and fixed ip (192.168.1.XXX) working together

I change /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts files. my wireless network this alone disabling

root@neuberfran:~# configure_edison --version

Now I have this error:

root@neuberfran: ddclient

~# WARNING:  file /var/cache/ddclient/ddclient.cache, line 3: Invalid Value for keyword 'ip' = ''

• 7. Re: how to access my home network from outside
                      Intel_Alvarado

To what have you changed the file /etc/hosts? For the /etc/hostname, the proper way to change the hostname of the Edison is to use configure_edison –setup or configure_edison –name.

Using image 159 if you use the command reboot you’re not retaining the IP address?

Sergio

• 8. Re: how to access my home network from outside
                        LBC

Or in the alternative, just use NGROK      Way easier.  Nothing to download, nothing to change.  Keep using your localhost and existing ip address.  Not sure about the security model, though.  Its fine for software prove-out, not sure I'd use it for ongoing operations. 

• 9. Re: how to access my home network from outside
                          neuberfran

hI

Intel_Alvarado

Hostname here its OK

root@neuberfran:~# hostname

neuber.dyndns.xxx.xxx.

according thsi link:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/55880?start=0&tstart=0

User: DimitriM suggests that the command

"systemctl enable wpa_supplicant" to make Edison connect to Wifi automatically after reboot does not work with this static IP setup.

I'm having this problem and more. I have to disconnect my laptop usb cables (not just give the reboot command) and then restarted oh yes I command: configure_edison --wifi

I'm really trying to install: NSUPDATE.

I am participating in a mailing list to do this.

"

I'm trying to to this: http://mkaczanowski.com/golang-build-dynamic-dns-service-go/

But I have error with NSUPDATE package

root@neuberfran:~# opkg install nsupdate
                          Unknown package 'nsupdate'.
                          Collected errors:

opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package nsupdate

I see: "nsupdate to push updates on records. It is a part of the bind project, so it can be found in bind-tools or bind-clientpackages."

root@neuberfran:~# ping 8.8.8.8

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=0 ttl=53 time=55.101 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=1 ttl=53 time=32.649 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=2 ttl=53 time=32.983 ms

^C

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---

3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max = 32.649/40.244/55.101 ms

root@neuberfran:~# opkg install bind-client

Unknown package 'bind-client'.

Collected errors:

* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package bind-client.

root@neuberfran:~# opkg install bind-tools

Unknown package 'bind-tools'.

Collected errors:

* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package bind-tools.

"

• 11. Re: how to access my home network from outside
                            Intel_Alvarado

Do you have any updates on this case? If you’re looking to go with LBC's suggestion you can also take a look at ngrok for additional information and steps to install ngrok. I’d suggest you to try with this approach.

About the nsupdate package, you’re not going to download that specific package using that command if you’re communicating with AlexT’s repository, because that package is not available in the repo. If you want that package you need to find another repo that is compatible with Edison or download and install the package another way. To look at the packages available in AlexT’s repo look at Index of /edison/repo

Sergio

• 12. Re: how to access my home network from outside
                              neuberfran

Hi

Intel_Alvarado,

I can't solved.

I'm not trying Alex_T package. I'm using github Alex_T to question about NSUPDATE

I will insist on install NSUPDATE and/or solve problems with DDCLIENT (Here I have  dynamic IP)

1) What you investigated about : put statit ip in intel edison with yocto image?

2.1)  As I said, I am participating of the mail list of the yocto project and they could not help me with Dynamic DNS package recipes to put in yocto image (

3.1 – Adding standard Yocto packages in the image :IoT - Creating Custom Intel® Edison Images | Intel® Developer Zone

2.2/Do you can help me with this or with error correction ddclient/nsupdate?

• 13. Re: how to access my home network from outside
                                Intel_Alvarado

If your goal is to install nsupdate from the source then you have to make kernel modifications. You’d have to add the packages to the images and build your own image. For details on how to build your image look at the Edison BSP: Board Support Package (BSP) User Guide for Boards and Kits .  The steps in the BSP are similar to the ones here IoT - Creating Custom Intel® Edison Images | Intel® Developer Zone .

If you need a static IP take a look at Re: Configuring Edison for a static IP address ... . It has detailed steps to configure a static IP.

Sergio

• 14. Re: how to access my home network from outside
                                  neuberfran

LBC,

LBC 3

ngrok Need pain. not good

root@neuberfran:~/ngrok# ./ngrok http 8999 --hostname *.neuberfran.xxxx.zzz

Tunnel session failed: Custom hostnames are only available for paid plans. Signup at https://ngrok.com/signup

1 2 Previous Next