2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 8:10 AM by jasonv

ICS Win10 - impossible watching movie in 1080p and 720p over SMB sharing

Pozer

Over NFS, up to 1080 with no problem. Is some problem in drivers, windows or just HW? I can´t use filters over NFS in KODI.

• 1. Re: ICS Win10 - impossible watching movie in 1080p and 720p over SMB sharing
          ivanu_intel

Hello Pozer

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

What is the link where you’re watching the movies?

Are you using Windows 10 or this Kodi version of Ubuntu, if yes do you have this problem with Windows 10?

Regards!

Ivan

• 2. Re: ICS Win10 - impossible watching movie in 1080p and 720p over SMB sharing
            jasonv

SMB is a very messy and very noisy protocol. It takes a lot of back-and-forth to accomplish what appears to be a linear data transfer. There may be some tweaks that you can do to smooth it out somewhat, but its been a very long time since I've used it, so I wouldn't be able to direct you.

At the end of the day, NFS is a much more efficient protocol, which is why you are able to achieve a higher transfer rate, thus suitable for streaming high bitrate videos.

I'm not sure what you mean by "filters". A video filter, like smoothing or scaling? If so, I can't imagine there being any impact from the transfer protocol. Or are you referring to something related to searching? If that is the case, you might want to look into using a more media-centric protocol, like UPnP. XBMC/Kodi implements both client and server, so you could run a media center on the server, and access that media on your media center. The downside to this arrangement, however, is that it doesn't seem to have a service mode for just sharing media, its the full GUI or nothing. An alternative may be a dedicated UPnP server, like MediaTomb or miniDLNA for hosting the data, and then XBMC/Kodi on the mediacenter. I've used both, and my choice of media server depends on the hardware I'm running it on. MediaTomb is very powerful, but can be a challenge to set up. You can do things with it, like on-the-fly transcoding. Its big, takes a lot of resources, and has a lot of dependencies. MiniDLNA is very nice for running on something with very limited resources. Its pretty easy to set up, you basically tell it where to store its media database, where it can find media, and a few other simple configurations, and it just works. I run MiniDLNA under OpenWRT on a TP-Link TL-MR3020 wifi router with an external USB hard disk, IN THE CAR, to serve videos to a tablet for my kids on long car trips. It was a minor challenge to get it working reliably on the MR3020, because it is *extremely* resource constrained (400 MHz MIPS, 32 MB RAM, 4 MB flash), but on anything else, it would be easy and brilliant.