7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 6:07 PM by TX

5I7RYH Will not boot UEFI devices of any kind. Only legacy boot functions.

TX

I'm unable to boot UEFI devices of any kind. If I press F10 it will list my UEFI W10 install stick, but once I select it the screen flashes and takes me back to the select boot device. I'm trying to install Windows 10 on a M2 which requires me to install under UEFI boot mode. The same USB W10 install stick boots UEFI on other computers, but not this NUC. I've tried flashing bios 0247 through 0352 with the same results. After bios 0249 I can no longer boot legacy devices either, but I'm unable to boot UEFI devices under any bios version.

I'm open for any help.

Thanks

• 1. Re: 5I7RYH Will not boot UEFI devices of any kind. Only legacy boot functions.
          TX

Actually it will not list any internal SATA drives as bootable either under UEFI or Legacy.

I tried 3 different SSDs and two different M2 cards. One of which is NVME. Can someone from intel help me start an RMA on this unit? It seems to be defective.

• 3. Re: 5I7RYH Will not boot UEFI devices of any kind. Only legacy boot functions.
            TX

Thank you for the info. I've narrowed it down to the on-board SATA and m2 controller. It's not presenting those devices as being Bootable to bios. I can boot external USB drives, but the OS install fails. It lists the ssd drive for install but then says it cant install because the device isn't configured in BIOS  to boot so I can't install.

I have no ssd/m2 drives listed as Bootable in bios. I think this is a controller issue or bios failure. I have no similar issue with another NUC and same drives.

I'll rma this unit.

• 4. Re: 5I7RYH Will not boot UEFI devices of any kind. Only legacy boot functions.
              eulerworks

EDIT: @TX My apologies, I just re-read your OP again. Do the SSD/ M2's work as they are on the other NUC you referenced? You could try reformatting the drives if not?

Hello, have you flashed the BIOS? I have the 5i5RYH and had to do the BIOS update, it did not work through the visual BIOS, (as it did not see the network connection even though it was over Ethernet). I had to go the F7 route with the file on a USB stick. The process is very straigtforward, place the file on the USB drive, reboot, hold F7, navigate to the the file with arrow keys, hit enter to select. The machine may reboot several times but just let it run. You should get a screen message stating it's progress and completion briefly before it reboots again. BIOS updated. This also allowed me to boot Linux as UEFI afterward. However, according to the documentation, if both Legacy AND UEFI are selected, it will search for both/either. maybe change your priority and select both if you have not tried that.

Here is the download link:

Download BIOS Update [RYBDWi35.86A]

• 5. Re: 5I7RYH Will not boot UEFI devices of any kind. Only legacy boot functions.
                TX

Yes, they present themselves under the uefi and or legacy boot menu list depending on what type of device it is on the good I7 NUC. On this NUC it does not list any internal boot devices. The only listed Bootable device is when I plug in a USB boot stick or usb DVD drive.

The ssd and m2 devices are listed under the on-board SATA and m2 device list, but that controller is not presenting them to the bios boot device list so I can't boot off them. Nor can I install w7, w10 etc because the installer stops at drive selection stating there are no available boot devices configured in bios.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: 5I7RYH Will not boot UEFI devices of any kind. Only legacy boot functions.
                  eulerworks

Just to clarify, have you tried the removal of the BIOS recovery header and re-flash from USB?

Also, are the SSD's/M2 devices already installed with Windows? W7 should be ok...in theory as the UEFI wasn't so much an issue until 8.1+. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will. The drives you are attempting to install to blank or have an existing partition scheme/OS? If the drives already have an installed OS from a different motherboard it will be coded to it distinctly and therefore not boot under UEFI correct?

Lastly, Has the USB stick you are attempting too install from been used prior to successfully install? If, so is there a limit to how many times it can be installed? Perhaps creating a fresh USB installer could help, or maybe see how the drives are represented if trying to boot from a Linux Live version?

I am a Linux user, so forgive my lack of Windows knowledge but have had to slay the UEFI demon a few times for clients cloning/migrating systems, etc.

...There is also the option of the CMOS battery removal in addition to BIOS flash to wipe any persistent, non-volatile memory. Be sure to hold the power button down a few seconds to discharge any caps, etc. also while you have all power sources removed.

Feel free to ask any further questions.

• 7. Re: 5I7RYH Will not boot UEFI devices of any kind. Only legacy boot functions.
                    TX

Bios reflash has been done about 15 times. I've tried every method and version of bios. Motherboard cmos battery header pulled. Drives have been wiped clean. If I clone a good w7 drive onto a ssd and boot from a usb stick it does work but will not boot the ssd m2 whatever from bios without an external boot method. M2 cards were cleaned by using disk part clean from usb install.

None of these issues appear on identical i7 nuc.

Thanks.