8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 12:00 PM by EstebanC_Intel

NUC 5i5RYH I2C Custom Header Linux

eulerworks

Hello,

I am developing an application for the NUC which requires an I2C device. I do not want to use an intermediary device such as microcontroller, etc. if there is native support. It appears that there is a Custom Expansion Header footprint on the underside of the board. It is not populated.

Questions:

• Where can I find actual technical documentation for the internal motherboard?

-I would like a pinout of the expansion header ideally.

• -Has anyone populated this header?

-If so, where was the physical header sourced? Worst case, I do not mind soldering in directly if I can get a valid pinout diagram/dscription. It seems similar to the SamTec needed for the beaglebone black for baremetal programming/debugging.

*NOTE: Attached is a photograph of the NP header footprint.

With the i2c-tools installed on Ubuntu-14.04 I show (3) addresses on i2C bus 1.

Four (4) other buses exist, (all buses enumerated 0:4), of which, bus{0,2,3,4} show no connected devices.

Below is the output from the bus that DOES have devices associated. As per a forum comment, they may be the EFI controller?

/****************************SNIP******************************/

user_name@machine:~/SRC$ sudo i2cdetect 1

[sudo] password for minion1:

WARNING! This program can confuse your I2C bus, cause data loss and worse!

I will probe file /dev/i2c-1.

I will probe address range 0x03-0x77.

Continue? [Y/n] y

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f

00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 3a -- -- -- -- --

40: 40 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

50: 50 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 

/****************************SNIP******************************/

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as would escalating this question to an engineer who can answer some more technical questions. Thanks!

• 1. Re: NUC 5i5RYH I2C Custom Header Linux
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello eulerworks:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

Here you can find the technical specifications PDF for your NUC.

Regarding the headers present in the unit, please refer to "2.2 Connectors and Headers"

Here you will be able to find a layout of the board and the available headers.

Technical Specifications for Boards and Kits

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24565/eng/NUC5i5RYB_NUC5i3RYB_TechProdSpec02.pdf

May I add the following information regarding this: " CAUTION Only the following connectors and headers have overcurrent protection: back panel and front panel USB. The other internal connectors and headers are not overcurrent protected and should connect only to devices inside the computer’s chassis, such as fans and internal peripherals. Do not use these connectors or headers to power devices external to the computer’s chassis. A fault in the load presented by the external devices could cause damage to the computer, the power cable, and the external devices themselves. Furthermore, improper connection of USB header single wire connectors may eventually overload the overcurrent protection and cause damage to the board."

Regards,

Esteban C

• 2. Re: NUC 5i5RYH I2C Custom Header Linux
            eulerworks

@EstebanC_Intel I appreciate the response and link but that document does not have a single mention of the Header in question, nor does it provide pitch, etc. and therefore has little value unfortunately. It is not the depth I need for the project, as typically, a TRM, (or similar) is ~1300-1600 pages, not 78. True schematics and programming manuals, etc. would provide the information I need:

-The Custom Solutions Header footprint/solder pads are present but not populated, are the connections valid if populated?

-Does the BIOS version, (for this device: Download BIOS Update [RYBDWi35.86A] ) disable the GPIO pins needed for the CSH even if NFC is enabled and GPIO Lockdown is NOT selected? If so, is there a way I can attain a "development" BIOS within which the option is present?

-How/what does the CSH explicitly connect to for THIS model?

For this model the pins are:

I2C0_SCL, GPIO5, ball F3

I2C0_SDA, GPIO4, ball F2

I2C1_SCL, GPIO7, ball F1

I2C1_SDA, GPIO6, ball G4

I need to know what happens between the CPU ball and wherever it pins out, presumably the CSH as on other models.

I have measured the pitch and ordered the proper headers.

I have applied for a privileged membership but since been denied for some reason... So I have inquired as to why.

Any suggestions on how to proceed/attain the appropriate membership level to acces the necessary documents would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Steve

• 3. Re: NUC 5i5RYH I2C Custom Header Linux
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello eulerworks:

Let me further investigate into this and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

I will provide you with a resolution on this.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 4. Re: NUC 5i5RYH I2C Custom Header Linux
                eulerworks

Great, I appreciate the assistance @EstebanC_Intel

• 5. Re: NUC 5i5RYH I2C Custom Header Linux
                  EstebanC_Intel

Hello:

Sure no problem eulerworks, as soon as I get a resolution on this matter, I will be posting is in this thread.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 6. Re: NUC 5i5RYH I2C Custom Header Linux
                    EstebanC_Intel

Hello, eulerworks:

I just received the answer for your question.

Even though the header is available and could work electrically, it is turned off in the BIOS, which means that is is not going to be usable.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 7. Re: NUC 5i5RYH I2C Custom Header Linux
                      poogla

Hello Esteban,

I'm trying to connect Intel NUC HDMI-CEC Adapter | Pulse-Eight to the NUC5i5RYH board.

Can you please confirm that pin 3 in the Custom Solutions Low speed header placeholder is HDMI CEC, while pin 9 is 5VDC Standby?

Regards,

-P.

• 8. Re: NUC 5i5RYH I2C Custom Header Linux
                        EstebanC_Intel

Hello, poogla:

Thank you for your contribution on this.

I believe you are asking this because you would require soldering the custom header (this is as per the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the adapter mentioned that advises you to do this).

Please remember this is present but not able to activate, you could solder the cables to the pins but most likely it is not going to work since they are not usable, as advise before.

If any additional inquiries are present, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C