5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2015 10:47 AM by FGT

Issue Upgrading Firmware on Gen1 Galileo

luking

Forum-  I have a Gen1 Galileo board.  It's been in a box for a couple years, and I have been trying to upgrade the firmware.  The board will not accept sketches from the latest Arduino IDE with Galileo config, and booting from SD image using the latest IoT kernel fails. I downloaded the 1.0.4 updater for Linux (running Ubuntu 15.10 and OpenJDK version 6 for Java) and followed this guide.

The java updater app starts via SUDO, my USB port is found, and firmware version "732" is found on the Galileo.  When I start the update to version 1.0.4, the process begins, then hangs up.

I managed to make a serial cable using the 3.5mm jack, and I can boot the board "as-is" and log into the console:

Starting Bootlog daemon: bootlogd.

Configuring network interfaces... [   17.654566] eth0: device MAC address 98:4f:ee:00:12:dc

udhcpc (v1.20.2) started

Sending discover...

Sending discover...

Sending discover...

No lease, failing

kernel.hotplug = /sbin/mdev

sh: %4Y%2m%2d%2H%2M: bad number

INIT: Entering runlevel: 5

Starting syslogd/klogd: done

Stopping Bootlog daemon: bootlogd.

/sketch/sketch.elf file does not exist or invalid permissions

clloader waiting to receive.

Poky 9.0 (Yocto Project 1.4 Reference Distro) 1.4.1 clanton /dev/ttyS1

clanton login: root

root@clanton:~# cat /etc/version

root@clanton:~#

I can watch the firmware being transfered to the board from the Java updater app while watching the Galileo console, and at a certain point the transfer stops, with errors on the console side, but none on the Java app side.  Here is a picture of the Java updater app on the host computer at it's last state, with the Galileo console output in the background:

Screenshot from 2015-12-20 10-28-44.png

I could use some suggestions on what to try next, before fumbling around more.  Not sure if I should try loading a different CAP file, or maybe working more on the SD card boot.

Ideas?

• 1. Re: Issue Upgrading Firmware on Gen1 Galileo
          FGT

Hi,

Firmware update should be made without any SD card, so you should not use any for this task.

Since

a) I've heard of some problems for Galileo firmware update in Linux,

b) I've been able to update the firmware in Windows, following the procedure at IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Assembly using Arduino* | Intel® Developer Zone, and

c) Galileo firmware is the same for developing in Windows/Linux and Arduino/IoT

I would suggest you follow the steps found at the link above and once the firmware is updated you could develop in the environment you need/want.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Issue Upgrading Firmware on Gen1 Galileo
            luking

Update:  I followed FGT's suggestion and attempted the firmware update using a Win7 machine.  It was a VW under VirtualBox, and I couldn't get the updater to recognize the Galileo board.

Last night I used by wife's MacBookPro, and it finally worked on the second try.  The first time took 10+ minutes, and after the progress bar of the java app was done, I got an error of type 128.  I ran it again, and the second time I got the "firmware updated" message.

Sketches load from the arduino app now, and I can also boot from the IOT image from the SD card.  I'm very pleased to get access to the UPM and MRAA python libraries.

Thanks everyone!

• 3. Re: Issue Upgrading Firmware on Gen1 Galileo
              FGT

Update:  I followed FGT's suggestion and attempted the firmware update using a Win7 machine.  It was a VW under VirtualBox, and I couldn't get the updater to recognize the Galileo board.

Hmmm... I never tried using a virtual machine... maybe the USB assignment you chose (or VirtualBox's default )... I'll report in case I have to use a virtual machine. Btw, what is a "VW under VirtualBox" (I know VirtualBox, of course, I don't know what a "VW" is)?

Last night I used by wife's MacBookPro, and it finally worked on the second try.  The first time took 10+ minutes, and after the progress bar of the java app was done, I got an error of type 128.  I ran it again, and the second time I got the "firmware updated" message.

It's good to know it finally worked. I've not seen this kind of "unstability", though, but I've always used Windows (7 & 8.1, not virtual). I've upgraded several Gen 1 Galileo and only one of them was broken (actually, it never turned on, no possible upgrade). I do know there is some issue in the way the USB is handled, and it's been officially reported (the card is not recognized from time to time, mostly due to on-off sequences... more or less).

Anyhow, good to know you are able to work on the desired environment.

Best regards,

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Issue Upgrading Firmware on Gen1 Galileo
                luking

VW was a typo for VM. No obvious edit feature on Intel forums. Cheers.

• 5. Re: Issue Upgrading Firmware on Gen1 Galileo
                  FGT

No obvious edit feature on Intel forums.

The "Actions" pull-down menu below your own posts include the option "Edit"... I was lookign for several days to find it out (but I'm particularly "slow" for tasks like that one).

Fernando.