cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel PCIe 750 SSD Won't boot sometimes

BJohn25
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've recently built a new PC and am using the Intel PCIe 750 1.2TB SSD as my primary drive. The only issue I'm having is that every time I power the system off, it doesn't want to boot from the 750. Then, if I just go in to the BIOS and exit (doing nothing) it appears to boot up just fine. Or randomly it will boot fine. Otherwise it will just get stuck and sit at the ASUS logo.

I've run a memory test and confirmed it's not my RAM and have narrowed it down to being the drive as I can boot off of USB with no issues at all. (or another drive)

Here are my system details:

Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe

Processor: Intel i7-5960x

BIOS: Latest ASUS X99 BIOS

SSD Model: Intel SSD 750 Series 1.2TB

SSD Firmware: 8EV10174

Intel SSD Toolbox Version: 3.3.3

Driver Version: 1.3.0.1007

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brett

5 REPLIES 5

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello BrettJ,

Based on your description, it seems there may be a boot timing issue in your system, and the motherboard is not initializing the SSD on time. Please check the following items:

- Make sure that that the SSD is connected to a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot.

- Check with https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/HelpDesk_Download/ ASUS support and make sure you are using the most recent BIOS (currently 2001)

- Review the http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/nvme_boot_guide_332098001us.pdf Booting from an NVMe* PCIe* Intel SSD - Technology Brief, page 26-27. Here you will find the configuration recommended for your Motherboard.

BJohn25
New Contributor II

Sorry, I should have included this.

I am running the ASUS 2001 BIOS (which is the latest)

I read the Intel document you refer to and have the CSM settings setup as detailed in the document.

I have made sure it's in a 3.0 slot and even switched it from auto to 3.0 in the BIOS, also it shows it running as X4 in the bios.

Not sure where to go next at this point, it boots maybe 1 out of 5 to 10 times. It's infuriating as once it's booted everything runs completely smoothly.

Thanks,

Brett

EEsca1
New Contributor II

Just checking, have you overclocked the processor? I have sometimes (rarely) had similar issues when attempting to boot with an overclock that ultimately proved unstable. If you have OC'd, I'd try going back to stock and seeing if you still have the issue.

BJohn25
New Contributor II

Thanks for the replies!

I actually resolved this issue last night. Turns out a USB hub was causing all the issues, I disconnected it and everything is booting up great every time now.

Thanks again for the replies and help!

Brett