2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 6:38 PM by MajikalTrevor

Intel Edison w/Arduino board power - is it normal for the DC barrel input to fail?

MajikalTrevor

I've been powering my Intel Edison w/Arduino board through the mini-USB for over 2 months without significant issue.  I'm ready to use some more powerful sensors/actuators and I tried to power the board from only the DC connector and so far none of my 12V adapters are working.  I've used 3 different 12V DC C+ 2.1mm adapters without any of them powering the board (1A. 2A, 3A).  The board can still be powered through USB but I'm wondering if there is an obvious problem with the DC connector on my set up.  Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

• 1. Re: Intel Edison w/Arduino board power - is it normal for the DC barrel input to fail?
          DiegoV_Intel

Hello MajikalTrevor,

According to your description, the internal voltage regulator of the Arduino Expansion Board might be damaged. The USB power line doesn't need to be regulated because it is a 5V signal, that's why you can power the board that way, but the barrel jack is connected to the regulator's input, and the issue might be there.

First, make sure that your power supplies work. Measure their outputs to check if you are getting the 12V expected. Then, you can try to power the board through the VIN pin header. The VIN pin header is connected to the barrel jack power line. If you can power the board through the VIN header, then there is an issue with the power supply connector, but if you can't power the board, then the root of the issue is the internal voltage regulator.

I recommend you to submit a warranty ticket; the Warranty Team will help you with this issue: Intel Support

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Intel Edison w/Arduino board power - is it normal for the DC barrel input to fail?
            MajikalTrevor

I tested the 2A adapter and it was putting out a steady 12.3V so I connected it to VIN and the board would not power.  Based on what you say above this is a problem with the internal voltage regulator; I'll submit a warranty ticket.

Thanks!