Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20690 Discussions

Icons moving because virtual display monitor with an HD4600

DKohn
Beginner

Hello,

I have a Windows 10 x64 ver 1511 and HD4600 i7-4790k computer with a Acer B286HK 3840 x 2160 4k resolution monitor

I can run it using the DP DisplayPort, or HDMI at 4k res just fine, but I use DP.

When I turn off the monitor or unplug the DP cable, the icons move back to the left side.

I found out WHY:

If I log into my computer using "Remote Assistance" from another computer and unplug the DP cable, it turns out that Windows no longer detects a monitor, so it reverts to a generic non-pnp monitor driver,

and the Intel HD4600 shows me that it reverts to a "virtual display".

The Fix:

So, I go in and change the resolution of the virtual monitor (using remote assistance) to match what I was running with my real monitor, including my 150% scale factor.

If your monitor is only running HD, then this absolutely fixes the problem.

But, it turns out the virtual monitor does not offer a 3840 x 2160 4k resolution.

I tried installing a different monitor driver using "Remote Assistance" (generic pnp and the acer B289hk driver), but the 4k resolution is still not found on the list.

I think its because the Intel HD4600 driver doesn't have the 4k res in its "Virtual Display" list.

Is there a way to add 4k res to the Intel Virtual display, or keep the HD4600 from changing to a virtual monitor?

Thanks

Darrin

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MBrod
Novice

Intel marking this as "Assumed answered", LOL. Fix your drivers guys!

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for your feedback. I am still waiting for updates on this issue. The thread will be updated as news become available.

Allan.

0 Kudos