4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 6:30 AM by ivanu_intel

IRST V 11.0 on ROM, Will it support bootable RAID for Windows 10?

MikeLieberman

I have a system with a Gigabyte SB which includes an IRST "Option ROM" v. 11.0.0.1339. It is configured to support two 2TB drives as a RAID "0" 4TB "C" drive for Win 7. It works great and has for the past three years, I would like to upgrade the system to Windows 10. But the question is, will this RAID BIOS support it?

• 1. Re: IRST V 11.0 on ROM, Will it support bootable RAID for Windows 10?
          ivanu_intel

Hello MikeLieberman,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

In this case you will need to check with your motherboard manufacturer to see if your motherboard will support Windows 10 and if there are drivers available for Windows 10.

Now, it's always recommended to make a backup you information before doing an OS upgrade. I’m sure the IRST will work in Windows 10 but during the upgrade you could have any problem and lose your data; I have seen some customers reporting that doing this upgrade work fine but other customers has reported that the RAID 0 is not working any more after the upgrade, I have not tried this personally but if you would like to upgrade to Windows 10, back up all your information before trying that.

Regards!

Ivan

• 2. Re: IRST V 11.0 on ROM, Will it support bootable RAID for Windows 10?
            MikeLieberman

Gigabyte provided me a v14 Intel driver but it is a software driver and the v11 code is on ROM. An attempt to get Win 10 to see the driver, which was placed on a USB drive, failed as Win 10 did not appear to find the driver and did not ask for any drivers. The failure was specific to failure to read the disk correctly on the "second boot".

So at this point, I am stumped on how to get Windows 10 to see the proper Intel drivers during the upgrade installation process. I fail to see how Win 10 would know to ignore the ROM RAID code and ask for the software code.

I do have a backup, but it is a third party code and as I have never had reason to re-install, I am taking it on faith that it will work.

• 3. Re: IRST V 11.0 on ROM, Will it support bootable RAID for Windows 10?
              MikeLieberman

I tried twice. Once loading the Intel driver that Gigabyte gave me, 14.5, which they said was Win 10 compatible. It failed with a Win 10 exception specifically regarding the driver. So I tried the 14.8 driver here. It got a little further in the install, but once again I got an error message regarding the Intel driver.

For whatever reason, the Intel drivers are not Win 10 compatible with my drive setup, (and maybe the Option ROM in my PC,) though Win 7 likes them fine. Heck the new drivers cause Win 7 to works a little nicer than the earlier one.

I wonder if anyone at Intel wants to see my dmp file? :-) Anyway it looks like I am staying on Win 7 until this box dies.

• 4. Re: IRST V 11.0 on ROM, Will it support bootable RAID for Windows 10?
                ivanu_intel

What is the Gigabyte motherboard model you have?

This could also a compatibility problem with your motherboard and Windows 10.