1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 2:30 PM by EstebanC_Intel

Is my motherboard compatible with newer graphics cards and CPU's?

AaronAuron

My laptop is several years old, I believe almost 6 now, and have finally decided it's probably about time to do some upgrading; all of the components which I believe will be vital to your assistance are below.

System Model    M17x

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU  Q 740  @ 1.73GHz, 1730 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date    Alienware A10, 1/17/2011

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB

AUDIO:  IDT High Definition Audio CODEC and AMD High Definition Audio Device

VIDEO: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series

RAM: 8GB

HD: 1TB

So my main concern is my video card, but I am also not sure if my CPU is too out of date at this point as well.  I am not super computer knowledgeable, but I do know a little bit so I just ask you keep it simple for me to understand.

Main question:  Is my motherboard too out of date to upgrade my video card and or CPU?

Additional 1:  Are there any compatibility issues I need to worry about with a video card and CPU?

P.S.  If I have not covered something that should be a concern please let me know.

• 1. Re: Is my motherboard compatible with newer graphics cards and CPU's?
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello AaronAuron:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

After looking for the model of your computer, I was able to find some laptops.

If this is the case, my recommendation would be to get the compatible components of your device with the manufacturer, in this case the support would be provided by Support | Dell US

If it is a desktop computer, regarding the compatibility of the CPU, GPU, and RAM would also be provided by the manufacturer of the device.

This would be because it depends on the components that you have in the build to see which would be your options for upgrade and the upgrade for laptops is kind of limited, so you would be receiving accurate information from the manufacturer of the website indeed.

About the upgrade of the graphics card, it depends on the Motherboard that you have, also the power supply that you have, which would have to meet the needs in terms of power from your computer.

Regards,

Esteban C