1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 3:12 PM by aleki_intel

How to optimise my wifi card setting

kiru2014

I noticed that my wifi card has an advance setting. I am interested to play around(explore it).There is nothing wrong with my card, i simply want to have better understanding on the product.

I will appreciate if someone can guide me with the followings setting. May i know what is

roaming aggressiveness?

Should i enable fat channel intolerant

what is gtx, ht mode and throughput booster

currently i have enabme bluetooth amp, is it advisable to enable it and both my roaming aggressiveness and transmit power are set to highest setting. What will happen if i set lowest? Will i get lower speed?

edited, i just realise that enabling throughtput booster slow down my network by half, why is it so?

Thanks

intel+wireless.jpg

• 1. Re: How to optimise my wifi card setting
          aleki_intel

Hello kiru2014,

There are many things you can do to keep your wireless adapter otpmized and the first and most efficient recommendation is to always check with your computer manufacturer for the most recent drivers released but, be cautious, most drivers updates are not only intended for improviments, they also offer corrections and if your wireless adapter is working just fine, maybe you should keep it as it is. However, we will be more tha glad to instruct you to get the best of your wireless adapter.

1. Optimize wireless router location: Probably the easiest and most important improvement you can make is physically moving your router. Try a centralized location in your home. If it’s a two story home with a basement, put the router in the middle of the home on the first floor. Keep it away from devices that can interfere with a wireless signal, like a microwave or cordless phone. Also keep it away from foundational walls and out of cabinets. Don’t shove it at the bottom of an AV rack stuffed with home theater equipment or in your utility room. Your ultimate goal is to maximize coverage in the home by keeping the router away from things that might block or otherwise interfere with the signal. Try out a few different locations and then walk around your home with a wireless device and see how the signal changes.

2. *It is mportant that you know that optimization in this particular case, not only depends on wireless adapter itself, it also depend on how your network is setup, the amount of devices connected and what these devices are doing, if you have two devices streaming HD videos, other streaming music, other running background processes that requires bandwidth...etc. The kind of encryption

you use such as WEP, WPA and WPA2 For example,  you may experience slow connections and low speeds.

3. Optimize wireless router location

4. Maintain the router firmware updated is also a form of keeping your connection optimized.

5. Changing the channel on the router to a less crowded channel. Most router come by default set to channel 6 or 11.

6. Use WPA2 security only, WEP encryption used to be the standard when it came to wireless security. However, now it’s not only a poor form of protection, but it can limit the speed of your network. The same goes for the more modern WPA standard. If possible, you should limit your router to only work with WPA2 encryption.

wpa2.JPG

7. Desabling old wireless protocol can also improve the quality of your connection. Even though your fancy new router may be super-fast with 802.11n (or even 802.11ac), as soon as a device connects using an older protocol, say, 802.11g, the entire network slows down. The fix to this problem is to set the router to only broadcast newer wireless modes. For your reference, the speeds from slowest to fastest are: b,

g, n, ac. Notice in the picture below that you can select which modes you want the router to work with.

router.JPG

On the waireless adapter, you can look at the information in the links below:

Wireless Networking — What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Quick Checks That Might Improve or Fix Connection Issues

Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Resolving Wi-Fi Network Connection Issues

Wireless Networking — Frequently Asked Questions - Wi-Fi

Intel® Wi-Fi Products — What are the Advanced Wi-Fi Adapter Settings?

Abour your questions, hopefully they are answerd as wanted them to, please let us know if you have any other doubts.

What is Romaing Agressiveness?

You can find the answer here: Intel® Wi-Fi Products — What is Wi-Fi Roaming Aggressiveness?

Should I enable fat channel intolerant?

Unless there is a very specific reason to use it then you should enable, if not just leave it disabled. When enabled, the client informs access points that it does not support 40 Mhz wide channel-widths in the 2.4 GHz band.

What is HT Mode?

This mode allows you to specify which modes to support: High Throughput (802.11n) and/or very High Throughput (802.11ac).

Can I enable Bluetooth AMP?

It enables support of the Bluetooth Alternate MAC/PHY (AMP) functionality offered by Bluetooth v3.0 + HS, which uses Bluetooth for the initial connection of the devices and then utilizes Wi-Fi to transfer at faster speeds. It really depends on the usage you are planing on.

What is Throughput Booster? - When this feature is enabled, the adapter does not allow for other clients to have equal access to the available wireless bandwidth. Check this link for further information: Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Intel Throughput Enhancement

As or GTX, could you please let us know where saw this piece of information?

About seeting the Transmit Power to lowest, it implies on the range of the wireless signal can reach that is why it is recommended to have it set to 5. Highest

To go an extra miles in understanding a little more about wireless adapters, please check the following definitions in case you come accross other features you might have in other computers following the same line of your questions:  * Please keep in mind that these advanced settings can vary among different Wi-Fi devices and even accross drivers updates. Therefore, Tinkering with the settings, check if you are using the most current driver from your computer OEM.

Optimization settings

Fragmentation Threshold: Maximum number of bytes a packet can contain before they are broken up and sent in fragments. Typically, the default value is 2346 and is recommended unless there’s a large number of collisions and/or interference.

RTS Threshold: Maximum number of bytes a packet can contain before the request to send/clear to send (RTS/CTS) is enabled. Typically, the default value is 2347 and is recommended unless you have a hidden node issue, which is where clients are far apart and can’t hear each other but both can hear the AP.

WME: Enables Wireless Multimedia Extensions, also known as Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM), which is an automated quality of service (QoS) function. It can help increase the performance of sensitive traffic such as audio, video, and voice applications.

Xpress Technology: Standards-based frame bursting technology, based on 802.11e and WMM, from Broadcom that can improve throughput, especially in mixed 802.11b/g networks.

Afterburner: Enables support of a proprietary throughput boosting technology from Broadcom for use with 802.11g, which must also be supporting by the access point to see the benefit.

PLCP Header: Specifies the header type (Long or Short) used for CCK rates.

Antenna Diversity: When a client has two or more antennas, you can choose which receives the signals, perhaps useful if using a single aftermarket antenna, or leave it set to automatic if using the factory antennas.

Bluetooth Collaboration: Helps reduce the client’s Bluetooth and Wi-Fi adapters transmissions from interfering.

Mixed mode protection: Useful in mixed 802.11b/g networks, this enables the Request to Send/Clear to Send (RTS/CTS) and/or CTS-to-self protections techniques, which can help avoid traffic collisions.

Short GI: Enables the shortening of the Guard Interval, lessened time between transmitted symbols, which can help increase throughput and performance.

Data rate and standard preferences

AP Compatibility Mode: Allows you to choose how compatible you want your client to be with access points. Typically by default this is set to Higher Performance, which can exclude connections to access points that deviate from IEEE 802.11 standards. Broader Compatibility can be specified to allow those excluded connections, but could cause lacking performance.

802.11a: Data rate in Mbps at which data is transmitted for connections made via 802.11a. Typically, the following are the possible options: 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, and 54. The default is Automatic or Use Best Rate, which usually provides the best or maximum performance.

802.11b/g: Data rate in Mbps at which data is transmitted for connections made via 802.11a. Typically, the following are the possible options: 1, 2, 5.5, 6, 9, 11, 18, 24, 36 48, and 54. The default is Automatic or Use Best Rate, which usually provides the best or maximum performance.

Channel width: Allows you to specify which channel widths are supported by the client, such as the legacy 20 MHz, optional 40 MHz for 802.11n or 40 and 80 MHz for 802.11ac.

20/40 Coexistence: Enables coexistence techniques, which prevents the access point from using 40 MHz wide channels if it will interfere with any other detected networks.

Wireless mode: Allows you to choose which access points are shown in the list of nearby networks depending upon the wireless standards (802.11b, g, etc) you prefer.

BSS Mode: Allows you to restrict connections to access points based upon the supported standard (802.11b, g, etc).

802.11h: Allows you to choose whether 802.11h, which helps reduce interference in the 5GHz band from other devices and sources, must be supported by access points the client connects to.

Location: Where you can specify the location or country, which applies any required specs and regulations that are mandated for that area.

Ad-hoc wireless network settings

IBSS Mode: Allows you to select the standard and other preferences to use when hosting an ad-hoc wireless network.

IBSS 54g Protection Mode: Enables the use of request to send/clear to send (RTS/CTS) when hosting an ad-hoc wireless network.

IBSS Channel Number: Allows you to choose the wireless channel on which to host an ad-hoc wireless network.

Ad hoc power management: Enables the radio to be powered off or scanning disabled when the network is idle.

Ad hoc QoS mode: Allows you to enable Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WME)/Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) support for the ad-hoc network.

Power-related options

Minimum Power Consumption: Enables usage of 802.11 Power Save mode. This is when the radio can be temporarily powered off or scanning disabled when not associated to an access point or when the computer is idle.

Power Output: Allows adjustment of the transmit power, typically in predefined percentages (such as 100%, 75%, 50%, etc) of the normal output power.

U-APSD support: uAPSD is a WMM-Power Save feature that provides additional power savings functionality for some types of clients/applications.

Roaming and connection settings

Band Preference: Allows the client to choose which access point to connect to based upon your preferred band (2.4GHz or 5GHz), without regard to signal levels or SSIDs.

Association Roam Preference: When a specific band (2.4GHz or 5GHz) is preferred, this would maintain your preference with dual-band access points that use the same SSIDs for both bands.

Roaming Decision: Specifies the signal strength value for when other access points should be considered for connections, which could be lowered to make the client roam faster.

Roam Tendency: Specifies how much of a better signal another access point would have to provide before the client roams to it, which could be lowered to make the client roam faster.

Disable upon wired connect: When enabled, this would automatically disable the wireless when a wired connection is active. This is likely preferred as an Ethernet connection typically provides better performance than a wireless connection, and having both connections active can be wasted effort.

We do hope all the information provided helped you to clarify your doubts.