Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14615 Discussions

Will an i7 2600 or an i5 4690k be better for gaming with DX12?

AWill22
Beginner

Basically, I just bought an i5 4690k as an upgrade to my i7 2600, but I realized that with the release of DX12 and the better use of CPU threads I might still get better performance from the i7. Is this true or would the i5 still outperform the i7 in games that use DX12 and can make use of all 8 cores of the i7?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AWill22
Beginner

I suppose its my fault for not mentioning it, but I bought a new motherboard with the correct socket as well. However, as far as core utilization goes how much of an impact on gaming performance might be seen from the i5 over the i7 in a game that is optimized for using threaded cores on the i7? I realize up to this point in refrence to gaming there was no reason to buy an i5 over an i7 because most games were not optimized to use the extra 4 cores that an i7 could offer. Lately though I have heard that DX 12 will offer better core utilization for games, so is the higher clock but lower core count of the i5 going to offer more performance than the i7 in a DX12 environment or would it be a better idea to stick with my current i7(and motherboard)?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Furiontic,

If your games are not prepared to support hyper-threading technology, processors with better Core speed will be the best. It is hard to tell you how much of an impact on gaming performance might be seen from the i5 over the i7 in a game that is optimized for using threaded cores on the i7. It depends on the game and their settings.

The information below shows the advantages of DirectX 12.

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/4a/38/Efficient-Rendering-with-DirectX-12-on-Intel-Graphics.pdf https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/4a/38/Efficient-Rendering-with-DirectX-12-on-Intel-Graphics.pdf

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos