1 2 3 Previous Next 134 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 8:49 AM by cvare

NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time

Dalinian

This thread's initial OP appears below this Workaround Alert. Since folks afflicted by Intel's 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' intermittent defect can no doubt benefit most from learning how to avoid getting their NUCs bricked by it, it seems wise to present these bricking avoidance techniques at the top of this thread; and of course you're at liberty to read the whole conversation below, from which they derive.

Workaround Alert

or 'How To Avoid Getting Your NUC Bricked by Linux Suspend'

TL;DR use wake-on-USB to wake with an input peripheral (eg: keyboard, mouse, trackpad, etc.) or wake-on-LAN from a smartphone app.

Many reports in these forums, dating back to August 2014, show that the Intel NUC is afflicted by an as yet unfixed design flaw: when run under several different distros of Linux (Ubuntu, Arch, Mint, Fedora, Debian), each use of the Linux Suspend function carries a small but real risk of initiating a NUC-bricking incident. Susceptible NUC users are those who use a short press on the Power button to wake from suspend, because the first symptoms of an impending NUC-bricking incident are as follows.

NUC-Bricking: Symptoms #1

When Linux Suspend is used and works normally, the NUC goes into sleep mode, and the Power button LED winks amber. When the 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' problem occurs, these are the symptoms which afflict sleep mode:

• a short press on the Power button does not wake the NUC (as it ought to, and usually does) – the amber winking just continues; and
      • a long press on the Power button does not switch the NUC off (as it ought to, and usually does) – the amber winking just continues.

See 'Bricking Avoidance Workaround' below for ways in which to successfully wake a NUC exhibiting these symptoms, rather than experience...

NUC-Bricking: Symptoms #2
      Once a NUC is in the grip of symptoms #1, the only way to get the NUC to power off is by disconnecting the power cable. After the power cable is reconnected:

• a short press on the Power button does not switch the NUC on (as it ought to, and usually does) – the NUC is bricked; and
      • a long press on the Power button does not start the NUC up in Power Button Menu mode (as it ought to, and usually does) – the NUC is bricked.

Unbricking Workaround: to get a thus bricked NUC to work again, you have to fully disassemble the NUC, disconnect and reconnect the CMOS battery from the far side of the motherboard, and reassemble the NUC. Such a drastic remedial action highlights the nature of this failure mode as a manufacturer design defect.

Bricking Avoidance Workaround
      Two ways of avoiding the NUC-bricking consequence of symptoms #2 are known to be effective, and both involve alternate ways of waking a sleeping NUC: by input peripheral (wake-on-USB), and by mobile device (wake-on-LAN). They both take some setting up, which is described below.

BIOS Settings for Wake-on-USB and Wake-on-LAN
      On booting up your NUC, press 'F2 to Enter Setup' on your keyboard to go into Intel Visual BIOS Settings. On the Power tab (Advanced pull-down menu > Power), set your Secondary Power Settings to match those illustrated below.

Wake-on-keyboard-BIOS-Settings.jpg

Photo credit: sylvia_intel

Press 'F10 - Save and exit' (and 'Y' to confirm) to save these settings and reboot your NUC.This may well be all you need to do, so test to see if you can now wake from suspend with the USB-connected input peripheral of your choice (eg: keyboard, mouse, trackpad, etc.); if it works OK, then you should also be able to use it after a Linux shutdown to boot up your NUC.

OS Settings for Logitech Wireless Input Devices

My Logitech wireless keyboard+trackpad and wireless trackpad didn't work straight away to wake from suspend, but community assistance soon got them working flawlessly so if you too are using Logitech wireless input devices, please see the '2. OS Settings' section of post #39 below (» https://communities.intel.com/message/362981#362981 ) for additional set up instructions.

Wake-on-LAN Apps

To boot up and wake from suspend using wake-on-LAN, you can use a smartphone/tablet app so just search your mobile device's app store for 'wake on LAN' to acquire an appropriate app. For instance, I've tested the free 'Wake On Lan' Android app by Mike Webb, available in the Google Play store, and it works perfectly. Similar apps are also available for Apple iOS devices.

Workaround Works Fix is Pending

Once you've settled in to routinely using either wake-on-USB (ie: wake-on-keyboard, wake-on-trackpad, etc.) and/or wake-on-LAN, then even if symptoms #1 of the 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' defect should arise again, they'll most likely go unnoticed, since you'll no longer be using a power button short press to end a suspend and a simple routine tap on an input device or mobile app will wake your NUC as usual.This workaround thankfully avoids the NUC-bricking effect of symptoms #2, but it does not eliminate the 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' defect so we are still waiting on Intel and System76 to come up with a permanent fix for this defect; and that's why this thread remains tagged as 'This question is Not Answered'.

Dear Intelistas,

I have an Intel NUC5i5RYH (rebadged as a System76 Meerkat), which was delivered on 14 Oct 2015, with Intel BIOS v.0249 in firmware, and it booted from its M.2 SSD [1] into pre-installed Ubuntu 15.04 in around 15 seconds.

My NUC has now been bricked by the well-known 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem [2] five six* times (in 54 58 days of usage), about which many threads exist here at communities.intel.com (dating back at least a year) – and here is a list of what steps I've taken from those threads as potential fixes and implemented on my NUC, but all to no avail:

• upgrading the BIOS firmware: neither Intel BIOS v.0350 nor v.0352 (nor System76 BIOS v.0350) eliminate the 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem – and upgrading has slowed down its boot time from ~15 seconds to ~2 minutes <sigh>
      • mikec_intel's BIOS settings fix [3] does not eliminate the 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem
      • prigaux's 'echo 0 > /sys/power/pm_async' fix [4] does not eliminate the 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem

For now, the only effective way to avoid getting my NUC bricked for a sixth seventh time would seem to be the major inconvenience of avoiding using the Ubuntu Suspend function altogether; and I'd be very grateful if anybody could recommend a way to get my NUC back to booting up in ~15 seconds, as it did when new (and as might be expected from a motherboard-bound SSD boot drive).

Has Intel really failed completely to address this 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem?

Or is there yet another potential fix to the 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem I should try?

Thanks in advance for your attention and help.

Yours in frustration and disappointment,

Tim Jones

* UPDATES are in red: My NUC has now been bricked by the well-known 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem SIX times (in 58 days of usage).

[1] Its M.2 SSD: "M.2 SATA: Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB : PART 0 : Boot Drive"

[2] The well-known 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem:

• Mean time between failures: 9.7 days (6 failures in 58 days use, in my personal experience)  10.8 days (5 failures in 54 days of use, in my personal experience)
      • Symptoms #1: each use of the Ubuntu Suspend function carries a small but real risk of bricking the NUC. When Ubuntu Suspend is used and works normally, the NUC goes into sleep mode, and the Power button LED winks amber. When the 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem occurs, these are the symptoms which afflict sleep mode:
        • a short press on the Power button does not wake the NUC (as it ought to, and usually does) – the amber winking just continues; and
        • a long press on the Power button does not switch the NUC off (as it ought to, and usually does) – the amber winking just continues.
      • Symptoms #2: the only way to get the NUC to power off is by disconnecting the power cable. After the power cable is reconnected:
        • a short press on the Power button does not switch the NUC on (as it ought to, and usually does) – the NUC is bricked; and
        • a long press on the Power button does not start the NUC up in Power Button Menu mode (as it ought to, and usually does) – the NUC is bricked.
      • Workaround: to get my NUC to work again, I have to fully disassemble the NUC, disconnect and reconnect the CMOS battery from the motherboard, and reassemble the NUC.
      • Users of Linux distributions other than Ubuntu (eg: Arch Linux, Fedora, Linux Mint) have also reported experiencing this NUC bricking on using Suspend, so it could be described more inclusively as the 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' problem.

[3] mikec_intel's BIOS settings fix – as detailed in:

● 'NUC5i7RYH did not wake from sleep mode', 11-Sep-2015 to 15-Nov-2015

» https://communities.intel.com/message/331090#331090

...and involves making changes in Intel Visual BIOS settings.

[4] prigaux's 'echo 0 > /sys/power/pm_async' fix – as detailed at post #10 in:

● 'NUC dead after suspend mode in Ubuntu 14.10', 23-Dec-2014 to 28-May-2015

» https://communities.intel.com/message/309188#309188

...and involves using rc.local to write '0' into /sys/power/pm_async at each boot up.

PS: I've sought help from System76 tech support, but sad to say they're about as useful as a chocolate teapot –  so I'm hoping the Intel NUC community might be of some actual help in addressing these problems. After an email of complaints to System76 CEO Carl Richell, the 'chocolate teapot' tech (non-)support staffer has been replaced by a honest and helpful operations manager, and a possible fix has been encoded in a 'System76 Driver' update, so System76 are at least striving to address this defect; meanwhile Intel are asking for more time to investigate the problem (07 Jan 2016 update).

• 1. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
          snowpine

Hi Dalinian,

I had the identical problem on my i7 NUC as described here: Intel NUC i7 is a brick, HELP!!

My solution was to return the poorly-designed merchandise and purchase a Linux-compatible computer from another manufacturer. Intel employees have repeatedly stated on these forums that Intel NUCs were never tested with Linux prior to launch, and Windows is the only tested/supported OS. Very disappointing, as a desire to get away from Windows is the reason many of us chose "barebones" kits.

System76 has excellent customer service and, believe me, is well aware of the NUC/Meerkat reliability issues from numerous customer complaints. I'm sure they will take good care of you.

• 2. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
            Dalinian

Hi Snowpine,

Thanks for your informative reply, which I appreciate.

I'm beginning to think that the world's leading CPU manufacturer is both too incompetent to build computers that work properly with Linux Suspend [1], and too disingenuous to admit that they've completely failed to address their 12-month-old 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' problem.

System76 has excellent customer service and, believe me, is well aware of the NUC/Meerkat reliability issues from numerous customer complaints. I'm sure they will take good care of you.

In my unpleasant experience, the polar opposite is the case:

• in a pre-purchase question to System76, I specifically asked if there were known issues with Ubuntu Suspend on the Meerkat – having explicitly highlighed and linked to 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' threads here at communities.intel.com – only to be told, "Suspend works absolutely fine on our Meerkat. It's tested frequently and we haven't had any known issues from our customers"; so it seems very likely that they're perfectly happy to lie to secure a sale of a computer which, as you say, they know full well to be defective;
            • System76 tech support claim that my experience is both unique, and also something that's taken them by surprise (lie #2); in addition, they've been worse than useless in dealing with their 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead Meerkat' problem, and equally disingenuous in failing to acknowledge that they have no way to eliminate the fault that each use of Ubuntu Suspend risks bricking their Meerkat.

quote-ever-get-the-feeling-you-ve-been-cheated-good-night-john-lydon-248550.jpg

~ Johnny Rotten, after the last show by the Sex Pistols

My solution was to [...] purchase a Linux-compatible computer from another manufacturer.

Please could you share which Linux-compatible computer you purchased (make, model)?

And most importantly, does it execute the Linux Suspend function flawlessly?

Q. If Intel Atom and Core CPU chips are to blame for these multiple failures to properly execute the Linux Suspend function, are all Intel-CPU-based computers to be avoided when choosing which Linux-compatible computer to purchase?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Jones

[1] Intel are too incompetent to build computers that work properly with Linux Suspend:

• I bought an Intel Compute Stick with Ubuntu, only to find that Intel have removed Suspend from Ubuntu's session menu, because it doesn't work at all on their Compute Stick – eg: see 'ICS with Ubuntu: Missing Suspend Function'', from 19-Jul-2015 » https://communities.intel.com/message/316842
            • I bought a System76 Meerkat, based on their explicit assurance that "Suspend works absolutely fine on our Meerkat", only to find that they lied – and in addition that Intel have completely failed to address their underlying 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' problem across several NUC models, despite numerous complaints from Linux customers for at least a year – eg: see 'NUC dead after suspend mode in Ubuntu 14.10', from 23-Dec-2014 » https://communities.intel.com/message/270395
            • 3. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
              snowpine

Uh oh, I hope I have better luck with my System76 than you did! (It is in the mail.) As you say, they have a convincing sales person who reassured me their product is stable+linux-tested and all my concerns would be no problem. Their return policy seems generous. I am guessing that your suspend problems started after the 30 days; did they not offer to extend the return period because of your extenuating circumstances??

Honestly I feel badly for vendors like System76 and others who have staked their reputation as Linux+NUC resellers only to be stuck with a shoddy product. What can System76 do about it? They don't have the resources to write a new BIOS; that's Intel's job to get it right. I would not be surprised if there's a lawsuit in the works against Intel for continuing to sell a known-defective product over 1 year after the bug was first reported.

I considered going with an AMD system and jumping off the Intel bandwagon entirely after this debacle. But I wasn't able to find any AMD computers that were comparable in terms of performance and form factor. Was strongly considering the Compulab Fit PC for a while, but the benchmarks just don't compare to the Intel-based systems. If anyone has ideas/suggestions for a fast, small-form-factor AMD computer, let me know.

• 4. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
                Angela.Smith

Hey folks, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm also looking to buy an Ubuntu mini PC, so the System76 Meerkat is a potental purchase candidate for me - but I also need a computer I can depend upon to sleep when I'm not using it, and wake up again reliably.

I asked a sales question over at System76 (mentioning other folks problems with NUCs bricked by Ubuntu suspend), and their answer (from System76 saleswoman Emma) - which included "The suspend issue is definitely not a concern on our current units" - led me to discover this thread. Sounds like they told snowpine and Tim the same thing - "[our] product is stable+linux-tested and all [your] concerns would be no problem", and "Suspend works absolutely fine on our Meerkat. It's tested frequently and we haven't had any known issues from our customers" respectively.

So I asked a couple of follow up questions: "which is the version of bios which addresses the suspend problem? Have System76 coded a solution to a problem that Intel themselves haven't yet solved?" They replied as follows:

"We ship with v.0350 and it works. The bios fix was implemented at the end of November and it did resolve the suspend issue. We wouldn't be selling it if it were still an issue. I spoke with tech support and they confirmed it."

@Tim: am I right in thinking you installed v.0350 in your Meerkat, and yet it still got bricked after you used Ubuntu suspend?

• 5. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
                  Dalinian

"Curiouser and curiouser!" cried Tim (he was so much surprised, that for the moment he quite forgot how to speak good English).

__________________________________________________________________

@snowpine: so it looks to me like, by "It is in the mail", you mean that you're expecting a System76 Meerkat to be delivered to you shortly – is that correct?

While it's certainly conceivable that only a subset of all NUCs and Meerkats are afflicted by the 'Linux Suspend > Dead Computer' problem (in which case I sincerely hope you luck out by receiving an unafflicted Meerkat), I'm sorry to say that you may find as how you've traded in your defective Intel NUC Kit 5i7RYH for a built-to-order and similarly afflicted NUC5i7RYH with a "76" logo etched on to its lid.

Thanks for the heads up on a non-Intel-CPUed mini PC – I agree as how the raw performance of an AMD-APU-based CompuLab fit-PC4 Pro Linux looks to be less than an Intel-Core-based system, but it still seems like it may well suit my modest needs, so it's bookmarked against the contingency of my having to return my Meerkat for a refund.

Talking of returns... I don't know if your post was influential ("Their return policy seems generous"), but System76 have sent me return shipping labels for my defective Meerkat. If it is true that only a subset of all NUCs and Meerkats are afflicted by the 'Linux Suspend > Dead Computer' problem, then I may yet end up with an unafflicted NUC5i5RYH with a "76" logo etched on to its lid - provided, that is, that System76 can appropriately redeem themselves (and here's hoping they can).

@Angela: your skepticism is well-founded – my System76 Meetkat (ie: a built-to-order Intel NUC5i5RYH) has indeed been bricked by Ubuntu Suspend while Intel BIOS v.0350 was installed.

System76 have sent me a 'meer1-0350.bio' BIOS updater file, which I'm currently stress testing – but I'm expecting 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead Meerkat' incident #6 within 1-4 weeks, because:

1. in Intel's Power Button Menu [1], the detailed version data for System76's 'meer1-0350.bio' is IDENTICAL to Intel's v.0350 BIOS update, namely "RYBDWi35.86a.0350.2015.0812.1722";
                  2. 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead Meerkat' incident #4 (on Fri 04 Dec 2015) occurred 8 days after I flashed Intel's v.0350 BIOS update to my Meerkat's firmware (on Thu 26 Nov 2015); and 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead Meerkat' incident #5 (on Mon 14 Dec 2015) occurred 4 days after I flashed Intel's v.0352 BIOS update to my Meerkat's firmware (on Thu 10 Dec 2015) – conclusion: Intel have failed to fix their 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' problem in their v.0350 and v.0352 BIOS updates;
                  3. of their 'meer1-0350.bio' BIOS updater file, System76 told me "We have not modifies [sic] the suspending routine in the release we have." – conclusion: System76 have failed to fix their 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead Meerkat' problem in their 'meer1-0350.bio' BIOS update;
                  4. AFAIK, Intel themselves have made no such claim that they've fixed their 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' problem with any particular BIOS update – neither in this thread, nor in any of the other 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' threads here, nor anywhere else.

"We ship with v.0350 and it works. The bios fix was implemented at the end of November and it did resolve the suspend issue. We wouldn't be selling it if it were still an issue. I spoke with tech support and they confirmed it."

~ System76, pre-sales customer support

My experience so far flatly contradicts this claim. IF it is true that only a subset of all NUCs and Meerkats are afflicted by the 'Linux Suspend > Dead Computer' problem, you may be lucky in getting an unafflicted Meerkat (ie: YMMV) – but I'd suggest it would be wise for you to proceed with skepticism and caution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE #1: in post #6 below, Intel's very own Mike C. says, "We are working on this behavior, hopefully we will have a solution soon." The implicit logical corollaries are that:

1. Intel knows full well that neither their BIOS update v.0350 nor v.0352 fixes their year-long 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' problem; and that
                  2. System76 are lying to potential customers, such as Angela and snowpine, for the sake of selling defective Meerkats to them, by falsely claiming that "v.0350 works. The bios fix was implemented at the end of November and it did resolve the suspend issue."

UPDATE #2: in post #8 below, I document for Intel how 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead Meerkat' incident #6 occurred today, the day after I flashed System76's 'meer1-0350.bio' BIOS updater file to my Meerkat's firmware. So we now know for sure that the System76 v.0350 BIOS Update fails to eliminate their 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead Meerkat' defect. This sixth failure:

1. validates the 4-point list above; and
                  2. provides positive practical evidence that falsifies System76's bogus claim that "v.0350 works. The bios fix was implemented at the end of November and it did resolve the suspend issue."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Intel's Power Button Menu – accessed on an Intel NUC by plugging headphones into the sound out socket of a switched-off NUC, holding the Power button down until three beeps are heard, and releasing the Power button; the Power Button Menu appears in under a minute:

System76 BIOS v.meer1-0350 Power Button Menu.jpg

• 6. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
                    mikec_intel

Hi All,

We are working on this behavior, hopefully we will have a solution soon.

Regards,
                    Mike C

• 7. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
                      venik212

Since I have the very same problem with a nuc5i5RYK, I would love to see it solved very soon.

• 8. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
                        Dalinian

Hi All,

In an adjoining thread [1], Intel's Mike C. responded to a post I made there as follows:

"We noted some compatible issues between our NUCs and some Linux flavors. It is hard to provide support with each distro. I would appreciate if you can reply with the kernel version, BIOS version and customized settings that you are using. If you are using a customized kernel, please send a copy of it (ISO); you can send it as a private message or use dropbox or any other method."

~ Mike C., Intel technical support

@Mike: Thank you for your response, which I warmly appreciate.

While I have your attention, I'm sure as how we'd all find it valuable if you could answer this question directly:

Q. Do Intel claim to have fixed their well-known 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' problem with a particular Intel BIOS Update, and if so, which one?

[NOTE: Updates are in red below]

Software & Firmware Version Information for My Five Six 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' Incidents

For all five six 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' incidents on my Intel NUC5i5RYH (rebadged as a System76 Meerkat), the Ubuntu version and Linux kernel version have remained the same, as pre-installed by System76 at delivery on 14 Oct 2015:

• Ubuntu 15.04 'Vivid Vervet', 64-bit

• Linux 3.19.0-41-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 4 18:18:11 UTC 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've used the Ubuntu 'Software Updater' app to keep up-to-date with periodic 'Linux 3.19.0 generic' updates.

I'm not using a customised kernel. See further below for command line version info output and an 'About This Computer' screenshot.

'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' incident #1

• Date: 26 Oct 2015
                        • Failed after: 12 days usage
                        • BIOS firmware: Intel BIOS v.0249 (as pre-installed)
                        • BIOS settings: default (as pre-installed)

'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' incident #2

• Date: 31 Oct 2015
                        • Failed after: 5 days usage

• Date: 31 Oct 2015
                        • Settings change: I implemented prigaux's possible software fix (source: post #10 in » https://communities.intel.com/message/309188 ) as follows:

"I copied my /etc/rc.local to /etc/rc.local.original for safe keeping, and added the following to /etc/rc.local on Sat 31 Oct 2015.

# Suggested remedy to 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem
                          echo 0 > /sys/power/pm_async

Only time will tell if this solution proves to be effective."

'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' incident #3

• Date: 24 Nov 2015
                        • Failed after: 24 days usage
                        • Settings change conclusion: prigaux's possible software fix fails to eliminate the 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem

'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' incident #4

• Date: 04 Dec 2015
                        • Failed after: 10 days usage
                        • BIOS firmware: Intel BIOS v.0350 (as installed on 26 Nov 2015)
                        • BIOS Update conclusion: Intel BIOS v.0350 fails to eliminate the 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem

"Effective change: Devices tab > USB configuration > xHCI Mode > changed from 'Smart Auto' to 'Enabled'

Only time will tell if this solution proves to be effective."

'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' incident #5

• Date: 14  Dec 2015
                        • Failed after: 10 days usage
                        • BIOS firmware: Intel BIOS v.0352 (as installed on 10 Dec 2015)
                        • BIOS settings: as suggested by mikec_intel
                        • BIOS Update conclusion: Intel BIOS v.0352 fails to eliminate the 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem
                        • BIOS Settings conclusion: the BIOS Settings suggestions by mikec_intel fail to eliminate the 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem

UPDATE: well, that didn't take long – NUC bricking incident #6 just happened, the day after I installed the System76 BIOS v.0350 to my NUC's firmware.

'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead Meerkat' incident #6

• Date: 18 Dec 2015
                        • Failed after: 4 days usage
                        • BIOS firmware: System76 BIOS v.0350 (as installed on 17 Dec 2015)
                        • BIOS settings: as suggested by mikec_intel
                        • BIOS Update conclusion: System76 BIOS v.0350 fails to eliminate the 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead NUC' problem

I'll re-install Intel BIOS v.0352, and avoid using Ubuntu Suspend to avoid NUC bricking incident #7, pending negotiations with System76 to replace my defective computer.

As you can see, if you have any further fixes for Intel's well-known 'Linux Suspend > Dead NUC' problem, I'm more than willing to try them out and report the results from my currently defective Intel NUC5i5RYH.

Yours in continuing exasperation and disappointment,

Tim Jones

About This Computer and command line version info output.png

'About This Computer' + command line version info output

$ # Ubuntu version info
                        $ lsb_release -a
                        Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                        Description: Ubuntu 15.04
                        Release: 15.04
                        Codename: vivid

$ # Linux kernel version summary
                        $ uname -mrs
                        Linux 3.19.0-41-generic x86_64

$ # Linux kernel full version info
                        $ uname -a
                        Linux DalinianMeerkat 3.19.0-41-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 4 18:18:11 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/{ostype,osrelease,version}
                        Linux
                        3.19.0-41-generic
                        #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 4 18:18:11 UTC 2015

$ cat /proc/version
                        Linux version 3.19.0-41-generic (buildd@lgw01-59) (gcc version 4.9.2 (Ubuntu 4.9.2-10ubuntu13) ) #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 4 18:18:11 UTC 2015

[1] An adjoining thread:

• 'NUC failure after Linux sleep / hibernate / suspend: SOLUTION(?)'

» https://communities.intel.com/thread/93211

• 9. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
                          nikitas

Hi all,

I just wanted to add I have the EXACT same issue with the initiator of this thread. Same Meerkat, ubuntu version, BIOS version etc. I got it end of September and ran into the suspend > brick issue about a week after that.

I did contact System76 once I did the CMOS trick (what a pain), and I also got the "This is new to us" story and I'm yet to hear anything back. What's certain here is that System 76 are indeed lying to their customers.

@Mike: I also appreciate your response and looking forward to seeing this issue fixed.

nik

• 10. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
                            Angela.Smith

Hey Tim, thanks for all the effort you're putting in to highlight and document this problem, and to help Intel find a fix for it.

Like you, I need an Ubuntu computer that I can rely upon to sleep and wake. Seems that necessarily excludes Intel NUCs just now, since so many NUC+Linux owners are reporting that Linux suspend risks bricking their NUC - and without a reset button, only fully taking the computer apart can unbrick it: that's not for me, thank you. Yet at least Intel seem to be honest enough to admit that this is an on-going problem for which they've yet to bring out a fix.

Seems like System76 aren't so trustworthy, though: with regard to their "We fixed it!" bios upgrade, their tech support is telling you "We have not modifies [sic] the suspending routine in the release we have" - so not surprisingly your Meerkat still gets bricked with it installed - while their saleswoman Emma is telling me "We do different development once we receive our products and still do not have any issues with the suspend feature since the new Bios was implemented."; and "We don't speak for Intel, so if they don't have a fix, that's on them." (wait, what?!!!). Now nikitas, another Meerkat owner, is reporting identical bricking - and in his opinion, "What's certain here is that System 76 are indeed lying to their customers." That's more than enough red flags for me - I'm out of here.

Since a System76 Meerkat is a re-badged Intel NUC, Meerkats obviously inherit the NUC's design flaws, and all the reported evidence points to neither System76 nor Intel having yet stopped the Linux suspend command from risking bricking these computers. So thank you Tim, for helping me to understand why I need to look elsewhere for a dependable Ubuntu system - and here's hoping System76 will do the right thing by you, so you get either a non-defective Meerkat or a refund.

@snowpine: hope you also get a non-defective Meerkat, too - but sorry to say that the chance of that happening doesn't look at all high right now (IMHO).

Anybody else have a suggestion for a mini PC that runs Ubuntu flawlessly, including reliable sleep/wake functionality?

• 11. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
                              venik212

In an attempt to avoid the bricking-after-suspend issue, I have used SHUTDOWN.  I then discovered that this, too, is problematic.  I turned the NUC  on by pressing the power button, but within a few seconds it died.  Puzzled, I repeated the action, and now it came up just fine.  Searching on this site I discovered that there is a parallel stream of anguished, frustrated NUC users who are struggling with this very issue (intermittent, unpredictable starting from a shutdown). 

I am writing this on a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro I have had for two years, used daily for several hours, going through suspend, shutdown, etc, without ever having a problem.  It runs linux Mint/cinnnamoon, the same software that seems to  baffle the NUC.  Clearly, it IS possible to build a reliable computer using this software-- it is just that Intel has not figured out how to do it yet.

• 12. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
                                snowpine

Hi Tim, glad System76 did the right thing and sent you the return labels. I'm sure you will use your refund to purchase a replacement computer that meets your needs. Nikitas, I hope they take good care of you too. Don't be afraid to bypass tech support and get in touch with someone high up the company's chain of command. The founder of the company is named Carl Richell, and I'm sure he'd like to know if his customers are being mistreated, why don't you give him a call and see if there is anything he can do to help you?

I'm sorry if I gave the mistaken impression I was considering a Meerkat. I would never, ever buy another Intel NUC (or rebranded Meerkat) after my experience with the NUC5i7 kit. I haven't received my (non-Meerkat) System76 yet, so I have nothing, good or bad, to say about the company at this point.

• 13. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
                                  snowpine

In a supreme twist of irony, the Meerkat has gone on sale just during the last couple of days while we were having this conversation! I think someone over at System76 is following this discussion and has a sense of humor.

• 14. Re: NUC5i5RYH Bricked by Ubuntu Suspend for Fifth Time
                                    Dalinian

Hi Folks, gotta say – it's good to know I'm not alone in suffering these tribulations.

@nikitas: thank you for letting us know that your Meerkat is also expressing the 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead Meerkat' defect; and I'm sorry to hear that you're also having unpleasant experiences with System76. If I may, I'd like to ask you a couple questions:

Q1. On what date did you report your 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead Meerkat' experience to System76?

Q2. What's the name of the System76 tech support person who gave you the "This is new to us" story?

@Angela.Smith: thanks for your kind appreciation, and you're welcome, citizen. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news about System76 and their defective Meerkat; and I respect your choice to shop somewhere else for a reliable Ubuntu mini PC.

Thanks too for sharing the deceptive sales pitch you were given – at best, maybe the System76 Sales Department really do believe their techs have solved the 'Ubuntu Suspend > Dead Meerkat' defect, even though their Tech Support Department knows that no fix yet exists. Such corporate doublethink is indeed a Big Red Flag.

@venik212: sorry to hear that you're also suffering from a second defect – "intermittent, unpredictable starting from a shutdown". This hasn't yet occurred on my Meerkat, but I'm nearly always using a self-coded shutdown script, that's called by a power button icon on my Unity Launcher bar:

Dalinian custom shutdown script diagram.png

My custom shutdown shell script (click to embiggen)

Can't recall the source of the shutdown code (case 0 in the script below) beyond "I googled for it", yet it does the 'OFF' job swiftly; so in case you'd like to try this out, here's the code in my 'shutdown-1.sh' shell script:

#!/bin/bash
                                    zenity  --question \
                                    --title "Confirmation Request"   \
                                    --text  "Shut down Dalinian Meerkat now?" \
                                    --ok-label "Shut Down" \
                                    --cancel-label "Cancel" \
                                    --window-icon="/usr/share/icons/LoginIcons/apps/48/system-shutdown.svg"

# Get exit status
                                    # 0 means user hit [Shut Down] button.
                                    # 1 means user hit [Cancel] button or [Esc] key.
                                    response=$?
                                    case $response in
                                       0) dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.login1 /org/freedesktop/login1 "org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.PowerOff" boolean:true;;
                                       1) echo "Don't Shutdown";;
                                    esac

@snowpine: please forgive my misunderstanding of your System76 purchase – here's hoping their due diligence for the model you're getting was superior to their NUC > Meerkat fail, and that your new system runs Ubuntu flawlessly.

Thanks for your suggestion of taking my misgivings to the top, to System76 CEO Carl Richell. Having discovered the simplicity of their email addy schema, email address verification [1] confirms that "carl@system76.com is a valid deliverable e-mail box address." So if another unreasonable obstacle is placed in my path by System76 tier 1 staff, I've a self-escalation pathway for my complaints.

Thanks too for the timely "$50 off Meerkats + Free Shipping!" alert – or "Flogging Faulty PCs Fast!!!", as we've discovered the subtext to be.

[1] Email address verification » http://www.ip-tracker.org/checker/email-lookup.php

1 2 3 Previous Next