3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 2:43 PM by EstebanC_Intel

Data recovery on Matrix RAID 1 drive

4merSunSE

Platform:       HP

Processor:     Pentium Dual Core 2.6 gHz

Arrays:          2 RAID 1 arrays, System and Data

Drives:           4 Seagate 640g, drives using Matrix Storage v. 8.19.0.1023

Last weekend, I attempted to upgrade to Windows 10.  I was ready with the new drivers I downloaded from the Intel site; but didn't get a chance to install them.  I got dragged down a rabbit hole with Alice.

Windows Update [apparently] loaded the new driver for the system drive [contains OS image, boot sector, User/AppData, etc.] though all the readme files prepared me to load the new drivers once Windows 10 was installed.

The installation choked because of the second RAID 1 array.  I was able to boot only after I disconnected both physical spindles of that RAID 1 array.

I tried with one of the drives disconnected; and, the system still would not boot.  I heard a clicking sound; so, I thought I maybe experienced a drive failure during the upgrade process; so, I swapped drives.  No luck.  I checked the cable connections to the motherboard; all is OK.

I disconnected both spindles from that pair; and, I attached a spare spindle I have [initially to see if I had a controller problem.]  The system booted. 

I rolled back to Windows 7; but, the system still won't boot with one or the other or both of the suspect drives connected.

I just want to recover the data [which is mostly work space and back ups,]  and recreate the RAID 1 array; so, I put the one of the suspect spindles in a SATA-USB bridge external appliance that I have.  The system doesn't recognize the drive.

I've poked around the Intel site to see if there was a "sledge hammer' solution, i.e. some data recovery software, and reformat both suspect spindles; but, I can't find any.

If anyone knows of such a utility on the Intel site, please point me to it.  If anyone has experienced this problem, and has a solution; I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Data recovery on Matrix RAID 1 drive
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello 4merSunSE:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I was able to find this workaround for this situation that may work for you.

Basically, it would be uninstall the driver for the RAID controller and then install them again.

hard drive - Access denied to RAID disk after upgrade to Windows 10 - Super User

Regards,

Esteban C

• 2. Re: Data recovery on Matrix RAID 1 drive
            4merSunSE

Hello Esteban;

I tried that procedure you directed me to on StackExchange.  It didn't help.  The spindle shows up in the device manager; but, the OS doesn't see it.  I'm running Windows 10; the Microsoft update app "pestered" me no end.    I let it download; and picked future date; and whatta ya know; the app upgraded while I was out of the house; so, my environment is a little different now.

The Intel Matrix Storage Console won't load; [I thought, I'd take a look at the volumes].  I get a message reporting that "a plug-in did not provide a page for the selected device."  "A plug-in failed to load."

Any thoughts?

The spindle shows as un-allocated in the Disk Management app.  Are there any Intel utilities you know of that will do a low level scan of the drive; and, help me identify files?  At this point, I'd just be happy to have the space.

I'm really confused by this behavior; my boot drive is fine.  It's just this second RAID pair that is acting up.  Do you have any idea what that's all about?

Any suggestions or leads are appreciated.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Data recovery on Matrix RAID 1 drive
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, 4merSunSE:

I would like to get some information about your system to better assist you on this.

Please access the link below and provide me with the report you can save after scanning your system.

This will gather the necessary information for me to identify your system.

Download Intel® System Support Utility

I look forward to your answer.

Regards,

Esteban C