Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

IMSC initializes array each boot.

idata
Employee

About two weeks ago, IMSC reported a degraded RAID1 with two WD 250g drives . Before pulling the drives out for replacement, I upgraded IMSC to the latest version of 8.9.0.1023. After a reboot, IMSC failed one member of the RAID. I went to Best Buy and got two new WD 640g drives. I moved the "good" 250g drive to SATA port 0, and installed one of the 640g drives to SATA port 1. I let IMSC rebuild the RAID to that drive. Once that was done, I removed the 250g drive and moved the 640g drive into SATA port 0 and installed the other 640g drive into SATA port 1. I powered the system and let IMSC rebuild to the new 640g drive. After this was done, I rebooted the system and IMSC began its first of many initializing of the Array_0000. It finished with a handful of verify errors. I rebooted again, and again IMSC began initializing the array. This time no verify errors. Great. This process takes about 4 hours each time with this size of an array. Went about my business with the computer and then shut down for the day. I turned on the system the next day and again IMSC initializes the array. A few hours later, I have my system back and set it up to do a chkdsk on the next reboot. I reboot and let chkdsk do its thing. That took a few hours, too. Then, as usual, once I get logged in, the disk light is pegged and IMSC is initializing the array. Perhaps it was the unallocated space in the 640g hard drive (the difference between the 250g drive and the 640g drive)? I format and name this unallocated drive as "Z". Reboot the system and IMSC initializes the array, again. It finally finishes and I search the internet for answers. I downgraded IMSC to 8.8. Same thing, IMSC initializes each boot. I went back to 8.9. I turn off Hard Drive Data Cache and Volume Right-back cache. I reboot and IMSC initializes. Sometimes it finds verify errors, sometimes the verify and repair finds nothing. I figure I have used up about two years worth of disk drive life with IMSC doing the array initializing for hours at a time. I am at my wits end with this constant initializing at each reboot. I even did a disk defragmentation that took about 12 hours on Christmas day. Still IMSC initializes each boot. Here is the IMSC system report:

System Information

Kit Installed: 8.9.0.1023

Kit Install History: 8.9.0.1023, Uninstall

Shell Version: 8.9.0.1023

OS Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business

OS Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

System Name: HOME

System Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC.

System Model: Basswood3G

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz

BIOS Version/Date: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.09, 06/08/2007

Language: ENU

Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager

Intel RAID Controller: Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller

Number of Serial ATA ports: 6

RAID Option ROM Version: 6.0.0.1022

Driver Version: 8.9.0.1023

RAID Plug-In Version: 8.9.0.1023

Language Resource Version of the RAID Plug-In: 8.9.0.1023

Create Volume Wizard Version: 8.9.0.1023

Language Resource Version of the Create Volume Wizard: 8.9.0.1023

Create Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard Version: 8.9.0.1023

Language Resource Version of the Create Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard: 8.9.0.1023

Modify Volume Wizard Version: 8.9.0.1023

Language Resource Version of the Modify Volume Wizard: 8.9.0.1023

Delete Volume Wizard Version: 8.9.0.1023

Language Resource Version of the Delete Volume Wizard: 8.9.0.1023

ISDI Library Version: 8.9.0.1023

Event Monitor User Notification Tool Version: 8.9.0.1023

Language Resource Version of the Event Monitor User Notification Tool: 8.9.0.1023

Event Monitor Version: 8.9.0.1023

Array_0000

Hard Drive Data Cache Enabled: Yes

Size: 1192.3 GB

Free Space: 0 GB

Number of Hard Drives: 2

Hard Drive Member 1: WDC WD6400AADS-00M2B0

Hard Drive Member 2: WDC WD6400AADS-00M2B0

Number of Volumes: 1

Volume Member 1: RAID1

RAID1

System Volume: Yes

Volume Write-Back Cache Enabled: Yes

RAID Level: RAID 1 (mirroring)

Size: 596.1 GB

Physical Sector Size: 512 Bytes

Logical Sector Size: 512 Bytes

Number of Hard Drives: 2

Hard Drive Member 1: WDC WD6400AADS-00M2B0

Hard Drive Member 2: WDC WD6400AADS-00M2B0

Parent Array: Array_0000

Hard Drive 0

Usage: Array member

Device Port: 0

Device Port Location: Internal

Current Serial ATA Transfer Mode: Generation 2

Model: WDC WD6400AADS-00M2B0

Serial Number: WD-WCAV53132523

Firmware: 01.00A01

Native Command Queuing Support: Yes

Hard Drive 1

Usage: Array member

Device Port: 1

Current Serial ATA Transfer Mode: Generation 2

Model: WDC WD6400AADS-00M2B0

Serial Number: WD-WCAV52922139

Firmware: 01.00A01

Native Command Queuing Support: Yes

Unused Port 0

Device Port: 3

Unused Port 1

Device Port: 4

Unused Port 2

Device Port: 5

CD/DVD Drive 0

Device Port: 2

Current Serial ATA Transfer Mode: Generation 1

Model: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H653L

Serial Number: Data not reported

Firmware: 0514

HELP!!!!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Just to keep this topic fresh...

Yesterday I reverted IMSC back to version 8.8, and disabled volume write-back cache and hard drive data cache in the hope that when I shut down windows vista, I get a "clean" shutdown. So, I log off and do a shut down. Almost immediately I get a quick flash of the BSOD on the screen before the computer powers down. Obviously not a clean shutdown. Upon power up, the computer boots and takes quite awhile before the login screen appears. The disk drives are pegged with activity. When I am finally able to login and access IMSC it is busy initializing the array and doing its usual verify and repair. 19 verification errors are found and repaired. I then log off and shut down and disconnect the member 2 of my 2-drive RAID1. I power on the system and let IMSC tag the array as degraded and let it get to the log in screen. I then shut dow, re-attach memeber 2, and power on. On the control-I screen, I see the array as "rebuild". Good, this is what I wanted. I figure I should let IMSC rebuild the whole array from scratch hoping that this will shake the cobwebs from IMSC. About 12 hours later, the array is rebuilt. I eventually login and do a few things in IE, log off and let the computer stay on all night. This morning, the computer is as I left it at the login screen, no disk activity that I can tell. I do a shut down and then power on. During the boot process, the control-I screen shows the array as normal, bootable and both array members as kosher. Then the screen with the green bars moving from left to right inside the box appears for quite awhile. This is not good. I normally see the green bars for about 20 to 30 cycles (only 14 cycles when the array was booted as degraded), this time the green bars cycle 97 times! The next thing that happens is a chkdsk on the three partitions within the array, drives C, D and Z. Finally the system gets to the login screen. After logging in and accessing IMSC it's back to initializing, verifying and repairing. It just finished moments ago with 2 verification errors. Without a logoff, shutdown, login, I'm going to force a verification and repair right now. Stay tuned. (Intel, are you listening?)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Great. Another 11 errors verified and repaired. Will this never end?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Installed updated NVidia drivers. It required a restart. Guess what? Two hours later 39 errors verified and repaired. Groundhog day.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is still happening daily. I have now opened a support incident with Western Digital to see if they have any input. As the world turns...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have no help to offer but I am experiencing the same problem. HP, Microsoft, Hitachi, Intel, no help from anyone. My computer has worked perfectly for 2 1/2 years prior to mid-November 2009. Then, verify and rebuild at every startup. No errors are ever detected.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yep. Just the sound of cricket from Intel. This past weekend, WD replied that I should take the drives back to Best Buy for replacement. I went by BB Sunday and talked about this issue with a Geek Squad rep. She suggested that I completely zero and format the two hard drives, then load the OS from scratch. Basically start over. She doesn't think it's the drives. This kinda negates the whole purpose of a RAID in the first place (lIke I have decades of hours to spend doing all this). I'm forced to leave the system on all the time. Yesterday I manually forced the Verify and Repair since the system has been on for about 4 days. The whole thing locked up. No mouse, no keyboard, just the hard drive light giving me a tiny blip of light every second or so. I had to manually shut down the system by holding the power button until it shut off. Upon power up, 3 hours of verifying and repairing (28 found and repaired). This has been a total waste of time and money.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just noted some similarities. My system has the ASUSTek Computer Inc Basswood3g motherboard with a Phoenix Tecnologies BIOS (5.07 5/24/2007). Do you have an HP computer as well? Have you contacted ASUS or Pheonix?

System Information

Kit Installed: 8.8.0.1009

Kit Install History: 8.8.0.1009, Uninstall

Shell Version: 8.8.0.1009

OS Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

OS Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

System Name: DARTHVADER

System Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC.

System Model: Basswood3G

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz

BIOS Version/Date: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.07, 05/24/2007

Language: ENU

Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager

Intel RAID Controller: Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID Controller

Number of Serial ATA ports: 6

RAID Option ROM Version: 6.0.0.1022

Driver Version: 8.8.0.1009

RAID Plug-In Version: 8.8.0.1009

Language Resource Version of the RAID Plug-In: 8.8.0.1009

Create Volume Wizard Version: 8.8.0.1009

Language Resource Version of the Create Volume Wizard: 8.8.0.1009

Create Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard Version: 8.8.0.1009

Language Resource Version of the Create Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard: 8.8.0.1009

Modify Volume Wizard Version: 8.8.0.1009

Language Resource Version of the Modify Volume Wizard: 8.8.0.1009

Delete Volume Wizard Version: 8.8.0.1009

Language Resource Version of the Delete Volume Wizard: 8.8.0.1009

ISDI Library Version: 8.8.0.1009

Event Monitor User Notification Tool Version: 8.8.0.1009

Language Resource Version of the Event Monitor User Notification Tool: 8.8.0.1009

Event Monitor Version: 8.8.0.1009
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's verifying at every startup? Oh, gah, that would drive me batty too.. Verify and repair does run automatically in the latest drivers, but it should only run after a dirty shutdown or if it's initiated by the user. Are these clean shutdowns/reboots? (for example Start -> Reboot -- basically shutdowns/reboots that allow all system activities to complete before the system powers off)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As far as I know they are clean. It happens whether I do a Start/Restart of Start/Shut Down then power on. After being on for a couple of days, I did a manual V&R yesterday. 33 Errors verified and repaired. "Batty" doesn't even touch how I feel. Right now I'm looking at my shut down icon and it shows that there are windows updates ready to be installed then my computer will shutdown and restart. Gee, I wonder what's going to happen when I restart. If I find time this weekemd, I might do what the Geek Squad girl suggested and back up the whole thing, and do a format of the raid drives and start over. Can't wait. This has to end!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In my case the verify and rebuild process happens after normal Windows shutdowns.

One thing I noted today, the Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM (v6.0.0.1022 ICH8R wRAID5) reports a status of Normal. Once Windows starts, however, the verify and rebuild is in progress.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, same here. The information tab that appears in IMSC when I click on the raid (RAID1 in my case) shows the Status parameter with a "Normal" value. Also, while booting, what I call the Ctrl-I screen shows the raid as normal. Yet, once Windows fires up, the disk light is pegged and my usual verify and repair begins for the next couple of hours. Now, two years ago when I got this PC with the orignal 250g raid, a legit verify and repair upon reboot was identified on the Ctrl-I screen as "Verify". I know my shutdowns are clean, yet something is not getting cleared in the registry or some ini file somewhere keeps telling IMSC to verify and repair. I really don't want to rebuild this whole system from scratch. Sigh.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for reporting all this guys.

I'm getting the same thing. The computer is a little over a year old. It ran fine till the hard disk crashed, so I reinstalled with 2 WD 1 TB drives, in a Mirror Raid(1) this time. I Installed Windows 7 (64), but the system constantly crashes at random times. Then when it reboots IMSC reports Status: "Verifying and Reparing" which takes several hours (I can reboot durring this verify process). It usually reports dozens of Verification Errors "found and repeaired" durring the process.

What are these errors? I've done full individual disk scans from the BIOS on both disks and no problems at all.

Also, how do you get SMART data out of disks that are managed by IMSC? I can't find any SMART reporting tools that will work with this.

It looks like this MIROR RAID(1) by Intel totally sucks, wish I had something else. The only solution I can see is to switch out of RAID(1)??

That would totally suck.

Brent Allsop

0 Kudos